Quantcast
  • If you are having problems logging in please use the CONTACT US in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Abracadabra, 576!!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
As some of you already know, my head doesn't exactly work like a normal head is supposed to. Last spring I sold a buddy a 570. He loves it. Last winter, possibly in the fall, I had someone come in with a smoked 576. We swapped the P/C out and off he went on his merry way. Since then, the 576 jug has been on my counter serving out the rest of its existence as a pen cup. :derplol:

Soooooo, over the weekend (yes this last one) it finally dawned on me that I should just clean this jug up, order a piston, and go to town with a little upgrade for said friend.

This is what I've started with, been a PITA so far. Just getting the crap cleaned out of the lower half of the jug has been very time consuming, not sure how I'll be able to keep my patience for the upper half.

I'll try and snag a progress pic of what I've got done so far. It looks a lot better but it feels like it's never ending. Acid fumes are narsty.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
You know, a garbage can would clean that up real nice......

Haven't found a piston that would fit the garbage can yet. Pretty sure I could find somebody to weld up a flange to meet the crankcase, but the piston is definitely what would hold me back.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
lol....

I'd just buy a new top end if it were me but that's cuz I'm about as motivated as a sloth....

That's a $200+ difference ;) With the money he saves on a jug, if this one's in good shape he can send it out for some "work"...... :evilgrin:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Well this may not be good, took a closer look at the cylinder this morning now that I've managed to get a bunch of the transfer out and it looks like there may be some scratches just below the exhaust port :sad: I need a magnifying glass though, can't see that good.

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Reaction score
Tk use a little heat and muriatic acid and it will get the transfer off easier. If the scratches aren't deep and not above the exhaust port then it should be ok to run.

mweba

Reaction score
Tk use a little heat and muriatic acid and it will get the transfer off easier. If the scratches aren't deep and not above the exhaust port then it should be ok to run.

I agree. I have a couple paper weights myself.....if that one turns out to be to far gone.

HEAVYFUEL

Reaction score

A friend of mine was redoing an 026 that was fried. Read on a.s. to use muriatic acid so he threw the whole cylinder in a jug of it. He said within 45 seconds you couldn't even see in the garage, he grabbed the cylinder with a channel lock and ran out the door with it and his wife was running out of the house thinking the garage was on fire. I guess it even ate away the spark plug threads. Then he went back in the house and read down a little further about just using a qtip.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I've been swabbing it with a q-tip to get most of it removed, there's still some stubborn stuff in there though that the acid doesn't seem to be touching. I'm going to hit it with some fine emery cloth to maybe open up the surface of the aluminum so the acid can get to it. I bought a magnifying glass at the hardware store across the parking lot (love having it right there, so handy) and I can't really see any grooves so I think we're good to go. Getting a good look at the upper part it looks like mostly scuffing up there, very minimal transfer thankfully!

I plopped the cylinder in the ultra-sonic cleaner for 30 minutes at 120 degrees to get it good and warm, gonna hit it with some more acid and hopefully it's go time!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
A friend of mine was redoing an 026 that was fried. Read on a.s. to use muriatic acid so he threw the whole cylinder in a jug of it. He said within 45 seconds you couldn't even see in the garage, he grabbed the cylinder with a channel lock and ran out the door with it and his wife was running out of the house thinking the garage was on fire. I guess it even ate away the spark plug threads. Then he went back in the house and read down a little further about just using a qtip.

And the fumes are toxic! Hope he aired it out well and took it easy himself...... I would imagine he'd have a pretty good headache just after that!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Alright, where I'm at before the next go round

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Alright, new concern now - took a peek at the intake side of things and now I'm seeing this......

To the right of the intake, below the strato.... That never gets exposed right? The piston should stay above that point where the plating appears to be missing?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Ok I'm losing my mind here :lol: Sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't, but I swear I can see a couple of small grooves in the upper half of the cylinder. It really doesn't look like the plating it cut or separated, but rather indented kind of? Feel like this is a lost cause.....

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Reaction score
I would try acid on it warm. I use sandpaper and a little elbow grease for finishing the cleanup.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I would try acid on it warm. I use sandpaper and a little elbow grease for finishing the cleanup.

The heat seems to be working well this time around. The previous session of working it it didn't seem to make a difference. I left it in the tank a little longer this time to maybe get the cylinder to heat all the way through. I think the previous time it was only in there for 15 minutes or so, didn't have enough time to heat thoroughly. Happy to say I'm almost done!

And he should be dropping the saw off tonight, so tomorrow I'll get the cylinder thrown on there and see what happens :D

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Cylinder is back taking a bath getting warmed up again. Hopefully this will be the last time. We shall certainly find out one way or the other whether this will cure it. I have no doubt it will fire up and run and probably run alright - but before we consider any port work there will be at least a dozen tanks of fuel run through it. Not sure what we're gonna do with a cord of cookies but we'll figure it out :D

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I know there are still alot of scuff marks in there, not sure if there's anything I can do about that.....
Does anything show in there that would prevent you from using this cylinder? I can't feel or see anything sticking up on the cylinder wall. I pushed a ring down in there with the piston and it seems to go nicely. It didn't turn out as pretty as I had hoped. See anything I might be missing?