All things splitting

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
How are you guys splitting your wood? Hydraulic? Maul? Axe? Chainsaw? Dynamite?

I've split with a maul, wedge, axe, hydraulic splitter - and while they all work in their own way, none of them has made it feel any less than just plain work. Cutting with a saw is just enjoyable to me, but splitting has always been a chore no matter what. I tried out a buddy's Fiskars X27 yesterday, and I was pretty amazed. Granted I was only going through red oak with it, but with far less than a half effort swing, 14-16" rounds cut 16-18" long were just blowing apart. Single handed whacks would finish the rest of the splitting with ease, and far faster than any hydraulic splitter I've used. I was impressed to say the least.

Now for other types of wood this may be a whole different story. Stuff with some curly grain, knots, etc. may give it a hard time, but most of what I'd be cutting for firewood would be similar to this oak and maybe some seemingly branchless maple. I could see dropping $50 on one of these rather than spending the coin on a decent splitter.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
I have a Stihl PA80 splitting maul.

It kicks some serious ass and it's only 6 1/2 pounds. Had it for a couple years now and it's by far the best maul I've ever used. I've split well over 40 facecords with it too. I just may end up buying another one sometime soon. Having one just doesn't seem like enough, lol...

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
I haven't looked into the Fiskars lineup too deeply - is the Super Splitter a different animal than the X series splitting axes?

Nope - same thing. The original was 28" (X 25) and there was a big request that it be made with a longer handle. The 36" (X 27) was eventually made.

Lotta guys swear by their soopa splittas but I don't think I've ever used one. If I have it was prolly at a GTG and have just forgotten about it.

My neighbor (the westspartan) has the X 27 and he says he loves the frikkin' thing....

MacLaren

Jan 9, 2012
I have a Stihl PA80 splitting maul.

It kicks some serious ass and it's only 6 1/2 pounds. Had it for a couple years now and it's by far the best maul I've ever used. I've split well over 40 facecords with it too. I just may end up buying another one sometime soon. Having one just doesn't seem like enough, lol...
Cool man. Ive always wandered about those. May have to get me one.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Nope - same thing. The original was 28" (X 25) and there was a big request that it be made with a longer handle. The 36" (X 27) was eventually made.

Lotta guys swear by their soopa splittas but I don't think I've ever used one. If I have it was prolly at a GTG and have just forgotten about it.

My neighbor (the westspartan) has the X 27 and he says he loves the frikkin' thing....
I can see the need for a longer handle. I made a mistake in my first post, it was an X25 that I used, not the X27. This next part is a little embarassing, along with a little scary lol, but the first swing I took with the darn thing I missed, the axe went through my legs (good thing I was standing square to and not one foot in front of the other) and slipped out of my hands and went about 15 feet behind me. Good thing again that I was wearing gloves and that handle was a little slippery, as if I had a better grip there's a good chance it would have come around and laid right into my back! :eek: I also swung the thing too dang hard as well. The next swing was fair swing and I went right down into the splitting block - wouldn't surprise me if a good hard swing went through two pieces in a row.

You should give it a try, it's quite impressive.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
I use the trusty family 20 ton MTD horizontal/vertical splitter with
a 5hp Briggs motor for most everything.

I have two Fiskars tools, one of the 14" hatchets and 28" splitting axes.

I like the short handle on the maul for splitting wood in the basement.
It's short enough I split stuff down into kindling, and not hit the lights
or ceiling.

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
I use a good ole Maul if I dont have much and its good busting. A lot of times Ill noodle it down to size with the 395xp and a 24'' 8 pin. My good friend and neighbor has a Northern tool splitter I use sometimes....sometimes we bust wood together and split the pile, works out good for the both of use. I have a splitter attachment I built for our excavator, Ill use it if its not out on the job and I have a lot of wood to bust.....Its only home a couple weeks out of the year, so I don't get to use it much. Its to much hassle and $$$ to haul it home just to split some wood too, but it does work well.

Most of you have probably seen it, but if ya haven't, here ya go

[video=youtube;-pZvmpNTe-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-pZvmpNTe-c[/video]

Reactions: 3 people

Spike60

Jan 12, 2012
I use the trusty family 20 ton MTD horizontal/vertical splitter with
a 5hp Briggs motor for most everything.

I have two Fiskars tools, one of the 14" hatchets and 28" splitting axes.

