Actual chainsaw question

Chity_Avatar

Mows his grass in 8 minutes.
Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
As of last week the Mac Super Pro 80 was back up and running.....until today. It was a spark issue that I thought I had cured. This saw had no spark when I got it but it was caused by the woodruff key being sheared off and the plug wire was pinched and cut through the side cover. Once I put a new key in it an replaced the plug wire it fired right up and ran. I finally got a bar and chain for it and it still ran. A couple of days later it would just "pop" whe you pulled it over. Pull the plug and it has very little spark. Couple days later it fires up on the second pull and I hadn't done anything to it. It does this starting and not starting thing several times. I replaced the condenser last week due to no spark, as the coil tested good, and it had bright blue/white spark once again. Runs and cuts great.....Today it has no spark again. Points are new and gapped to .018", plug is new, plug wire is new, condenser is one I took from another saw and obviously worked, condenser is properly held down and grounded to the case. I can disconnect the kill switch from the coil when it has no spark and still nothing. Coil is gapped .010" from the magnets on the flywheel. Magnets are strong. Can a coil work and then not work and then work again? I have had them weak or bad but never not work and then work again. The coil is my last thing to replace.

Mastermind

unwilling to issue dredge permits
Jan 12, 2012
Under the thumb of Thomas1
Point type ignitions are quirky, but normally solid. One thing to check for is a bit of trash between the points, clean them with a piece of paper after sanding. As to your question on coil.......look for cracks in the plastic. If you find any rub them full of clear 100% silicone.

Chity_Avatar

Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
Point type ignitions are quirky, but normally solid. One thing to check for is a bit of trash between the points, clean them with a piece of paper after sanding. As to your question on coil.......look for cracks in the plastic. If you find any rub them full of clear 100% silicone.
Would that suggest the voltage is leaving the coil before it can go through the plug wire?

Chity_Avatar

Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
If it has cracks in it it could be arcing....
Found small cracks and fixed. Also found a wear mark in the wire from the coil to the points. Removed the flywheel to remove wire and found the woodruff key 95% sheared off again. Would the key being so far off cause enough of a change in spark timing to miss the spark all together? I need to find a way to clean the tapered part of the crank and the taper part of the flywheel to get them to fit better and tighten up better. Looks like a little bit of material transfer between the two. I will post pics when I get back in the house.

Mastermind

unwilling to issue dredge permits
Jan 12, 2012
Under the thumb of Thomas1
Found small cracks and fixed. Also found a wear mark in the wire from the coil to the points. Removed the flywheel to remove wire and found the woodruff key 95% sheared off again. Would the key being so far off cause enough of a change in spark timing to miss the spark all together? I need to find a way to clean the tapered part of the crank and the taper part of the flywheel to get them to fit better and tighten up better. Looks like a little bit of material transfer between the two. I will post pics when I get back in the house.
Clean the taper as well as possible, then use valve lapping compound the make is a sweet fit......

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I'm not sure with the points system but that could be the problem. If the flywheel is activating the points at the wrong time then the spark could be mostly wasted. Electronic ignition would just fire at the wrong time, full power.

Reactions: 1 person

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Staff member
Oct 22, 2012
Fredericksburg, Va
You definitely need to clean up that crank and flywheel. Scrub that gunk out of there and then have at it with some lapping compound, like Moobs said. I'm surprised your key made it as long as it did.

Reactions: 4 people

Chity_Avatar

Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
You definitely need to clean up that crank and flywheel. Scrub that gunk out of there and then have at it with some lapping compound, like Moobs said. I'm surprised your key made it as long as it did.
This thread is just full of firsts. This is the first informative and help full post I have ever seen you make. Maybe I have just been looking in the wrong places all this time. Keep up the good work poopin bear.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
This thread is just full of firsts. This is the first informative and help full post I have ever seen you make. Maybe I have just been looking in the wrong places all this time. Keep up the good work poopin bear.
All he did was copy the monkeys post but used different words.... You're too easily impressed.

Well, that explains why you hang out with that other "special needs" fella so much..... :banana:

Reactions: 1 person

Chity_Avatar

Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
All he did was copy the monkeys post but used different words.... You're too easily impressed.

Well, that explains why you hang out with that other "special needs" fella so much..... :banana:
Your missing the point. There was no sarcastic under tone, no changing of the topic, and no mention of my chity avatar. If I were easily impressed you would have won that prize a wile ago.:gfy:

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Staff member
Oct 22, 2012
Fredericksburg, Va

No, I commented after seeing a photo of how much crap was on the taper mating surfaces. There's no way he is going to get a good fit with all that crap on there. He's lucky he hasn't buggered up either of the keyways, next time he might not be so lucky.

You're just mad because I posted an epic photo tutorial of how to turn subscriptions off. Don't be hatin', it took many minutes of practice to hone my photo editing skills.

:farkyou:

Reactions: 5 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I'm not mad, quite envious actually. And thank you, as it saved me time from going in and doing it.

You should post a tutorial on how to change those settings for future thread subscriptions so he doesn't have to do it again..... Thanks and :hand:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thomas1 An Actual Chainsaw Question.... Chainsawz 131
B Wanted McCulloch Super 797 Chainsaw Wanted 20
sarahdodgegeek 6th Annual Chainsaw Races At Chisago County Fairgrounds In Rush City, Mn 7/21/18 GTG'z & Eventz 10
czed Chainsaw Repair Tips Chainsawz 48
trx250r180 What Chainsaw Oil Is The Best ? Mix And Bar Oil Chainsawz 148
dboyd351 120v Battery Powered Chainsaw Chainsawz 25
andydodgegeek July 22!!! 5th Annual Chisago County Fair Chainsaw Races GTG'z & Eventz 63
J Pop Science Chainsaw tear down Chainsawz 23
stihl sawing What makes a chainsaw gay? Chainsawz 289
neil Free Anouncement. I got banned for a day on Chainsaw Repair. Chainsawz 29
dboyd351 Mystery Cub Cadet 55 cc??? chainsaw from Tractor Supply Chainsawz 14
RandyMac The McCulloch Chainsaw Thread, continued. Chainsawz 703
jacob j. The new WTF and gender neutral chainsaw GFY thread The Razorback Lounge 42054
fossil Sabre chainsaw bars Chainsawz 36
Homelite410 Custom chainsaw bar Chainsawz 5
pastryguyhawaii Chainsaw tool ID help Chainsawz 11
thomas1 Finest Stihl chainsaw ever made. For Sale 86
Mastermind Skil 1616 Chainsaw Chainsawz 24
N If you like to ice skate but want some excitement...use your chainsaw !! Hawgz Back 40 11
N What is considered by most to be the holy grail(s) of each major chainsaw maker ? Chainsawz 64
tree monkey chainsaw? Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 21
J Chainsaw locking up help! Chainsawz 25
Warped5 Chainsaw 'chop shop' .... Chainsawz 51
P Deal On Husqvarna Chaps and Chainsaw Protective Boots Chainsawz 7
BloodOnTheIce $750 Chainsaw Bar Chainsawz 29
Black Dog Chainsaw chainsaw wiring... Help with parts! Chainsawz 5
countryhog happy Chanukah/merry Christmas/chainsaw Chainsawz 2
Freehand The Chainsaw Bench Redux Chainsawz 18
stihl sawing Gun or Chainsaw Hawgz Back 40 117
N possibly chainsaw related For Sale 0
Z7extreme Chainsaw dyno upgrade. Need your help.Anybody have any experience with these? Chainsawz 6
M Bar for 4-30 McCulloch chainsaw, 42" length Wanted 0
Poncho Pics/video of Caledonia chainsaw races 8/17/2014 Chainsawz 2
TK Chainsaw Raffle! Help a good man in need! Chainsawz 26
andydodgegeek CHAINSAW RACE'S Rush City, MN this Saturday!!!! GTG'z & Eventz 6
P Hackensack Chainsaw Event - MN GTG'z & Eventz 0
hseII New Chainsaw attachment Coming Soon to Dealers Near Tou Hawgz Back 40 8
dieselfitter You will never will an argument with some holding a chainsaw Chainsawz 7
M Wanted McCulloch 4-30 Chainsaw Wanted 26
trx250r180 McCulloch chainsaw For Sale 19
Smittybilt Did Honda ever make a Chainsaw??? Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 32
Wigglesworth Other chainsaw forums.... Chainsawz 10
J Chainsaw in the neck !!ouch Chainsawz 12
H ENTER TO WIN MS250 CHAINSAW! For Sale 6
leeha Lombard chainsaw Chainsawz 53
W New Old Stock Chainsaw Distributor Vintage Chainsawz 1
naked arborist chainsaw video listing sections? Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 14
Mr Bow Saw Vintage Chainsaw Thread Chainsawz 24
rocketnorton chainsaw carpentry Chainsawz 5
BloodOnTheIce Box O' Husky 350 Chainsaw For Sale 5