88 Ford Dual Battery Issue

cat-face timber

Recycled Tampon. Just wring 'em out.
Jun 25, 2014
Northern Arizona
So I have a 88 Ford with Dual Batteries.
I think both batteries are failing at the same time, or the cable that Daisy Chains then together is going bad.

My Question is, do you make your own cables or do you buy one?

I priced it out to about $120 shipped.

If you make your own, where do you get the terminals? The battery cable on the passenger side has the strange terminal.

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Staff member
Oct 22, 2012
Fredericksburg, Va
So I have a 88 Ford with Dual Batteries.
I think both batteries are failing at the same time, or the cable that Daisy Chains then together is going bad.

My Question is, do you make your own cables or do you buy one?

I priced it out to about $120 shipped.

If you make your own, where do you get the terminals? The battery cable on the passenger side has the strange terminal.
Strange terminal?

https://www.waytekwire.com/products?clear=true

Reactions: 1 person

bigbadbob

Ewe turn me on
Dec 9, 2015
Up Norf
Last cable I needed I went to a large battery place and they made them right there and it was very reasonable.
good luck
BBB

Reactions: 3 people

Jimmy in NC

Mill Monkey
Aug 27, 2013
Where tobacco is a vegtable
Last one on a Ford we did... '86 F250 with dual batteries we had the cables built at Batteries Plus in town. I don't know if one is local but they made some top notch cable just like the original, but with better wire while we waited. Truck turned over better than the owner had ever known.

I think this is the terminal that you would use to build it.. or something very close. If you don't have a crimper, I'd have them built local.

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/36326/4-0-GA-Crimpable-Battery-Lug/

Reactions: 2 people

nitehawk55

Jan 28, 2014
SW Ontario
Take the batteries out and test them to see if the cells are OK .
The cables are a simple parallel circuit and pretty simple to fabricate with some help from a knowledgeable fellow at a parts counter .
I'd gladly come down and do it but just a bit too far away :D

Reactions: 2 people

cat-face timber

Jun 25, 2014
Northern Arizona
Take the batteries out and test them to see if the cells are OK .
The cables are a simple parallel circuit and pretty simple to fabricate with some help from a knowledgeable fellow at a parts counter .
I'd gladly come down and do it but just a bit too far away :D

SW Ontario and N Arizona..

yes quite far.. thanks for your help!

srcarr52

Feb 11, 2013
IOWA
Last one on a Ford we did... '86 F250 with dual batteries we had the cables built at Batteries Plus in town. I don't know if one is local but they made some top notch cable just like the original, but with better wire while we waited. Truck turned over better than the owner had ever known.

I think this is the terminal that you would use to build it.. or something very close. If you don't have a crimper, I'd have them built local.

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/36326/4-0-GA-Crimpable-Battery-Lug/

I always solder those anyway. Put them in a vise, heat with torch, melt solder inside them like a crucible, then stick the stripped wire into them.

For extra professional results, only strip 3/4 of the cable you intend to put in so the cover melts into the edge of the terminal. Also use 3M or any adhesive lined heat shrink around the connection.

Reactions: 6 people

Fifelaker

I can almost see Genius' mushroom cloud from here.
Jul 31, 2013
Fife lake,Mi
If you use acid, neutralize it with baking soda and water. Make a paste, brush it on and wash it off with water. http://www.oatey.com/products/copper-installation/flux/no-95-tinning-flux I use this for everything any more. It is made for plumbing but it works on everything I have tried it on. I did a test on 1/2" copper pipe years ago, I cleaned the pipe and brushed it on the pipe and fitting, then heated them up. I opened the valve and it held water. I did bleed it down and add solder, but it held without the additional solder. It also works with 50/50 and other alloys.

Jimmy in NC

Mill Monkey
Aug 27, 2013
Where tobacco is a vegtable
I always solder those anyway. Put them in a vise, heat with torch, melt solder inside them like a crucible, then stick the stripped wire into them.

For extra professional results, only strip 3/4 of the cable you intend to put in so the cover melts into the edge of the terminal. Also use 3M or any adhesive lined heat shrink around the connection.
Do that regularly on equipment. Holds better on vibratory rollers than crimped ends. Since they are crimp on ends...for ease of posting I just went with it.

cat-face timber

Jun 25, 2014
Northern Arizona
Thanks for your help Bud and Jimmy!

Question for you..

What Gauge would you use for the main crossover cable? That goes from Positive to Positive?

olyman

Jan 7, 2014

Crimpablet Battery Lug 4/0 Positive Right Angle
that's commonly called a flag terminal. I know the thread is old...

Reactions: cat-face timber