Quantcast

Apple fires Scott Forstall.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
Yep, they fired the executive iOS developer because he refused to sign a public apology. Apple has really gotten into politics bigtime (ie Tim Cook) and it makes the company look like it's run by a bunch of 12yr olds. The direction of this company has gone nowhere but downhill, so to see them chit can Scott Forstall doesn't surprise me in the least.....

I've always been a big fan of Forstall. Sucks to see him gone after 15 years. I had really really hoped he'd take over as CEO after Steve Jobs, but instead the job was given to Tim Cook (which was a horrible decision IMO). To say the least, I've been rather annoyed with Apple once Steve Jobs got ill to the point of not being able to run the company anymore. Since the late release of the 4S, Apple has made me sick. I can't stand Tim Cook and I feel they'll never be what they once were.

Scott Forstall was never in support of Tim Cook and he also felt the late release of the 4S was an outrage and a major let down for Apple fans. Honestly I think with his decision to not sign the apology (which Tim Cook wanted him to do) he either knew he was going to get fired, or didn't care that he could be fired. As much as it sucks he's gone, it's good to see guys like him get away from there. He's better off for sure.....

http://www.slate.com/blogs/trending...fired_for_refusing_to_apologize_for_fail.html

mweba

Reaction score
+1. Did they look into their little crystal ball? If so they would see Scott throwing a couple jabs from the competitors corner.

de_dubya

Reaction score
OK, I am admittedly anti-Apple (I'll never own one end of story) but what did he say that they wanted an apology from him?

Guess I could bing it (don't like google since they went anti-gun). My options are getting limited. Won't buy apple of run any google device or software.

dw

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
what did he say that they wanted an apology from him?

There were some flaws with iOS 6's new map software. This new map system was an attempt to compete with Google Maps. Not too sure if these issues were Forstall's fault directly or not, but be it he's the executive developer for the iOS software, Apple felt his name should be signed at the bottom of the public apology which they already had prepared.

CEO Tim Cook wanted Forstall to sign this public apology about the flaws/glitches with the map system and he completely refused to do so. Forstall mentioned to Cook (publicly) that there should have been a written and signed apology at the time when the iPhone 4 was released with the left hand / antenna issue as it was a much bigger problem than the glitches with the maps. Tim Cook disagreed with him - soon after Forstall was fired.

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Reaction score
I see Apple doing the same thing Microsoft did a few years ago- becoming too arrogant as an entity for their own good. Once a stock price goes above a certain threshold, a company starts thinking along the lines of "we can do no wrong." That's when CEOs start acting the way Tim Cook currently is. Soon after, internal scandals drive stock prices down and CEOs learn that being on top is a very precarious position to be in.

Arrogance blinds people to the reality of a situation.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
I see Apple doing the same thing Microsoft did a few years ago- becoming too arrogant as an entity for their own good. Once a stock price goes above a certain threshold, a company starts thinking along the lines of "we can do no wrong." That's when CEOs start acting the way Tim Cook currently is. Soon after, internal scandals drive stock prices down and CEOs learn that being on top is a very precarious position to be in.

Arrogance blinds people to the reality of a situation.

No doubt JJ, you are 100% correct.

Apple's head has gotten really really big, and it's to the point that everyone is able to see it. I've been a hardcore die-hard Apple fan since 2005, well I 'was' a hardcore die-hard Apple fan since 2005. At the time of Steve Job's health deteriorating really bad and the (eventual, yet worthless) iPhone 4S finally coming out last year, the nails were sealed in their coffin as far as I'm concerned (no pun intended). At the beginning of 2011 I had some hopes that Apple's not-so-good-looking-future would turn around, but unfortunately, Jobs was fighting for his life, and many poor decisions were made during his absence and the decision making has gotten worse and worse since he passed away. I'd love to see things turn around for the better but it's not looking like we'll seeing such actions anytime soon.

It's sad to see such a successful company head in said direction, but like you said, once the stock goes past a certain point, these companies think they're invulnerable - as history repeats itself one would think that things like this could be avoided. Apparently not.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Reaction score
No doubt JJ, you are 100% correct.

