Cameras

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
We've all seen pics everywhere on the forums, and some look better than others :lol: It doesn't really matter in most instances as we're all just happy to have pictures to look at. Reading sometimes gets in the way of a good picture. So what are you guys using? Take pictures as a hobby or a passion and shoot stuff other than chainsaws? Post 'em up, let us know what settings work well in certain situations, lighting, lenses, etc. All the good stuff.

Reactions: 1 person

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
The brunt of my forum stuff comes from my phone. Snappy uploads to photobucket or flickr and off we go posting.

Other times I like to use a DSLR. I spent a couple of years saving up my pennies from plowing and odd jobs whenever there was a buck or two leftover after bills, and picked up a Nikon D5000. It came with the standard 18-55mm lens, and I bought a 55-200mm lens to go with it. A couple of filters (UV, Polarized, and some star thingy) and a bag. I almost bought an extra battery, but the life on this thing is incredible, and I don't do photography as a job or anything so it lasts way longer than I've ever needed it to. And it charges quickly.

I have no skills with this thing. I'd like to get better but will just teach myself as I go, and learn what I can from others. I just don't have that natural eye for it I guess. I'll try and dredge up a few non-chainsaw pics to show what I got.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
I love taking photos of stuff. I think I get it from my dad. He was an avid photographer. He used to take his camera with him EVERYWHERE. I don't remember what his camera was but it was a DSLR Canon and he had a sick lens with it. He had well over $5k invested into that camera. He took photos of mainly nature scenes - lots of countryside photos with old barns in the background and what not. He LOVED taking photos more than just about anything.

I enjoy taking photos. I have a Sony DSC H5, bought it in '06. It's nothing special but it's way better than any other camera I've ever owned. Although the smartphone cameras are becoming very impressive. Hell they have been impressive for a few years now. Can't wait to see what the future is gonna bring in the next 5 years for smartphone camera technology. S'gonna do nothing but get better. I usually use the iPhone for the photos I take just because of how nice the quality already is. But if I go to a rally race and or wanna take some really decent pics, I bring my Sony. Like I said it's not special at all, but the lens has decent analog zoom and it does pull of some rather good non DSLR macro in the proper focus / lighting.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I love taking photos of stuff. I think I get it from my dad. He was an avid photographer. He used to take his camera with him EVERYWHERE. I don't remember what his camera was but it was a DSLR Canon and he had a sick lens with it. He had well over $5k invested into that camera. He took photos of mainly nature scenes - lots of countryside photos with old barns in the background and what not. He LOVED taking photos more than just about anything.

I enjoy taking photos. I have a Sony DSC H5, bought it in '06. It's nothing special but it's way better than any other camera I've ever owned. Although the smartphone cameras are becoming very impressive. Hell they have been impressive for a few years now. Can't wait to see what the future is gonna bring in the next 5 years for smartphone camera technology. S'gonna do nothing but get better. I usually use the iPhone for the photos I take just because of how nice the quality already is. But if I go to a rally race and or wanna take some really decent pics, I bring my Sony. Like I said it's not special at all, but the lens has decent analog zoom and it does pull of some rather good non DSLR macro in the proper focus / lighting.
Ya most of the stuff I like to take is of nature stuff for sure. And seemingly more and more with the chainsaw stuff and how-to's along with WTF is this type of pictures - I need a macro lens. I don't have nearly that much money wrapped up into this camera, but it's still a lot. Had to save up for a long time to get it! Rally pics are pretty sweet, post some up if you can :thumbsup:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Actually along with that macro lens, I definitely need some good software. I have absolutely nothing to edit pics with unless there's something that came on my computer..... It's not a mac lol just a cheapy pc. I catch the edges of other stuff in my pics and need a way to crop crap out. Like the pictures of the sky - caught a wire in one and the tip of a tree in another.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
I shoot with a Nikon D3000. Looking to upgrade now that I know it will get used. For the most part though, since tapatalk became available, I use my phone. It is 8 mp with dual led flash so it does the job.

Nikon capture is the software I use but it's very involved/complicated. The things you can do though......wow. Shoot in the raw all the time.

young

Sup dawg. Mah yooza tytle iz cussum, son.
Jan 10, 2012
kentucky
canon shooter. rocking old busted 30D:lol: with 24-105L and 70-200L.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I shoot with a Nikon D3000. Looking to upgrade now that I know it will get used. For the most part though, since tapatalk became available, I use my phone. It is 8 mp with dual led flash so it does the job.

Nikon capture is the software I use but it's very involved/complicated. The things you can do though......wow. Shoot in the raw all the time.
What do you run for a computer? Gotta be something good to process raw photo images, the raw files I've pulled off my camera were ridiculous in size! Then I realized I had no software to open them so I lost them all lol

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Toshiba windows seven with last years dual core amd processor. The raw files ares huge for sure but you can do so much more with them. Nikon transfer nx is a free down load on there site and work very well for some processing and raw conversion. Also can downsize with that program.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Oh nice I'll have to look into it for sure. I like the idea of having the full photo data but never had a way to deal with it. Thanks man, who'd a thought I'd get my camera info here at the Hawg Hangout!!!

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
I just use muh phone 95% of the time, but I do have a nice Nikon camera at home. I dont know much about it though.

The phone is just so easy for posting pics. Point, click, upload, post. Repeat.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Anybody here got a macro lens for their dslr? I'm curious as to some specs on them , numbers, brands, stuff like that. And price too, or I guess I'll find that on my own when I look. I'm really hoping to get one by the end of the year, but I'd like to research them a bit and know ahead of time what kind of $$ I'm looking at so I have a savings goal.

young

Sup dawg. Mah yooza tytle iz cussum, son.
Jan 10, 2012
kentucky

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
I use canon since that's what I started out with. I just have 2 lenses so far. I want a macro lens but the droind 3 does real good for that so I'm not sure I want to spend the money for one.

This is from my phone.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I use canon since that's what I started out with. I just have 2 lenses so far. I want a macro lens but the droind 3 does real good for that so I'm not sure I want to spend the money for one.

This is from my phone.

Pretty much everything I've uploaded here so far has been with my phone, which has done alright so far. I think its 8mp? I'm looking for some super clarity, not just for posting here but for other stuff as well. It seems like most of the stuff I want to take pictures of is really small (hehehehe have your laughs here) so I want to get some good shots, magnified. Not just a life size pic but some good magnification for enhancing detail would be awesome. I guess with some good, high MP cameras you could use software to blow up the shot..... I dunno. I've just seen some ridiculous photos from macro lens' that make me want one :yup:

Nice lookin chain, wanna send me one? :evilgrin:

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
I can do good with the canon but the lighting has to be perfect. I'm not even done with that one yet.:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
naked arborist Cameras for surveillance only. Hawgz Back 40 2
Chity_Avatar High speed cameras GeekHawgz! 6