A Good Day at The Shop

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
Today my order for the local county parks department came in, the only reason I'm posting this is
it's my largest single Stihl sale. I get to delivery all of this tomorrow 11,000$ worth of stuff makes it
pretty decent day.

To make this chainsaw related there's 4-MS261's a MS201T, and a MS460 sitting there.

Reactions: 4 people

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
That is awesome. My single largest sale doesn't really come close to that. Don't you just love municipalities and state agencies? :yup:

Yeah at best they usually buy a grand or two worth of stuff, but this was the big purchase for the counties parks
department. The best part is the guys usually like the equipment so much they come in and buy saws and trimmers
for themselves.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I've done pretty well in the past two years getting ahold of a few good accounts. A local amusement park that runs bumper boats, go-karts, and antique cars has been very dependable for parts orders in ridiculous quantities. This winter they bought two big snoblowers as well, and last year a couple mowers and trimmers too. The Maine D.O.T. as well as 4-5 surrounding towns have started coming in for most of their parts and supplies, along with some repairs as they don't all have a staffed mechanic for the small engine stuff. Fire departments are coming in. One big thing that Husky lacks is a line of rescue stuff. Not that the equipment gets used a lot around here, but I think the fire department directly across the street wouldn't mind it if we had some equipment for them if they needed it. Even Central Maine Power is starting to come in for stuff.

But I tell ya I'd love to see the day that much stuff went out my door! :smoking:

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
I've done pretty well in the past two years getting ahold of a few good accounts. A local amusement park that runs bumper boats, go-karts, and antique cars has been very dependable for parts orders in ridiculous quantities. This winter they bought two big snoblowers as well, and last year a couple mowers and trimmers too. The Maine D.O.T. as well as 4-5 surrounding towns have started coming in for most of their parts and supplies, along with some repairs as they don't all have a staffed mechanic for the small engine stuff. Fire departments are coming in. One big thing that Husky lacks is a line of rescue stuff. Not that the equipment gets used a lot around here, but I think the fire department directly across the street wouldn't mind it if we had some equipment for them if they needed it. Even Central Maine Power is starting to come in for stuff.

But I tell ya I'd love to see the day that much stuff went out my door! :smoking:

The thing that stinks about some these guys is the paperwork involved.
The state DOT requires 3 competitive bids for everything, and had one DOT garage that would call for written bids
on 4 chains, or 2 six packs of oil after a couple times of that I told them no thanks. But most of them are good to deal
with the local DOT garage will put in one big order in the spring this year it was small only 1200$, and a smaller re-order
in Sept-Oct for oil, and consumable items.

Local towns are pretty good and only need bids on items 150$ or more, so I sell quite a bit of chain and trimmer line to
those guys. And Stihl does 10% bid assistance on all whole goods and accessories, so I can make out pretty well.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
That a good deal. Fortunately I don't deal with anyone that required bids for stuff. The DOT is nice because they have a MINIMUM of $50 each time so the guys usually come in needing a chain or a couple files and end up piling it on the counter to meet the minimum. Hey I wasnt going to ask any questions about that one lol. What gets to be a pain is repairs as they have to pay labor charges via check, while they pay parts on a credit card. I did that a few times before telling them I'd just send a bill and they could pay it all on one check.

I accidentally ordered a 12# spool of trimmer line for the town. I added it to an order and meant to call the guy and see if he wanted it due to the quantity he always buys every year. He wanted to stick with a bunch of small spools and I forgot to take it off my order. Now i got a 4 mile long spool of string that will probably dry up and go to waste.... Lol sometimes I get ahead of myself.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
That a good deal. Fortunately I don't deal with anyone that required bids for stuff. The DOT is nice because they have a MINIMUM of $50 each time so the guys usually come in needing a chain or a couple files and end up piling it on the counter to meet the minimum. Hey I wasnt going to ask any questions about that one lol. What gets to be a pain is repairs as they have to pay labor charges via check, while they pay parts on a credit card. I did that a few times before telling them I'd just send a bill and they could pay it all on one check.

I accidentally ordered a 12# spool of trimmer line for the town. I added it to an order and meant to call the guy and see if he wanted it due to the quantity he always buys every year. He wanted to stick with a bunch of small spools and I forgot to take it off my order. Now i got a 4 mile long spool of string that will probably dry up and go to waste.... Lol sometimes I get ahead of myself.

Yeah trying to do repairs by bid is incredibly annoying. They'll bring their saws in and each one is required to have an estimate submitted before I can do any work. And I'm required to keep the actual bill to within a couple dollars of that written estimate. So I make the estimate includes new carbs, complete fuel system, and at least an extra 15-30 minutes labor so i don't get caught with my pants down when it comes to do the actual repair.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Oh man, they'd have to have a lot of repair work and quick to pay for me to deal with that. Are they at least quick to review the bid and give you the yay or nay?

In Maine there's a law that says if you give an estimate you have to be within 10% of the given price or you can be taken to court for it.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
I was told yesterday when we delivered the equipment that a decent amount of their stuff gets stolen or "disappears"
so that's why every year they have to replace so much stuff.
I was under the impression this was an order for the parks department for the whole county, but it was just for one
parks maintenance crew.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I was told yesterday when we delivered the equipment that a decent amount of their stuff gets stolen or "disappears"
so that's why every year they have to replace so much stuff.
I was under the impression this was an order for the parks department for the whole county, but it was just for one
parks maintenance crew.

I would imagine some employees have some nice looking garages by now..... :banghead:

Wow all that for one park crew? The local maintenance crew had a hard enough time getting permission to spend $400 to replace a toasted saw..... I know money gets stretched pretty far, and in reviewing the community services budget it looks like they get about $2mil/yr. The community services crew is strictly devoted to mowing public grounds, maintaining ballfields, and general town landscaping. They also maintain beaches and public parking areas.