Any Coyote Hunters/Trappers in the House?

Troy G

Jan 10, 2012
Shot my first couple of coyotes this morning. I normally try to do some calling in the fur season but life with a family has slowed things down quite a bit. The wife let me get out into the garage yesterday and get some bullets loaded and my gear ready to go. I shot one last night and two this morning. Normally I like to call them but a neighbor had lost a heifer due to an illness and I have been doing the sneak on the heifer, the coyotes are so fat they likely would not come to a call anyway. This morning there was a Bald Eagle, a Golden Eagle, several Magpies, and Ravens on the carcass as well as several coyotes in the area. Just like a Mutual of Omaha video.

Reactions: 2 people

Cut4fun

May 9, 2012
chainsawrepair.createaforum.com
Yote hunting is where it is at now days :bananajump:

Some from yotes from the past. Not seeing many around me now. :evilgrin::sadshake:

Reactions: 3 people

Cut4fun

May 9, 2012
One I had to track and finish off in a hollow log with a 22 trapper pistol. Got very interesting when it was coming out of the log at me. :happywink: :goofball:

Then I had to cut up the log to get the sucker. :D:notripe:

Reactions: 4 people

Troy G

Jan 10, 2012
Eric and Cut4Fun,

Nice coyotes, Do you guys keep the fur or just get rid of them. That country looks like shotgun and close encounter country for calling. Eric I love the pictures of the woods, would be nice to have country like that around here.

ECopsey

Oct 22, 2012
Eric ,

Nice coyotes, Do you guys keep the fur or just get rid of them. That country looks like shotgun and close encounter country for calling. Eric I love the pictures of the woods, would be nice to have country like that around here.

When we hunt with the dogs the handlers carry 12ga shotguns with 00 ... standers use high power rifles... Most of the kills are by the standers every once in a while you have one turn and try to slip by for a close shot... I'll try and take some pics this year.. I dont normally take many.:bananacorn:
buddie just told me a dry scraped hide could bring $250 this year if its not shot up

Reactions: 1 person

Cut4fun

May 9, 2012
Cut4Fun,

Nice coyotes, Do you guys keep the fur or just get rid of them. That country looks like shotgun and close encounter country for calling.

I dont skin them and best price I have got was $30 on carcass 2 years ago.

I've taken them with crossbows up close within 10-30yds, and up to 450 yards with rifle calling using mouth calls etc.

Troy G

Jan 10, 2012
. . . buddie just told me a dry scraped hide could bring $250 this year if its not shot up

SSSHHH! Don't tell anyone that. A couple of years ago we had a twenty dollar bounty placed on the coyotes, all you had to do was turn in four paws. There was carcass everywhere without paws, hardware stores never sold so many saws and hatchets, even the road kill was raped and pillaged, well hopefully just pillaged.

When the price goes up all hell breaks loose and people run them down with quads, trucks, ski-doos, whatever and will stop at nothing to get one. I have always hunted them to try and control numbers and so they are not so hard on the ungulates and birds in the area. Problem with the coyotes is that the more pressure they get the more babies they make to compensate.

All my hunting is with rifle and mostly calling, I do and try and ambush some off gut piles. The fur is not super prime yet but if I get a nice coyote I will take a picture of it.

Troy

Cut4fun

May 9, 2012
OH and surrounding states yote prices. Fur Pricing, last updated on November 8th, 2012

Coyote = Subtract $3 for green DEDUCT 25% to 35% value for each GRADE REDUCTION

$15 (36" long / I-grade / finished)
$7 ( 35.9" under / I-grade / finished)

Finished fur, Hides that have been properly scraped and stretched on the proper size board and completely dried.

Green fur, Properly skinned, rolled flesh in fur out and kept frozen until time to sell.

ECopsey

Oct 22, 2012
SSSHHH! Don't tell anyone that. A couple of years ago we had a twenty dollar bounty placed on the coyotes, all you had to do was turn in four paws. There was carcass everywhere without paws, hardware stores never sold so many saws and hatchets, even the road kill was raped and pillaged, well hopefully just pillaged.

