Aftermarket P&C's - No BS

PB

Nov 5, 2012
There are numerous opinions about the aftermarket cylinders out there. I need to fix up a 2145 (husky 345) and will probably go the aftermarket route. What are the best aftermarket cylinders, or the ones that I should avoid. Honest answers, no BS.

No way in hell am I asking this on AS.

Reactions: 2 people

PB

Nov 5, 2012
I dont have a problem with after market. But i usually try to buy used oem first. If you dont like that route, I have never tried this brand but this is what I would do. Buy the AM closed port BB kit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/380467221930?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 And then tell us how it runs.:bananashuffle:
I would normally go used too, but with this series of saw the failure is usually in the bearings. Once those go the whole top end is toast. I would need to find a running saw that was taken apart, and then I would still replace the bearing/seal units. That is a nice kit, but there are cheaper alternatives, if they are any good.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
Between Pistons and P&C kits I've used and sold a ton of them

And none will knock your socks off with the quality, yes there are varying qualities
but none are spectacular.

My first choice for either customer or myself is in descending order
Meteor Piston and OEM used cylinder
Meteor P&C
NWP P&C

Most aftermarket pistons outside of Meteor & NWP will need some cleaning up the casting

I've run into a few Forester brand P&C kits that ran but just lacked power.
I put a Forester Nikasil P&C kit on a customers 066 and had to gut the muffler and port
the cylinder to get stock power out of it.

Reactions: 1 person

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Staff member
Oct 22, 2012
Fredericksburg, Va
There are numerous opinions about the aftermarket cylinders out there. I need to fix up a 2145 (husky 345) and will probably go the aftermarket route. What are the best aftermarket cylinders, or the ones that I should avoid. Honest answers, no BS.

No way in hell am I asking this on AS.
Chicken. :D

Reactions: 3 people

man of stihl

Jan 11, 2012
Between Pistons and P&C kits I've used and sold a ton of them

And none will knock your socks off with the quality, yes there are varying qualities
but none are spectacular.

My first choice for either customer or myself is in descending order
Meteor Piston and OEM used cylinder
Meteor P&C
NWP P&C

Most aftermarket pistons outside of Meteor & NWP will need some cleaning up the casting

I've run into a few Forester brand P&C kits that ran but just lacked power.
I put a Forester Nikasil P&C kit on a customers 066 and had to gut the muffler and port
the cylinder to get stock power out of it.
I agree Cale. But before i posted i checked Baileys and Northwood and didn't see Meteor or NWP kits for the 345.

Reactions: 1 person

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Thanks everyone. Mitch is hooking me up. :)

Does anyone know anything about the Laser p&c's? They used to sell Tecomec but now I think they are China or Taiwan products. I see they have quite a few models listed.

Speaking of Tecomec parts, did they send their parts manufacturing to China? I was looking up info on their Jolly Star grinder and noticed they had a nice map pin over China.

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
I think I have an extra 2153 jug if any of you boys want it. I can come up with the engine pan/block piece for converting the 2145/2150 too. You're on your own for a piston.

Reactions: 3 people

PB

Nov 5, 2012
I think I have an extra 2153 jug if any of you boys want it. I can come up with the engine pan/block piece for converting the 2145/2150 too. You're on your own for a piston.
That's a sweet offer JJ. I have everything I need coming from Mitch so if someone else needs this, it is all theirs.

If no one wants it on the other hand.....I can find a use for it. ;)