Apple's head has gotten really really big, and it's to the point that everyone is able to see it. I've been a hardcore die-hard Apple fan since 2005, well I 'was' a hardcore die-hard Apple fan since 2005. At the time of Steve Job's health deteriorating really bad and the (eventual, yet worthless) iPhone 4S finally coming out last year, the nails were sealed in their coffin as far as I'm concerned (no pun intended). At the beginning of 2011 I had some hopes that Apple's not-so-good-looking-future would turn around, but unfortunately, Jobs was fighting for his life, and many poor decisions were made during his absence and the decision making has gotten worse and worse since he passed away. I'd love to see things turn around for the better but it's not looking like we'll seeing such actions anytime soon.

It's sad to see such a successful company head in said direction, but like you said, once the stock goes past a certain point, these companies think they're invulnerable - as history repeats itself one would think that things like this could be avoided. Apparently not.

I like apple products... Why??? Because they're not microsoft... I like to see large companies get arrogant... It opens up the opportunity for some little startup to build the next cool item that may take the world by storm...
Hopefully...:saywhat:

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
I like apple products... Why??? Because they're not microsoft... I like to see large companies get arrogant... It opens up the opportunity for some little startup to build the next cool item that may take the world by storm...
Hopefully...:saywhat:

Don't get me wrong, I like Apple products too. I'll always own a MacBook, I'm currently on my 3rd one right now. And up until last year I was a die-hard iPhone owner. The new iPhone in 2011 was a major disappointment though. The iPhone 5 this year is better, and a well needed update for sure, but it still is behind the curve of the lastest and the greatest things out on the market right now. Apple has a lot of catching up to do before they think of pushing the envelope with the newest state-of-the-art smartphone. Back in the days of the first, second, and third gen iPhones was the time to really enjoy the iPhone as a revolutionary device. Over the past two or three years now though, Apple has really fallen behind as far as being numero uno in the smartphone world.

But back to my response. Apple's decisions and actions are ludicrous to say the least. I agree that if a company gets so big they should use it to their advantage and release something that will blow people away, something that no one has ever seen before. But that isn't happening unfortunately. The problem is Apple was already there, and they are long past that awesomeness they once had. Nowadays it's a bunch of political BS and lawsuits and patents and stocks and percentages and gains and losses and stats yada yada ect ect.....

What Apple produces and puts on the shelf is a wonderful thing - kick ass products in all categories. Prolly gonna be getting a new MacBook again this coming winter at some point. Love Macs, if I ever own a PC again it'll be a desktop which I use for no other reason than gaming. Macs are awesome and I'll always always have one. The iPhone (for quite a while) was the best phone one could buy. It's less of a novelty nowadays but it's still a beast as much as I may complain about it at times. I may have some personal issues with the outdated iOS software, but it never fails and always works even though it's far behind the revolutionary curve.

Apple's products are good and are great to own, but the politics of the company are an absolute disgrace....

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like Apple products too. I'll always own a MacBook, I'm currently on my 3rd one right now. And up until last year I was a die-hard iPhone owner. The new iPhone in 2011 was a major disappointment though. The iPhone 5 this year is better, and a well needed update for sure, but it still is behind the curve of the lastest and the greatest things out on the market right now. Apple has a lot of catching up to do before they think of pushing the envelope with the newest state of the art smartphone. Back in the days of the first, second, and third gen iPhones was the time to really enjoy the iPhone as a revolutionary device. Over the past two or three years now though, Apple has really fallen behind as far as being numero uno in the smartphone world.

But back to my response. Apple's decisions and actions are ludicrous to say the least. I agree that if a company gets so big they should use it to their advantage and release something that will blow people away, something that no one has ever seen before. But that isn't happening unfortunately. The problem is Apple was already there, and they are long past that awesomeness they once had. Nowadays it's a bunch of political BS and lawsuits and patents and stocks and percentages and gains and losses and stats yada yada ect ect.....

What Apple produces and puts on the shelf is a wonderful thing - kick ass products in all categories. Prolly gonna be getting a new MacBook again this coming winter at some point. Love Macs, if I ever own a PC again it'll be a desktop which I use for no other reason than gaming. Macs are awesome and I'll always always have one. The iPhone (for quite a while) was the best phone one could buy. It's less of a novelty nowadays but it's still a beast as much as I may complain about it at times. I may have some personal issues with the outdated iOS software, but it never fails and always works even though it's far behind the revolutionary curve.

Apple's products are good and are great to own, but the politics of the company are an absolute disgrace....

Gonna be hard to find someone as interested in "the products" as Jobs' was... As I type this on a Mac Mini...:wink:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Bet the Mac Mini has a higher resale value as well :smoking:

Latest posts