2014 Silverado

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
These things look amazing and I want one.

Back to 4 wheel disc brakes. I don't really care, there's no need for them on a half ton. Drums work fine. Disc brakes look cool and that's what people care about. There are no towing or payload specs so maybe it's high enough where disc brakes come in handy.

Front parking assist - which allows an auto-adjusting cruise control. I like that part, when you can't just change lanes to pass someone, the cruise control will slow you down until you can pull out, then speeds you up again.

Some sort of vibrating seat, alerts you when you get too close or swerve or something like that. I dunno, I don't think it's necessary but hey it's all in the name of safety.

I love the new gauges and dash layout. I liked the gauges in my current truck, they are easy to read and the information panel is nice, but the new edition is even better. The controls for it are on the steering wheel and not over on the dash. Easier to cycle through info, I like to pay attention to fuel economy, transmission temp, tire pressure, etc. If there's information, I love to keep on it. No sense having a gauge if you don't look at it.

I like the looks of the truck, it's a good improvement. I don't care about projector headlamps. I think 99% of all other vehicles that have them are completely annoying. We'll see.

Engines are supposed to be all new. Same displacements, different tech. Direct injection, awesome. Variable valve timing, already have it. Displacement tech, already have it. There are no power ratings yet, I would imagine they'd be on par with competitors. Looking 400ish HP with the 5.3L. They bring up the 4.3L like it's going to actually be good this time around. It's dead on reliable, but useless in a fullsize currently.

Crew cab half ton will get the option of a standard bed of past, 5'3" or a full 6'6" like the 2500HD's currently get. There's no 8' crew option that I know of.

OK here are the pics, I love pics LOL

Troy G

Jan 10, 2012
Looks like they went to a boxier/straighter lines. With the technology available for lighting I don't see the need for a projector low and a halogen hi beam. Bi-xenon HID all the way. Tom, a properly aimed OEM HID should be less annoying than halogen. It is all those plug and play Chicom HIDs is halogen reflectors that are annoying. From the pictures you posted I am not liking the interior look but I would have to see. I am interested to see what they do for engines and what power and fuel economy they get out of them.

I am also curious to see what Toyota has in store for the new 2014 Tundra.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Looks like they went to a boxier/straighter lines. With the technology available for lighting I don't see the need for a projector low and a halogen hi beam. Bi-xenon HID all the way. Tom, a properly aimed OEM HID should be less annoying than halogen. It is all those plug and play Chicom HIDs is halogen reflectors that are annoying. From the pictures you posted I am not liking the interior look but I would have to see. I am interested to see what they do for engines and what power and fuel economy they get out of them.

I am also curious to see what Toyota has in store for the new 2014 Tundra.

I love the headlight setup in my current truck. Never been able to see so well, they are set up perfectly IMO.

I do like the interior from the pics at this point. I'm sure that 99% of it is just simply getting used to it.

As far as Toyota's go, I can't stand them. I drove a buddy's Tundra, it was awful!!!!!

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
Those touch panel dash controls are cool....until they go out. My buddy's wife's parents paid off her Lexus when they got married, and a year later the touch panel went out. Cost him $6500 for a used one. And without it, no heat, no air, no radio, no nothin. I'll stick to the simpler stuff muh self....

Reactions: 2 people

rburg

May 1, 2012
TN
I would look for a used 92 Dakota. About 5 years ago mine was worth $800 trade in. I wonder what it would be worth now.

Reactions: 1 person

motomedik

Feb 26, 2012
Very cool looking trucks, it'll be a bit before I own and that new.
The styling kinda looks a bit to me like the designers looked at the pre-87 body and modernized it. I still love those trucks. If i found a good condition 86-87 3/4 0r 1 ton 4x4 I'd drive it and love it for hauling. Might get a mil surplus one day for a second truck.
It is hard to go back once you have the newer stuff. I drive an 06 Silvey and could not believe the stuff it came with for a pretty basic truck. And it has been good, but I bought it for the fact that it was drum in the rear, and has a shifter on the floor for 4x4. Can you even get that anymore?
I do love the way that 5.3 runs, and the newer ones are more power and better econo.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
All depends on what ya plan to do with it. I wouldn't need any more cargo space at this point. And I don't think I could afford the model with the touch screen jazz, them are probably like the current trucks, $45k+ yikes!

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
I rant and rave all the time about how much I love new vehicles and how awesome they are. I love the automotive industry and they latest and the greatest thing that are out there and yet to come. I always pay attention to the auto shows and I've been getting Motor Trend magazine since I was 16yrs old. Started getting Truck Trend right when that was released as well.

But I won't be paying the high prices to own something so high end and new. While I drool at the new stuff and gawk over how cool I think the newest stuff is, the real realty is I'm driving an 08 Ranger. It's a 5spd with no power anything, no cruise, not even tilt wheel. I think the only options it has are 4wd and AC. I could prolly afford something a little bit nicer and bigger, but I'm a bit more modest these days and my truck can do anything and everything I need it to do without the glamorous bells and whistles or the giant monthly payments...!!

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
I hear ya chuckr. Have no car payments, paid cash for my last six vehicles. Of course there are draw backs, I have to work on them more. Keeps cash in the bank though.

TK

We received the first pics of the 2014 a couple months ago. Notice the inner fender liner that extends slightly? I think this is brilliant for those of us in snow salt land. Should keep the sides cleaner while hopefully helping with rust out. Sweet trucks!

Being in AG country, the silverado's have been stomping Ford for years. Now that the Eco boost gimmick is almost all but called out, Gm will be rolling more on our roads.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
It's about time the Silverado caught up to the Sierra in looks. ;)

I have liked the looks of GMC in the past more than Chevy. But Chevy beat them this time around for sure. I'm no fan of the gimmicky LED lights, they're queer and do nothing but annoy me. And GMC took a huge step back IMO getting rid of the dual headlights. The lights we have in our trucks now, at night, illuminate behind the doors :WTF: How they do it I dunno, but sitting in my truck I can look out beside me and even behind and have illumination that was never seen before in these trucks. Also when you have the high beams on in the dual light trucks, they both come on. Can't do that with only one headlight :sick: And I liked their taillights on the current models also, don't like the split upper and lower on the Chevy's, oh well. But hey you're the one that bought the GayMan'sChevy :cucumber:

J/K buddy I think they're all nice. Chevy got the jump this time though :p

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I rant and rave all the time about how much I love new vehicles and how awesome they are. I love the automotive industry and they latest and the greatest thing that are out there and yet to come. I always pay attention to the auto shows and I've been getting Motor Trend magazine since I was 16yrs old. Started getting Truck Trend right when that was released as well.

But I won't be paying the high prices to own something so high end and new. While I drool at the new stuff and gawk over how cool I think the newest stuff is, the real realty is I'm driving an 08 Ranger. It's a 5spd with no power anything, no cruise, not even tilt wheel. I think the only options it has are 4wd and AC. I could prolly afford something a little bit nicer and bigger, but I'm a bit more modest these days and my truck can do anything and everything I need it to do without the glamorous bells and whistles or the giant monthly payments...!!

I'm a fairly simple guy muhself, but I spend 20ish thousand miles a year in my truck, and not just that but usually longer trips not just a lot of short ones. I like muh comfort and bells and whistles. It's a tool I use and I use alot. Aaaaaaannnnndddddd I could use the help from tax purposes lol either making monthly payments or repairs, I choose monthly payments as I can depreciate a new truck but not new brakes, tires, ball joints, bearings, etc. ;)

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I hear ya chuckr. Have no car payments, paid cash for my last six vehicles. Of course there are draw backs, I have to work on them more. Keeps cash in the bank though.

TK

We received the first pics of the 2014 a couple months ago. Notice the inner fender liner that extends slightly? I think this is brilliant for those of us in snow salt land. Should keep the sides cleaner while hopefully helping with rust out. Sweet trucks!

Being in AG country, the silverado's have been stomping Ford for years. Now that the Eco boost gimmick is almost all but called out, Gm will be rolling more on our roads.

I didn't see that. I saw they widened the stance, and tires are getting wider and wider now, wasn't sure how that was going to fare. This last truck I bought has the Z71 appearance thingy package and that comes with some extra set of inner fender liners that my 2012 doesn't have. I'm hoping that will aid in keeping the crap out of it. I should have it not dad LOL because he always rides with someone else when camping or hunting. I usually take my truck and have guys ride with me. Go figure, oh well next time around :D

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
I love comfort and bells and whistles. I'd just rather spend my money on other things (ie projects around the house).

I do roughly 30k a year. It's a ton of driving and a vehicle depreciates awfully quick when being driven that much....!! Something brand spankin' ain't as near as nice and purdy 30k miles one year later.

As long as it can work I'm happy. Dunno what my next truck will be. This is my 2nd Ranger. First one was a regular cab 2wd, having the extendo cab with 4wd is a hell of an upgrade. Been driving this one for almost two and a half years. I love the Ranger, I'll prolly get another one in a cuppa years. I have an urge to get an Eff One Fifty but that goes along with every urge I have to get every truck that's out there right now, lol.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I love comfort and bells and whistles. I'd just rather spend my money on other things (ie projects around the house).

I do roughly 30k a year. It's a ton of driving and a vehicle depreciates awfully quick when being driven that much....!! Something brand spankin' ain't as near as nice and purdy 30k miles one year later.

As long as it can work I'm happy. Dunno what my next truck will be. This is my 2nd Ranger. First one was a regular cab 2wd, having the extendo cab with 4wd is a hell of an upgrade. Been driving this one for almost two and a half years. I love the Ranger, I'll prolly get another one in a cuppa years. I have an urge to get an Eff One Fifty but I that goes along with every urge I have to get every truck that's out there right now, lol.

Honestly a full size truck will net you better mileage and more capability..... I had a tacoma for years, I get the same miles in my fullsize trucks and can do far more with them. Except park :cry2: It is different though between a personal expense and a business expense, I bet I'd have a different outlook. Positive equity in a vehicle can net you a good one next time around, bringing that monthly expense down. But the net of the tax break is still high. Personal use don't get no tax break LOL