20hp (GX620) Honda gas engine wont charge battery

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
Maybe somebody can help me with this. Have a 2008 Husqvarna FS 520 floor saw with a GX620 Honda 4 cycle engine, 220 hours. Started cranking slower and slower and finally quit cranking without booster cables. Fresh battery will last a couple days, so I think it isn't charging. I've checked all the wires on the outside of the engine and they seem to all have good connection and are plugged in. I haven't dug inside the engine yet, so I'm not sure what even charges these engines. Any one experienced in these engines that might could get me started on the right track? Any common fixes? Thanks.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
http://engines.honda.com/pdf/manuals/31ZJ1611.pdf

I don't have the ac amperage specs here at home. Need to check the rectifier with a meter. If 12v+ is not present, then the stator needs to be measured for AC spec. Also a set of diodes that can get fried if the rectifier goes.

Does anyone else feel dirty typing out rectifier?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
Flux capacitor? It's time for a new one dood, 200 hours? Worn out Honda crap

Not sure, never had to work on any of these small gas engines before, I couldn't tell ya what a flux capacitor looks like lol. Yep, 22x hours, been a good one until now. I've had good service from the few Honda engines we've had in the past.....

Thanks for the manual Mitch! I hope to get it straightened out this week maybe, my guys are getting tired of charging the battery and carrying booster cables around lol.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa

flux capacitor by mweba1, on Flickr

220 hours isn't a quarter of that engines life. Just bustin on ya :evilgrin:

Seriously though, meter out the rectifier/regulator. If juice isn't flowing follow that diagram up the line. They really are not to complex...just a new game for you.

Reactions: 2 people

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
http://engines.honda.com/pdf/manuals/31ZJ1611.pdf

I don't have the ac amperage specs here at home. Need to check the rectifier with a meter. If 12v+ is not present, then the stator needs to be measured for AC spec. Also a set of diodes that can get fried if the rectifier goes.

Does anyone else feel dirty typing out rectifier?

Got time to take a little look at it today, but didn't mess with it any. Best I can tell, the charging wire leaves the Rectifier/Regulator (RR) and goes to the starter to the Hot terminal from the battery. That would be the wire I want to check for 12+ volts right?

I'll show my ignorance again, what and where would a set of Diodes be on this and what do they do? The Stator is under the flywheel cover that actually makes the charge, like an alternator right?

This saw has a honda engine, with I'm guessing Husqvarna wiring. The Honda manual or the Husqvarna FS520 manual doesn't show me much,... or I can't understand it one. Lots of wires that isn't shown on the Honda manual so I assume it's Husqvarna wiring......also I know it doesn't matter but I believe the Air filter system and Exhaust system are also Husqvarna along with a few other odd engine parts.

Thanks