When the price goes up all hell breaks loose and people run them down with quads, trucks, ski-doos, whatever and will stop at nothing to get one. I have always hunted them to try and control numbers and so they are not so hard on the ungulates and birds in the area. Problem with the coyotes is that the more pressure they get the more babies they make to compensate.

All my hunting is with rifle and mostly calling, I do and try and ambush some off gut piles. The fur is not super prime yet but if I get a nice coyote I will take a picture of it.

Troy

To the best of my knowledge Troy there is no bounty on then here yet, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings much if there was. The local farmers have all said they are having issues with livestock especially newborns. From what we have seen on trail cams the young deer count apers to be down also. some say the coyotes feed on the fawns this last spring.
when you can here them almost every night by just steeping out side I think they are a issue. Id rather hunt deer than coyotes I say shoot'em all .

ECopsey

Oct 22, 2012
Found this little guy in my buddies Trap on the way in to my deer stand yesterday morning.. He sure raised a lot of hell for a little guy..

Reactions: 3 people

Troy G

Jan 10, 2012
Went out last night to check my power ram snares and one was fired and the snare broke away. Not exactly sure what happened, could not find signs of a struggle or any hair from any animal. Anything the snares catch is usually dead when the ram fires or if it is not killed instantly will be out shortly. Unless it is something bigger like a big deer or a cow, which I saw no tracks to indicate.

de_dubya

Oct 28, 2012
Mt Washington, KY
To the best of my knowledge Troy there is no bounty on then here yet, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings much if there was. The local farmers have all said they are having issues with livestock especially newborns. From what we have seen on trail cams the young deer count apers to be down also. some say the coyotes feed on the fawns this last spring.
when you can here them almost every night by just steeping out side I think they are a issue. Id rather hunt deer than coyotes I say shoot'em all .

Read an article about a study done by a southern college (in Mississippi I think) where they tracked the fawns born. They collared X number and by July 70% of the may born fawns were dead because of 'yotes. That is an impressive number. I keep telling myself I am going to start 'yote hunting, but I never seem to make it to the woods. Got the long Thanksgiving weekend, and a 2 week break at Christmas... maybe I'll give 'er a go this year.

dw

Last edited:

de_dubya

Oct 28, 2012
Mt Washington, KY
If you like a healthy deer population you need to take care of the coyote population.

That is my goal.... just need to find the time.

Anyone ever in the Nolin Lake Region of KY and want to do a little calling/shooting I'd be game. We have a 130 ac mostly woods, thick and dense w/ a lot of underbrush afte the logging and the ice storm opened the canopy, w/ a 5+ ac field.

dw

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
Read an article about a study done by a southern college (in Mississippi I think) where they tracked the fawns born. They collared X number and by July 70% of the may born fawns were dead because of 'yotes. That is an impressive number. I keep telling myself I am going to start 'yote hunting, but I never seem to make it to the woods. Got the long Thanksgiving weekend, and a 2 week break at Christmas... maybe I'll give 'er a go this year.

dw

Same thing way up here, with the wolves and moose. A single wolf can take a healthy adult moose, and in a pack there's no question who wins that fight.

Year before last I found a spot full of fresh moose sign and scat, went the next morning and called. First thing I heard after that was a pack of wolves from across the way, no less than 10 replies, from 2 different directions. I was bow hunting and didn't have any backup, so that was the end of that mornings' calling. Now I carry the high power on the bike anytime I'm more than walking distance from camp.

Wolves are not to be messed with. A guy I worked with was running a delimber years ago, a pack appeared and circled the machine. He'd grab a pole in the clam and swing it around, but they'd stay just out of range. 2 hours later he called the boss to come with the rifle, he took 2 of them before the pack had scrammed. Buddy wasn't walking 2 miles back to the pickup with a pack of carnivores hounding him !