Barn build thread

jimdad07

Aug 27, 2013
Upstate NY, way upstate
I've started a 28x50 timber framed barn, two story. First floor is going to be 12' to the ceiling for tractor and metal work, 2nd floor will be strictly wood shop. Tired of wrenching in the yard and tired of not having enough room to do my woodworking. As of right now I have a slab poured and started sawing beams. First beam I finished sawing last night, 10x16x21'. Hopefully I'll be able to do more tonight.

Out in Amish VS985 4G Smokin' big ol doinks

jimdad07

Aug 27, 2013
Upstate NY, way upstate
So is it going to be a true timber frame?
Yes it is. I haven't been able to mill any more yet, hopefully tomorrow but I'm starting to lay out some joinery on the first tie beam. Starting with the most complicated joint, the scarf joint. It'll be a big one at 64" long, undersquinted and wedged in the middle. Going to be a total of 9 scarf joints in the frame, four of them at 40" long and five at 64" long. After the next tie beam is cut I'm going to start cutting joinery.

Reactions: 8 people

Jimmy in NC

Mill Monkey
Aug 27, 2013
Where tobacco is a vegtable
Yes it is. I haven't been able to mill any more yet, hopefully tomorrow but I'm starting to lay out some joinery on the first tie beam. Starting with the most complicated joint, the scarf joint. It'll be a big one at 64" long, undersquinted and wedged in the middle. Going to be a total of 9 scarf joints in the frame, four of them at 40" long and five at 64" long. After the next tie beam is cut I'm going to start cutting joinery.

Scarf? Didn't know you were sleding. Thought this was about building a barn!

Good luck with the project Jim.