carlton chain

Pa.powerchain

Feb 19, 2012
just wondering if anyone has used carlton chain in the woods/landing and if so, how well does it hold up. ive ran the oregon bluetooth for awhile and started running stihl chain.....seems to hold an edge much longer but its more expensive too. i can get a roll of carlton full comp for the same price as oregon so i may give it a try.

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
What little I've run of the older stuff seems like it was harder than oregon but not quite as good as stihl for keeping an edge.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
The Carlton chisel chain isn't quite as aggressive as the Oregon but seems to hold an edge better.
And the Carlton semi chisel holds up very well in dirty conditions.

We here in the Northeast went through a price increase about a month ago for Stihl chain,
it was the same price as Oregon, now it's about 2$ a loop more expensive.

Reactions: 1 person

Kevin

Feb 7, 2012
I sell carlton and oregon chain. The carlton rolls I've got I've always found inconsistencies in the cutters and the guellets look poor. In saying that, I think carlton chain is a good chain as long as you work it (spend some time) before you use it. Right out of the box it cuts alright (good enough for the homeowner by far) but not as good as a out of the box Oregon LGX. IMO, Oregon chain is top shelf.

Pa.powerchain

Feb 19, 2012
ive always had to touch up a new oregon but i always do that anyhow with my felling saw. only time i run a "out of the box" chain is on the landing. i will say the stihl chain is way better when ran right out of the box. the stihl dealer down here was telling me he had a price increase too. im not looking to run any semi-chisel but i think im going to try the carlton stuff.

Kevin

Feb 7, 2012
ive always had to touch up a new oregon but i always do that anyhow with my felling saw. only time i run a "out of the box" chain is on the landing. i will say the stihl chain is way better when ran right out of the box. the stihl dealer down here was telling me he had a price increase too. im not looking to run any semi-chisel but i think im going to try the carlton stuff.
I feel the same way about touching up a new chain before I use it but the carlton you have to spend more time getting it presentable IME (in my experience)

Reactions: 2 people

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
I feel the same way about touching up a new chain before I use it but the carlton you have to spend more time getting it presentable IME (in my experience)
You guys must be pickier, or have more time than I do.
But I'm also the weirdo that rather swap chains than stop to sharpen.

mdavlee

Jan 10, 2012
I usually put all the square ground stuff on the grinder before I put it on a saw. A lot of it is really crap off the roll. The round stuff I usually run until dull or I'm done cutting that day then I put it on the grinder and start getting it converted over to square ground.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
You guys must be pickier, or have more time than I do.
But I'm also the weirdo that rather swap chains than stop to sharpen.
Same here. Two or three chains with me when I cut. If I run out of sharp chains I either call it quits because I'm doing something severely wrong or I give in and break out the file. Quitting usually wins because a quitter gets to the 12-pack before the guy who works to the end.

And what I see just looking at chains, Stihl and Oregon appear to be better made. Better stamping and finishing whereas Carlton and Windsor have always looked a little bit off to me. Never heard a complaint aboutcarlton though as far as quality goes..... Windsor I've tried and it's been soft like tri-link chain.

Pa.powerchain

Feb 19, 2012
what sucks about this is that none of our dealers around my area carry carlton stuff. they can order it but they dont stock it, so i cant just try a couple chains to see what its like before i buy a whole roll........the way i look at it is when im using that chain for a days work......why not have it smooth and sharp. ya im fussy, lol! but a good chain means easier work....know what i mean? once you have run a good hand filed chain...its hard to run anything different. (my opinion) thanks for all the input...it was helpful

mdavlee

Jan 10, 2012
Yeah round filed or square filed a good chain makes a big difference.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
what sucks about this is that none of our dealers around my area carry carlton stuff. they can order it but they dont stock it, so i cant just try a couple chains to see what its like before i buy a whole roll........the way i look at it is when im using that chain for a days work......why not have it smooth and sharp. ya im fussy, lol! but a good chain means easier work....know what i mean? once you have run a good hand filed chain...its hard to run anything different. (my opinion) thanks for all the input...it was helpful
I'm still not hooked up with all of the different distributors availble to me, but any place so far that I can get Carlton chain it would be as expensive as Stihl chain - or even higher. That may be an issue for other dealers and why they may not stock it. Last time I checked I'd have to sell an 18" loop for like $24ish to have a reasonable profit margin. No thank you :lol: although if anybody wants a loop I've always been more than happy to order it for them. It's just whether they want to pay the price or not.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
I'm still not hooked up with all of the different distributors availble to me, but any place so far that I can get Carlton chain it would be as expensive as Stihl chain - or even higher. That may be an issue for other dealers and why they may not stock it. Last time I checked I'd have to sell an 18" loop for like $24ish to have a reasonable profit margin. No thank you :lol: although if anybody wants a loop I've always been more than happy to order it for them. It's just whether they want to pay the price or not.
Yeah my cost for a 3/8 .050 x 72 DL chain in Carlton is only 80 cents cheaper than the Stihl chain
same goes for Oregon that's why I sell Stihl chain even for Husky's.

Pa.powerchain

Feb 19, 2012
i asked my local (amish) jonsered dealer here about a 100' roll and he told me $320 for carlton or oregon. my stihl dealer down the road told me $359 but i see baileys has a roll for $250 for woodland pro which i believe is "carlton" right? there is also a stahl's "mobil" dealer that i havent crossed paths with yet but i think he is really reasonable. i know his oregon 20" full comp is like 11 or 12 bucks. i just got to catch him somewhere around here. i wanta find out if he carries carlton stuff too

Pa.powerchain

Feb 19, 2012
nate told me i should check them out, but i never did. that is alot cheaper .......ile definitely give em a call....thanks

mdavlee

Jan 10, 2012
Cl was $230 a roll a couple days ago. They told me it is going up soon and not sure how much. The last increase was $10 a roll last fall.

SawTroll

Jan 10, 2012
Troms, North Norway.
I haven't used many Carlton chains. Among the ones I have used they suck in .325 semi chisel, but are OK in 3/8 chisel (provided they are filed) - neither are nearly as smooth in the cut as low vibe Oregon and Stihl chain though - and I will not buy any Carlton chain of the current design. ;)

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Closeout Deal on a Couple of Carlton Chain Reels Chainsawz 10
BloodOnTheIce Carlton Chain Sale Buy 4, Get 1 Free Chainsawz 2
Nixon Carlton FOP part #’s . Chainsawz 7
heimannm Carlton File-O-Plate Chainsawz 26
BloodOnTheIce Carlton introduced a line of Dog Toys The Razorback Lounge 12
Nixon Chain question . Chainsawz 52
trx250r180 Stihl usg round chain grinder For Sale 9
cat-face timber Homelite Super XL 925 Bar/Chain Wanted 3
Nickolas Chain parts and pieces Wanted 0
N .063 gauge .325 chain , is it common in the USA ? , I need some Chainsawz 26
2broke2ride ID this chain please Chainsawz 3
N Word is Blount / Oregon chain / bars has been sold Hawgz Back 40 24
S Makita 6401, sugihara 32" bar, how long of a chain? Chainsawz 9
mdavlee Race chain for Jeremy and Shauna Chainsawz 6
Cut4fun Chain build off GTG'z & Eventz 8
Majorpayne Handling Bulk Chain Chainsawz 58
H Chain geekery: Chisel Ground vs Chisel Filed Chainsawz 21
G Need 32" bar and full skip chain Wanted 8
ft. churchill Timberline chain sharpener Chainsawz 5
P Menard's Chain Prices Chainsawz 25
B Wanted 3/4 harvester chain Wanted 7
Magnumitis Chain grinder Hawgz Garage 39
DefinitiveDave Franzen sharpener, stihl service clinic, safety chain, counterfeit saws, etc. Chainsawz 31
C Chain Saw Industry magazines Chainsawz 1
B General 60 inch bar and chain for Homelite For Sale 1
BloodOnTheIce Homelite 340 with 16" bar and chain For Sale 5
BloodOnTheIce New 36" Stihl .404 .063 Semi Chisel Full Skip Chain For Sale 3
Wood Doctor Stihl 028 and Chain Pitch Chainsawz 23
S 028av chain brake wanted Wanted 1
P Greg Norman recovering from chain-saw accident The Razorback Lounge 2
B Stihl 020t Stuck chain adjuster Chainsawz 0
Black Dog Chainsaw .325 058 chain - 100' roll or loops For Sale 0
Black Dog Chainsaw MacCulloch .354 chain For Sale 1
R Stihl Chain... want some , at pretty good prices? Chainsawz 14
L Chain Identifcation Chainsawz 1
DefinitiveDave NOS Stihl RS2 3/8" .063 chain For Sale 3
trx250r180 chain grinder For Sale 17
axlr8 Chain sharpener. Wanted 22
fossil Trying to locate some .404 X .058 chain Chainsawz 14
50blues wanted Stihl ms250 ez start recoil and tool less chain cover Wanted 0
C whos got the best price/value on 13" or 15" guide bar and chain for my 024 stihl ??? Chainsawz 18
P Bar and Chain Oil Jugs Chainsawz 60
H Oregon 511AX chain vise bed Wanted 8
griffonks Stihl chain roll prices Chainsawz 31
griffonks Chain spinners and breakers Chainsawz 48
N Bench mounted Chain Grinders....what are you usiing ?? Chainsawz 62
H 2 H Anyone need a chain sharpener ? Chainsawz 13
Freehand Anybody Know Where A Feller Can Get A Full House Chain For One O Deez? Chainsawz 33
Chity_Avatar Please evaluate my chain Chainsawz 13
PA Dan 026 chain brake parts Wanted 10