Quantcast

460 D Cylinder

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
I hear a lot of buzz about these top ends. Usually hear stuff like "they're awesome" and "they're pretty rare" and "don't ever get rid of it if ya get yer handz on one".

What's the dillio with these...?? What's the difference between a D cylinder and an ordinary one....??

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Reaction score
D and not a D:jawdrop:

Smaller D shaped combustion chamber makes more compression and had a little better timing numbers if I remember right. :dancingpig:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Probably as completely insanely awesome as the 75cc XPW top end. Errbody gon wan one now......

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Reaction score
Nah the 461 is better any way.

Cut4fun

Reaction score
I heard the same on the D shaped CC on the 026. Matter fact I had one that was ported and with pop up. :hangout:

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Reaction score
There are several different 046/460 cylinders. The earliest 046's, they had the d-shape chamber, larger transfer ducts and larger upper transfers, coupled with more transfer duration. Those saws also had no baffle in the muffler, the 5/8" side outlet and the dual port cover. The last one i put a wheel on, Going off memory here, was around 100/115/75. Very little blowdown. Stock for stock, they will walk the dog over the late model 460 jugs. Not even a contest....

Then they shrunk the upper transfers and tunnels and gave it more blowdown. Consiquently, the exhaust port got smaller when that happened. Finally they ditched the D-shape chamber, gave it even more blowdown, and a pencil sized exhaust port opening.

Freakin EPA....:jerkoff:

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
There are several different 046/460 cylinders. The earliest 046's, they had the d-shape chamber, larger transfer ducts and larger upper transfers, coupled with more transfer duration. Those saws also had no baffle in the muffler, the 5/8" side outlet and the dual port cover. The last one i put a wheel on, Going off memory here, was around 100/115/75. Very little blowdown. Stock for stock, they will walk the dog over the late model 460 jugs. Not even a contest....

Then they shrunk the upper transfers and tunnels and gave it more blowdown. Consiquently, the exhaust port got smaller when that happened. Finally they ditched the D-shape chamber, gave it even more blowdown, and a pencil sized exhaust port opening.

Freakin EPA....:jerkoff:

Been wondering about the differences for a while now. Good info. :yup:

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Reaction score
Been wondering about the differences for a while now. Good info. :yup:

Stash away an early cylinder if you find one, for a "special project." I'm saving a very early cylinder for a hybrid saw Randy will be doing
up for me later. Same goes with early 066 jugs. The earliest ones made top power as stock saws. If only they made quad-port saws
back then...

You know, Jeremy should be a consultant to Bailey's on the new A/M jugs they're formulating for the 440/460s (retro-fit quad port jugs.)
He ain't much to look at but he sure he knows those Stihls...

naked arborist

Reaction score
Well, that all sounds good but, I must disagree with one thing. I don't give a damn if they come with C's, D's, B's or double F's. Jugs are jugs :) I do prefer a tight pocket and much more of a full size chassis man myself! Visible camel toe is the most important front chassis option available. Saw on you lunatics ;)

:hitit:

Latest posts