Burning big rounds?

Special Ed

Jan 9, 2012
I am trying something different this winter. I am going to cut my larger diameter logs into short rounds, something like 12" long, instead of splitting wood. I am running a Central 6048 boiler, 500,000 btu. Heating 2400 sq, feet of house, and a big shop. It doesn't "idle" very much. I will post my results. I do have smaller logs to mix in, so the rounds won't be stacking like coins in the boiler.

Reactions: 1 person
Jan 16, 2012
in my shop
I am trying something different this winter. I am going to cut my larger diameter logs into short rounds, something like 12" long, instead of splitting wood. I am running a Central 6048 boiler, 500,000 btu. Heating 2400 sq, feet of house, and a big shop. It doesn't "idle" very much. I will post my results. I do have smaller logs to mix in, so the rounds won't be stacking like coins in the boiler.
i dont own one of those,but im thinkin itll work

If it's got a big enough feed door it should work .A local guy has a big outside burner and he stuffs it from a skidloader with up to to 18" rounds cut to firewood length of about 16-18 inchs .

The guy isn't all that praticular what it is either .Oak to cottonwood whatever fits he burns .Buys it all off the trimmers as long as it's cheap .

Blazin

Mr. Whiskerz
Jan 13, 2012
Upstate NY
I have the same boiler for the most part, a 5648. Big rounds are ok if you leave room around them for smaller wood to fill the firebox... when the temps drop.

stihlonlynow

Huskeevarnee Hawg
Aug 20, 2013
upstate NY
splits

You get more btu's from dry wood. Upwards of 25% from what I read. Split wood dries down much better. I had some hickory rounds that were cut since February. The wood moisture meter said 38% when I split them in august. Two weeks later it was down to 25%. I need to resplit a piece because I don't know if I trust the meter. The prongs don't go into the hickory that far. So....25% more btu's equates to 25% less wood all other things being equal. I am going to split the rounds. I am curious how your test worked out?

weimedog

Jan 10, 2012
I throw a 8 to 10in dia round in with my typical split wood when I want the stove to idle during the days we aren't home. I also usually use Hop-Hornbeam for that. Really dense, even if the rest burns completely there are embers to start the evening fire on those rounds.

procarbine2k1

Jan 10, 2012
I would try it if I had a decent sized outdoor unit. I have a smaller stove (it does heat the whole house). Doing it that way may not be as efficient but then again you might be on to something. I don't think youll have any trouble with the wood seasoning with that short of a round.

stihlonlynow

Huskeevarnee Hawg
Aug 20, 2013
upstate NY
I don't think a 12" long round is going to season as well as a split. But its going to be better than green. If you cut it any shorter it would season better but you would have enough sawdust to bed the horses for the winter.

greendohn

pacing is a way of life
Oct 17, 2013
Rush County
I'm going the other direction.

I'm trying smaller splits of wood and less of it with the occasional bigger wood to 'hold" a longer fire..at least until it starts getting much colder.
My thinking is that the smaller splits provide for more surfaces burning bringing the stove up to temp a little faster, and less smoke. This is a new experiment for me, and seems to be working well, in the mild weather we've been having.
I'm going to continue this "experiment" into colder weather and see how it goes.

Good luck to you in your endeavours, keep us posted as to how it goes. I'll try and do the same. Peace.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
de_dubya State Considers Banning Wood burning from November 1 to March 15 Hawgz Back 40 12
Mrs. J Still burning!!!!! Hawgz Back 40 37
Dh 1984 Important about Wood burning Inside my house The Razorback Lounge 58
Freehand Neighbor Gave Me His Old Log Splitter, Big Game Engine Hunting Now......... Hawgz Back 40 42
cat-face timber Big Pioneer with a long BLADE... WTF Chainsawz 22
mikeypizano The Official Motivate The Big Giant Head to Lose Weight Thread! The Razorback Lounge 63
Majorpayne The Big Guys Birthday The Razorback Lounge 36
Termitebuffet Big Red Build Thread Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 142
Eccentric A BIG Thank You (and GFY) to Definitive Dave and DSS Chainsawz 33
echoshawn Big 4 slice toaster aka PM1000 For Sale 8
srcarr52 Dolmar 9000/9010 Big Bore, AKA the Dolkivarna Chainsawz 44
DefinitiveDave 660 Big Bore Plating Issue or Straight Gassed? You decide - yeah there are pics Chainsawz 15
DefinitiveDave hamfisted neighbor - wobbly big end bearing - blissful vacation - TL:DR Chainsawz 3
SHRIFFRAFF Big dick jokes The Razorback Lounge 23
cpr Score. Remington Big Banger. Chainsawz 9
W Huztl 52mm Big Bore (75cc's) vs. Husqvarna 365 / 372 Hybrid & some comments on this series Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 2
W Quandry, Huztl 372 "Big Bore" build Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 16
DefinitiveDave Big Dogs/Felling spikes little review Chainsawz 15
WoodChuck'r When/Where'z the next big MidWest Spring GTG....?? GTG'z & Eventz 74
exSW Shindaiwa ever make a big saw? Chainsawz 11
KenJax Tree New show called Big Bad Wood on National Geographic on Thursdays at 9pm Chainsawz 12
Poncho Why are Stihl's so big and heavy? Chainsawz 12
young ok ok orange is alittle lighter then red... big deal. nobody cares. =P 346 vs 2153 Chainsawz 26
F Big Pipe Saw Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 38
young 404 its big and i like it. TK this is for you =) Chainsawz 18
rms61moparman TRADED - Big ol' Homelite for sale or trade - TRADED For Sale 1
RandyMac 700 Rounds .45 Acp For Sale 14
Chity_Avatar We can load 10 rounds again Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 19
Chity_Avatar 760 Rounds of .223 ammo For Sale 21
Chity_Avatar New York says we can only load 7 rounds in a mag Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 16