Ammo handloaders

deerjackie

Jul 10, 2012
WEST TN.
Any ammo handloaders in here? Any of ya ll got a good technique for determining oal on rifles with bottleneck cartridges and is .005 off the lands sufficient?

MacLaren

Jan 9, 2012
Mike (mdavlee) is hand loading Jackie.
He's in Knoxville right now, but will be back shortly. He might be able to help ya. What caliber are ya loading?

Reactions: 1 person

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
Any ammo handloaders in here? Any of ya ll got a good technique for determining oal on rifles with bottleneck cartridges and is .005 off the lands sufficient?
The closer you can get your projectile to the lands the better. Just no touchy...:ahah:
Is this a bolt gun you're loading for?
I set each round with a micrometer and a machined piece that sits on the shoulder of the bullet.

deerjackie

Jul 10, 2012
WEST TN.
Has anyone used a stoney point oal gauge with the dummy threaded rounds?I have tried the unsized case with lipstick method but that doesn t give a good reading.I have this idea of drilling the flash hole and inserting a rod with o rings and the bullet that i am loading at the time to check the guns oal then subtract .005 from the caliper reading and record that number and see how that works.I know a lot of folks who use the saami standard when handloading so they fit all guns but i like to tailor each load for each gun.

Last edited:

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
Has anyone used a stoney point oal gauge with the dummy threaded rounds?I have tried the unsized case with lipstick method but that doesn t give a good reading.I have this idea of drilling the flash hole and inserting a rod with o rings and the bullet that i am loading at the time to check the guns oal then subtract .005 from the caliper reading and record that number and see how that works.I know a lot of folks who use the saami standard when handloading so they fit all guns but i like to tailor each load for each gun.
Set a bullet in your case but only part way... Color bullet with sharpie... do not crimp, just load round into gun and slowly close action. Open action slowly and remove round. Measure for overall length and reduce by what you feel comfortable with. The lands force the bullet into the cartridge. So you know what measurement "touch" is... Go from there...:internetpartytime:

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
What bullet are you using? I know sierra recommends a little jump of .010" or so. Loading different depths is something I would do after I find a powder charge that does good.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
What bullet are you using? I know sierra recommends a little jump of .010" or so. Loading different depths is something I would do after I find a powder charge that does good.
With that case, I've always had good luck with IMR 4350 as a propellant... May be something better now, but I'm a little outdated...
I've exceeded the maximum suggested load by a few grains in the 270Win.

deerjackie

Jul 10, 2012
WEST TN.
With that case, I've always had good luck with IMR 4350 as a propellant... May be something better now, but I'm a little outdated...
I've exceeded the maximum suggested load by a few grains in the 270Win.
I am still using accurate 4350 from an 8 lb jug i paid 65 dollars for , that was cheap even back then, 99 i think.

Reactions: 1 person

mdavlee

Jan 10, 2012
A lb jug is going to make about 75 rounds for the 338 lapua I got. It shouldn't take long to find out if it likes retumbo or not. I'm going to try h1000 next. Brass is the killer for this round $2.50 a pop:eek:

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
I know a guy with a whole pile of brand new loading stuff, who can't get to it cause there are so many saws in the way....

:/
I suppose finely ported saws would be sufficient when the Zombie Apocalypse begins, although I would like a little room in between me and the undead. :chainsaw: Just sayin

We need a Zombie banana, Chuckr

Reactions: 3 people

deerjackie

Jul 10, 2012
WEST TN.
A lb jug is going to make about 75 rounds for the 338 lapua I got. It shouldn't take long to find out if it likes retumbo or not. I'm going to try h1000 next. Brass is the killer for this round $2.50 a pop:eek:
How are you liking the 6.5 creedmoor? I have heard nothing but good from that cal , just hard to get away from 25-06.Maybe i need a tc pro hunter in 6.5 cm and add more barrels.

Last edited:

mdavlee

Jan 10, 2012
I like the round just fine. I wish I had bought it in something besides the ruger. I like the savages a lot better overall. I'm going to sell it to fund the reloading and a first focal plane scope for the 338. I think I'll get another rifle in the 6-6.5mm class later on. The ballistics of them are flatter and less wind drift then the 308.

deerjackie

Jul 10, 2012
WEST TN.
I like the round just fine. I wish I had bought it in something besides the ruger. I like the savages a lot better overall. I'm going to sell it to fund the reloading and a first focal plane scope for the 338. I think I'll get another rifle in the 6-6.5mm class later on. The ballistics of them are flatter and less wind drift then the 308.
Rugers have hard triggers,other than that i love them, mine is a skeleton stock and has killed enough stuff to strain a locomotive.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
270 WSM.... Try it... You'll like it...

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
Rugers have hard triggers,other than that i love them, mine is a skeleton stock and has killed enough stuff to strain a locomotive.
Ruger arms are built strong, rugged, and I love em'... That being said... I own only savage rifles... Utility and accuracy are paramount with the savages... I love the accu triggers, but own them without, and don't care. I can overcome a lawyer proof trigger, but can't do anything with a squirrelly barrel... My 44 is a Ruger... Period...:wink: