A taste of Remington

exSW

thinking of old guys’ balls
Oct 8, 2013
Out there
I got the carb out fairly easily after popping the top and sacrificing the fuel line. Found no combination of slim,skinny,loprofile or offset 7/16" would fit so I put a screwdriver blade against the lobe of the nuts,give it a little tap and they spun right off.

rocketnorton

Raisin Hater
Sep 29, 2013
surrey bc can
I got the carb out fairly easily after popping the top and sacrificing the fuel line. Found no combination of slim,skinny,loprofile or offset 7/16" would fit so I put a screwdriver blade against the lobe of the nuts,give it a little tap and they spun right off.
just grind down a cheapo 7/16. some pioneers use m too.

carb was on n off my 770 a few times. carter.

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Jan 13, 2012
Uranus...
Your starter is different than mine. Mine is a traditional FM starter. If you need to replace the carb to tank fitting fuel line it was easiest to remove the oil tank to get at the fitting. Cover off and there are four (I think) bolts to pull the back half of the oil tank. I see your has the crank extension on the clutch side, which some do not have, to put a nut on the extension to keep the clutch from spinning off. I think it's a fine thread 7/16" nut.
I think that PTO side extension was also used on the gear drive versions of saws on that chassis. The gearcase on those is a planetary type, contained within the clutch cover. Like what was used on the C-Series Homelites. C-5G, etc.

just grind down a cheapo 7/16. some pioneers use m too.

carb was on n off my 770 a few times. carter.
Yep. Old Macs too. I have a 7/17" combo wrench that I ground both' ends to about 1/8" thickness for Mac carb nuts. Also ground a clearance notch in the handle to allow more wrench swing on the Macs. The handle hits the side of the carb box otherwise.

Everything about this thing is cool. Getting into the carb. No pics, in the USC. Man it's neat. And big. Even with the Cubs Walbro next to it it's not small.
Tillotson HL. Best saw carb ever. Bigger versions were/are used in karts, snowmobiles, and ultralight engines. Make sure you get the diaphragms/gaskets assembly order right. They's different than your 'normal' cube type carb. It's a big sammich. With the carb body upside-down on your bench:

-Pump cover

-Pump gasket

-Pump diaphragm

-Pump body/metering cover

-Metering diaphragm

-Metering gasket

-Carb body.

I've seen the pump diaphragm and gasket installed in the wrong order (and have done it myself). Saw will run..........but sickly. Make sure the pump diaphragm is against the pump body/metering cover.