372xp year 2000

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
This spring has brought a bunch of WTF cases to my bench. This is one of them.

The piston is toast. Intake skirt is cracked, smudged, broken off. There are chunks of metal in the cylinder and in the base. The saw still ran and cut, but "makes this weird clunky noise".

But the cylinder is perfectly fine!!!! Just a little crap beneath the intake port. Chunks of metal cleaned right out of the combustion chamber with no bad marks of any kind. Rod bearings are clean clear and tight as can be. Outer crank bearings "seem" to be fine but there's no way I'd run the saw without replacing them. The PTO seal was slightly leaking, fly side held up along with decomp valve, base gasket, intake, and exhaust.

I still can't get over the fact that this piston is broken, cracked, and deformed - and the cylinder is perfect. The pictures show a little line here or there but the naked eye can't see anything.... And I certainly don't feel anything with a fingernail in there. Aaaaaand the cell phone has bad auto-focus.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Customer saw. Unfortunately he's not only looking at fixing just what we see, he needs work with the fuel tank and possibly the carb too. The saw looks in decent shape overall but I'm estimating a $450 bill when all is said and done. That's pushing the limit pretty good with a 12 year old commercially used saw. He bought it a year ago for $150. So within the first 12-13 months he'd have $600 minimum into the saw, not sure if he's had it repaired elsewhere in the meantime.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Called him yesterday to give him the news. Left a message. He still hasn't called back - and he was in a hurry for it. I'm somewhat assuming he doesn't want the saw repaired and is spending time finding a used replacement or a loaner saw. We shall see!

Cut4fun

May 9, 2012
chainsawrepair.createaforum.com
Sounds like this guy needs to get a 365xt instead. Around $560 with b+c. You working in a dealership could help him into one. :thumbsup:

But why would I give the guy a $70 discount? This is the first time he's ever walked through my door :eek3:
Your price is retail list.

No discount, regular price is one I posted and thats what anyone can get one for. :happywink:

Last edited: