Camping season starts early

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Another unseasonable day in Iowa motivated me to start prepping the camper. For years I was a hard core tent guy but along came three girls, a forth on the way, that changed everything. Suddenly I needed indoor plumbing and cooking provisions:screwy:. So these days we "rough it" in a 30ft Dutchman with three rooms, central air and heat. Fortunately, I still get to pick the locations:thumbsup: I have a favorite spot, an old camp ground near forgotten approx forty miles from home. The only "modern comfort" there is a small play ground. Miles of beautiful trails surrounded by reconstituted native prairie take up most of my time.

So what is every ones fave way to camp/relax?

Couple pics from my favorite site.

Prairie View by mweba1, on Flickr

My oldest

Wild flower by mweba1, on Flickr

Prairie flowers/grass by mweba1, on Flickr

Caterpillar returned home by mweba1, on Flickr

Reactions: 3 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I prefer the tent as a camper is a lot of maintenance and work. Campers sure are nice though. The family has a 12' popup which is nice to have even though it's a terrible camper. Wish we got a different brand.

My tent is a cabelas 10'x20' three room tent. I love it. And my favorite place to go is a little hole in the wall that hardly anyone knows how to drive to. It's mainly a canoe stop down the saco river. $7 per night. Works for me. I'll find some pictures around here somewhere. I also like the white lake state park in new Hampshire. Nice place out there. And we go to a friends camp in downeast Maine which is an awesome spot as well.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Got plans made already for some Memorial day camping, then some more camping towards the end of June. Then a crazy long ass week and a half of mayhem. Starting the last weekend in June is a 3-day canoe trip down the Saco River, leaving on a Friday and finishing on a Sunday. Then Monday morning about 4am the wife and I take off to a friends camp downeast in the blueberry capitol of the world. Wyman's blueberry fields back yard practically. There's a Louden race at NHIS and a Red Sox game snuck in this year too, and I'm hoping to add another camping trip at some point mid summer and a road-trip to Niagara Falls for a sort of honeymoon trip. And if I do that, I'm gonna have to annoy a bunch of you NYCSM guys along the way :evilgrin: Busy summer!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Reactions: 2 people

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
We went out to the lake this morning, had lunch at the lake, set up the add-a-room and put the stuff in it. Split my cord of wood before leaving and dropped it at the out-law's campsite. We had supper out there too and started to attack the pile of rounds I've been dropping off this spring. Tomorrow will be a continuation of today, calling for nice sun and minimal winds --- which will be a nice change from the big North winds we've been having lately.

It's gonna be a beauty !!!

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
Ok, now I'm pooped ....

100_0300.jpg

That's the result of an afternoon with a Fiskars X-25, the little brother of the 27 ('cause I'm little). 5-ft high pile, 16' long (average top/bottom). Holey cow, what an awesome tool that is, compared to the 6-lb anchor-on-a-handle I tried last week. And only 5 bucks more than the cheapy maul, the Fiskars is on special this week at Crappy Tire. You sure see quality in a different light after trying junk.

Reactions: 3 people

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Camped three different locals this weekend.... La Quinta, La Country Inn and La Best Western. Fancy livin :cucumber::cucumber:

Reactions: 1 person

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Got home from another weekend/week of camping. Spent last weekend canoeing down the Saco River with some buddies and tented along the way. Then Monday I headed up north to another buddy's camp and spent the week up there. Stayed in a tent outside though. There were two couples, two dogs, and two small children in the camp so I chose to sleep in muh tent to avoid that hassle at night. Had a lot of fun, went to Acadia National Park on Thursday. It was a great week to say the least.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
Got home from another weekend/week of camping. Spent last weekend canoeing down the Saco River with some buddies and tented along the way. Then Monday I headed up north to another buddy's camp and spent the week up there. Stayed in a tent outside though. There were two couples, two dogs, and two small children in the camp so I chose to sleep in muh tent to avoid that hassle at night. Had a lot of fun, went to Acadia National Park on Thursday. It was a great week to say the least.
That sounds like a good time...

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
It was. You should do it sometime. Both the Saco river and Acadia ;)
I am not a fan of the east or west coast, but Maine is on my must see states list... And when I decide to make the trip, I'll be calling for suggestions!!!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I am not a fan of the east or west coast, but Maine is on my must see states list... And when I decide to make the trip, I'll be calling for suggestions!!!
I won't be the best tour guide. We are a tourist state though for sure. I feel like an outsider around here.

No lie - I heard this last week. We had two vehicles and we had pulled over for a minute in Acadia. There was a boy with his dad on the side of the road as we pulled away and the little boy said, "Look dad, a Maine license plate!!!"

But I can surely get you to a few awesome places.

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
I like camping, Its too hot around here to enjoy it much right now though. It don't cool off much even after dark! Ill pull back to my spot in a couple more months though. :yup:

Reactions: 2 people