Bald Eagles

Poncho

Mar 5, 2012
Lacrosse WI
Last week the ice was going out of the Black River and the bald eagles congregate here. These pictures aren't great but here they are. FWIW I counted 58 from the place I was standing.

Reactions: 5 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Last week the ice was going out of the Black River and the bald eagles congregate here. These pictures aren't great but here they are. FWIW I counted 58 from the place I was standing.

That's pretty awesome, I think I've only ever seen them one at a time. First time I saw a nest a couldn't believe how big it was!!

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
That's badass guys. Purely badass.

There's a Bass Pro Shops about 2hrs form me and near by it is the NY state Montezuma WildLife Trail. LOTS of eagle nests up in the trees and electric line towers.

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
That's badass guys. Purely badass.

There's a Bass Pro Shops about 2hrs form me and near by it is the NY state Montezuma WildLife Trail. LOTS of eagle nests up in the trees and electric line towers.

Good stuff. :thumbsup:
Last summer I was riding around Canadice Lake and got dive bombed by one swooping in to grab a fish.
Scared me ✖✖✖✖less but cool to watch.

Reactions: 1 person

Poncho

Mar 5, 2012
Lacrosse WI
Very cool. Just purchased a nice set of glass for my wife to watch the locals. We have a nesting pair in the tree line 1/4 mile from the house. Got to watch the hatchlings learn to fly for two years now.

Are they fishing?

Eagle by mweba1, on Flickr

Eagle glide by mweba1, on Flickr

Eagle teenager by mweba1, on Flickr
Now those are some great shots.

Sorry, the eagles don't fish. They come here because the ice goes out of the river here first, and the dead gizzard shad float up to the surface for easy pickens.

I took those with a beater camera my handed down to me. It's my dog, chainsaw, tractor and orchard camera.

cjcocn

McRib
Jan 13, 2012
Earth
nice pics

we always have some around here ... in the winter while ice fishing someone will invariably throw some scrap fish onto the ice and generally the eagles can be expected to swoop down and pick up the offerings

in the fall while duck hunting there have been instances where an eagle has gone in for a free duck meal .... no one has ever tried to stop them - probably because the view is worth the price of admission

stihl023/5

BoobsRus
Jul 31, 2013
Those are some nice pics. There are a couple pairs nesting behind me by the lake. Fun to watch.

H 2 H

Oct 2, 2013
PNW
We have a few Bald Eagles up here in the PNW alone the Skagit River during a curtain time of the year :)

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
Weird Uncle Willie's basement
I have them right behind me.

My neighbor has chickens in his yard, well the eagles see them as a easy lunch when they wonder outside the yard and into the field. He does have some pics of the eagle carrying off one of his chicken's.

Well, he got sick of that so he called the DNR to ask if they could do anything. They told him that they can relocate the nest if he wants. He told them that he doesn't know where the nest is.
They told him that if he gives them permission on his land they will look for the nest.

Well, his problem was he didn't know where the nest was because it wasn't on his property. The DNR told him that they can't pull a nest without the landowners permission.

Well, he told the DNR that the next time a eagle comes after his chickens he's going to shoot it....
The officer didn't think that was to funny...

Needless to say, after that we have had a heavy DNR presence in our area for a good month after that.

stihl023/5

BoobsRus
Jul 31, 2013
I have them right behind me.

My neighbor has chickens in his yard, well the eagles see them as a easy lunch when they wonder outside the yard and into the field. He does have some pics of the eagle carrying off one of his chicken's.

Well, he got sick of that so he called the DNR to ask if they could do anything. They told him that they can relocate the nest if he wants. He told them that he doesn't know where the nest is.
They told him that if he gives them permission on his land they will look for the nest.

Well, his problem was he didn't know where the nest was because it wasn't on his property. The DNR told him that they can't pull a nest without the landowners permission.

Well, he told the DNR that the next time a eagle comes after his chickens he's going to shoot it....
The officer didn't think that was to funny...

Needless to say, after that we have had a heavy DNR presence in our area for a good month after that.
That would be about the last shot he would ever fire. Are you 2 related?

olyman

Jan 7, 2014
the was a show on history channel, some time back. from Alaska. it showed, dnr flunkys, and some cops, form one town I don't remember, chasing eagles away from young school kids!!!!!!! yup!!! pickings were slim for some reason,,and the eagles were going after the young kids!!! oohhhhhhhhh!!! and I love watching them!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Fifelaker

I can almost see Genius' mushroom cloud from here.
Jul 31, 2013
Fife lake,Mi
There is a nest on one of the islands on Fife lake. It has been there for years. I was looking over the lake at my parents old house when something caught my eye. It was one of the eagles it nabbed a tree rat off a branch about 20' from me and flew to the island for lunch.

Reactions: 2 people