I like the short handle on the maul for splitting wood in the basement.
It's short enough I split stuff down into kindling, and not hit the lights
or ceiling.
I have the same 20 ton MTD and it works fine. It has a little faster cycle time than the current 27 ton Troy-bilts and Cub Cadets. Got it about 10 years ago for $500. Customer was moving and it was hardly used. Great deal, and it's split plenty of wood the last 10 years. For personal use, I think any of these basic splitters are all a guy really needs. Yeah, a nice American like Jimmy's puts out way more wood and is a blast to run, but for me my MTD is just right. Plus it's small enough to bull around by hand. It does 80% of my splitting.

The other 20% I do by hand with a 6 pound maul. I like to go out in the morning and bust up a few rounds for excersize. I only do the easy straight grained stuff. Knots and hickory all go on the MTD. I also half or quarter the big blocks before I bring them home. They're just as hard to lift into the truck as onto the splitter. :yup: I rarely use the splitter in horizontal mode anymore.

I've been hearing so much about this Fiskers stuff, so today I ordered a bunch of them for the store. Also, ordered a couple of the Husky tools. It's old tech stuff, Swedish steel on an American hickory handle. But they have a real good quality design to them. You know how it is when you pick up a tool and it feels "just right".

Reactions: 1 person

weimedog

Jan 10, 2012
I've been hearing so much about this Fiskers stuff, so today I ordered a bunch of them for the store. Also, ordered a couple of the Husky tools. It's old tech stuff, Swedish steel on an American hickory handle. But they have a real good quality design to them. You know how it is when you pick up a tool and it feels "just right".

Ended up with the Husqvarna Splitting maul. Was hunting and had looked at the plastic alternatives...saw the Husqvarna stuff on a clearance table! Hefted it..liked the way wood feels better than plastic..bought the wood one. And I'm very happy with that tool. In retro spect, I think I would have still gone with the Husqvarna regardless of price as compared to all the plastic alternatives.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Ended up with the Husqvarna Splitting maul. Was hunting and had looked at the plastic alternatives...saw the Husqvarna stuff on a clearance table! Hefted it..liked the way wood feels better than plastic..bought the wood one. And I'm very happy with that tool. In retro spect, I think I would have still gone with the Husqvarna regardless of price as compared to all the plastic alternatives.
How's she do splitting?

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
I like Fiskars because I'm clumsy and unskilled with a maul, with a wood handle
I'd be too busy replacing them to get any work done.
My weapons of choice.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I use a good ole Maul if I dont have much and its good busting. A lot of times Ill noodle it down to size with the 395xp and a 24'' 8 pin. My good friend and neighbor has a Northern tool splitter I use sometimes....sometimes we bust wood together and split the pile, works out good for the both of use. I have a splitter attachment I built for our excavator, Ill use it if its not out on the job and I have a lot of wood to bust.....Its only home a couple weeks out of the year, so I don't get to use it much. Its to much hassle and $$$ to haul it home just to split some wood too, but it does work well.

Most of you have probably seen it, but if ya haven't, here ya go

[video=youtube;-pZvmpNTe-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-pZvmpNTe-c[/video]
That there's a sweet setup :thumbsup:

I like Fiskars because I'm clumsy and unskilled with a maul, with a wood handle
I'd be too busy replacing them to get any work done.
My weapons of choice.

Ya I definitely have issues with wooden handles needing replacement VERY frequently. I tend to bust one a year just on camping trips alone :D

jrepairsk70e

any name [cept shithead]
Jan 10, 2012
Ulser County N.Y.
back in the 80s when i was more muscle than skill i broke a couple wooden handles on my 6 lb maul [ mostly when a round would pop open with a quarter split on the far side of the round and the handle would bottom out against the unsplit remaining part ] i installed a plastic wrapped fiberglass handle and learned how to read the round better to id the weakest place in the grain . prior to buying my hyd splitter i was using the trutempr maul with the wedge like wings on the head and a plastic handle ,i also bought a fiskars splitter x27 axe just to see what all the hype was about [it does work very well] have never broken a non wood handle jk

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
I built a splitter with a 4 way and auto cycle valve.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PQvgOg26uys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jrepairsk70e

any name [cept shithead]
Jan 10, 2012
Ulser County N.Y.
sweet unit gink , the auto cycle in forward would give my right hand too much time to get in the pinch , guess you just have to get used to it and be super vigilant jk

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Firewood harvesting season is upon us.....

I already have the Stihl PA80 axe - maybe it's time to pick up a slick Hooskvarna splitting maul to give the PA80 a companion..... :yup: