2171 Leaking Gas

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Last week I noticed my 2171 leaking gas when I filled it up but figured it was pressure in the tank. Then, tonight as I fueled it up again I noticed it leaking again. It is coming from between tank and crank body on the clutch side. Without tearing it apart tonight (firewood tomorrow) can anyone suggest where to look? I am guessing it is the tank vent but I really don't have repair experience with this saw.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
My 2171 fuel tank vent has a hose attached to it but the new vents don't. Ny functional difference between the two? One better than the other?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
If its leaking its leaking around the vent not through it. Get a new vent. Dry out the tank. Super glue the new vent in. No more leaks. Change the little white puck as necessary every decade.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
If its leaking its leaking around the vent not through it. Get a new vent. Dry out the tank. Super glue the new vent in. No more leaks. Change the little white puck as necessary every decade.
No white puck. There is a hose attached to the vent that comes into the carb box. I am going to get a new vent tomorrow at Ware's. They have both styles, is one better than another? So if you super glue it in, what happens if the vent goes bad?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
The vent is the white puck, not the black holder. The white puck can be removed and replaced later on. Or you can use the elbow and the fuel line. Either way, seal the black piece to the tank so that won't be a source of a leak - which is usually the case.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Well, I picked up both types of vents this morning. Neither of them want to stay in on their own. Terrible design. I am not quite ready to go the super glue route so I did some searching and found that some AS members had luck with o-rings on the tube. I picked up a few o-rings tonight so I am going to give it a try tomorrow. What about RTV? I just don't like the idea of not being to service the vent in the future if I super glue it in there.

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
RTV isn't going to resist gas. Automotive "GOOP" works ok if you let it cure well before exposing it to gas. I fixed a 385 vent identical to yours this way.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
It was a good idea with the o-rings but no dice. Oh well. Off to get some Seal All tomorrow to glue that damn tube in. JJ, I looked at that Goop and it says that gasoline will dissolve the automotive stuff.

Why the hell did they design the vent this way? Dumbasses.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I ain't got a problem with mine or most others that I see for service. Must just be yours. I've even seen a bunch the rather float in there and spin without leaking. Did yours still leak after you replaced it or did you not fuel it up?

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
It was a good idea with the o-rings but no dice. Oh well. Off to get some Seal All tomorrow to glue that damn tube in. JJ, I looked at that Goop and it says that gasoline will dissolve the automotive stuff.

Why the hell did they design the vent this way? Dumbasses.
Interesting- mine has held for over a year now...

PB

Nov 5, 2012
I ain't got a problem with mine or most others that I see for service. Must just be yours. I've even seen a bunch the rather float in there and spin without leaking. Did yours still leak after you replaced it or did you not fuel it up?
I didn't fuel it up, but with the hose and white tube I could turn the tank on the side and it would fall out with a tap. I have the black tube and puck in there now. I will try it for a while and see if it leaks. If it does then I will glue it in there.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I didn't fuel it up, but with the hose and white tube I could turn the tank on the side and it would fall out with a tap. I have the black tube and puck in there now. I will try it for a while and see if it leaks. If it does then I will glue it in there.
Did you try to put the elbow in the black tube? I've never tried before.....

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Did you try to put the elbow in the black tube? I've never tried before.....
No. The black tube is shorter than the white and I don't think it will be seated properly if the elbow does fit.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Well I think I got it figured out (I know you were all on the edge of your seat). Went with a smaller o-ring and it doesn't leak and the tube is snug. Hopefully it holds up.

P1040215.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Looks like it will work well. There are many ways to skin a cat. I installed a secondary tank vent on a 670. Well, not really for the intentions of having a vent, but it ended up being that in the end. Alls well that ends well :D

Oh and by the way I'm 95% sure ill be at the forestry expo on Saturday. Can't make Friday.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Looks like it will work well. There are many ways to skin a cat. I installed a secondary tank vent on a 670. Well, not really for the intentions of having a vent, but it ended up being that in the end. Alls well that ends well :D

Oh and by the way I'm 95% sure ill be at the forestry expo on Saturday. Can't make Friday.
I have to give props to Rob066 over at that other site for the idea. My only concern is the ethanol eventually degrading the rubber but for .79 I can handle that.

I am also 95% sure that I will be there too. :) Did we just become best friends?

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thomas1 Jred 2171 For Sale 25
jrcat J Red 2171 For Sale 9
rodburner04 Jonsered 2171 full wrap handle Wanted 0
rodburner04 Removing crank seals on a Jonsered 2171 Chainsawz 6
C I wants a jred 2166, 0r 2171 or husky 372... whats the difference? Chainsawz 32
L 2065,2165,2171,2172 jonsered part saw Wanted 0
S Johnny 2165 and 2171 Chainsawz 22
TK Jonsered CS 2171 NOT recommended for firewood Chainsawz 47
M 2171 (75cc top end)! For Sale 0
B Jonsered 2171 Part it? or Rebuild? Chainsawz 12
Sawbonz Gas tank pinhole quick fix question Chainsawz 23
Emiles Stihl 046 rear handle/gas tank needed Wanted 9
DefinitiveDave how to sharpen gas hedge shears - stihl HS45 Hawgz Garage 10
BloodOnTheIce Husqvarna 254xp hot woods ported Gas Muffler Saw For Sale 2
Black Dog Chainsaw Stihl 066 gas tank - Trade or $$$ Wanted 0
Emiles Stihl 046/460 Rear handle gas tank needed Wanted 0
P Gas Can Marking Chainsawz 15