Breaking in the 365EC

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
It was a busy day to say the least. Well, it kept me occupied for a few hours anyway. The 365 got its first real workout since getting it back. I only had a couple of brief chances to use it before today. For the majority of its life it will wear a 20" bar, so I figured the 8-pin rim is perfect for it. I'll eventually have a .404 setup for it this summer, I'm hoping that works as well as I think it will. Eric did a hell of a job with this saw. So here are a few pics and a couple movies from my unorganized tree debacle.

What's easier than dropping it next to the woodpile???

Surveying the area

Forgot the 365 was on the ground, covered it when using the 136 for a few cookies

Not too shabby for a 91vxl chain that I sharpened with a rush job on the grinder

This certainly isn't the norm for shavings, but I was impressed with some of the shavings. I've been unhappy with the results of a new borizon sharpening wheel that I recently bought, but I guess this shows it's not too bad.... And I haven't even touched the rakers yet. I think this chain has been filed a couple of times and touched up on the grinder once. Very gently.

REALLY rough cutting with the 136. It cut surprisingly fast (or so I thought anyway) but was definitely very chattery.

Last edited:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
365 cut quite a bit smoother, couldn't feel any vibrations while cutting, but still not very smooth. I can definitely appreciate all of the work that goes into making a good work/race chain. I would never have noticed the differences if I hadn't been reading up on one of the race chain builds over on Nitrosaws.com

A lil noodlin. A day's not complete without some noodles.

Presentation is everything!

And a couple of vids.

Last edited:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I think EC needs to make an appearance up in hurr and take a theoretical bow :lol:

If an ape were to theoretically be violated in an unspeakable manner, then proceed to run - I would imagine it to be in an intensity similar to which this saw runs. Not sure if that's clear enough?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Tom the saw should get stronger yet with some more fuel...
Glad your happy run it like ya stole it.. hows the plug look'in ?
Last comp check I did it looked like the shorts in your avatar, maybe a little more brown. I found the sweet spot for a tune for the way I cut ;) I think it's close to 14k at the moment, hauling like a freight train.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Saw is still getting broken in one cookie at a time. Hopefully have some cutting lined up here shortly where I'll actually have to refuel before the job is done.

In the meantime I've been playing around with sharpening to try and improve that end of the spectrum for me.

Same bag from the sharpening thread but more shavings added to it. I'm getting better :)

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
And today we cut a bunch more in the cookie department. Been really working on my chain, as I figure that's the part that will hold this saw back the most now. It's all gotta work together as a system.

So what we done was set all of the cutters first with a grinder. Got the angles both top angle and cutter angle matched up on each tooth. Once that was completed I then went back into the tooth with a 3/16" file to do some cleanup. What I didn't want was to hit the top of the cutter at all. Kept the file low and maybe shaded back a couple of degrees to help with some chip flow along with adding a bit of upward degree which cut into the drive link and side plate a bit. So in theory (which in my head doesn't necessarily mean much) I have a good sharp cutter doing its thing, and a good evacuation route for the chips to get out.

Gotta say this is far more work than I'd do for any normal chain headed out to hit some firewood but it's been fun to try this, try that, and try something else to see how it affects a cut. I don't plan on winning any races but it definitely cuts a whole lot faster now than it did a few days ago.

And now muh sawz all derty

young

Sup dawg. Mah yooza tytle iz cussum, son.
Jan 10, 2012
kentucky
i mean, in this day and age of broadband, can we get some bigger pictures?!?!?!?!?!? :p:p

Reactions: 2 people
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SawDoc Breaking news on Facebook Chainsawz 4
originalrebel breaking news The Razorback Lounge 3
Genius Breaking Bad GeekHawgz! 2
Genius Breaking News!!!! Duck Dynasty!! The Razorback Lounge 13