Cash Concerns

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
So a guy came in today and paid for a new tractor and bagger. He paid cash, cool, right? I didn't think much of it at first. Then I got to realizing that all but a couple of the bills were really old, like small faced 20, 30, 40+ year old bills. Without owning a fancy bill checking pen, can I check for validity? How far back were the strips placed inside the bills? Anybody know much about checking if they're real?

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
The strips are a relatively new invention, 2004 was the first year for those I think. Some people legitimately have large bundles of cash socked away for just such a purchase. When my grandpa died, it drove my dad crazy because grandpa had buried jars of money all over his property. My dad found four of what he thought was probably around 16 or so.

Reactions: 3 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Looked into them a little, they seem legit I guess. The guy put a deposit on it Saturday and said he'd be back Tuesday to pay the rest and pick it up, couldn't do it that day because people were late with their rent.... Then he shows up with antique moneys :D

Mountain Man

Oct 2, 2012
Those pens are cheap, available @ staples, and work decent. Buy some !

Otherwise, the paper currency is printed on, isnt paper. Its 75% cotten, 25% linnen, and has a distinct feel. Its the toughest part of currency to forge. Most counterfitters are amatures, and get the pictures right looking, but use regular old paper inkjet ot laserjet printers. The Actuall printing on currency is " Raised". I like to check the neck clothing area on bills. It has a pattern that is easily detected by a fingernail.

I could go on and on, but this will catch a bunch of fakes really quickly. Ive learned this hands on by people in the know.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Soooooo the cash was clean. But a check I took last week was not. Back over to the hit someone with Tyson's fist thread........

Bought a 562xp with a techlite on that check..... Pretty sure I can get him nailed though.

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
Soooooo the cash was clean. But a check I took last week was not. Back over to the hit someone with Tyson's fist thread........

Bought a 562xp with a techlite on that check..... Pretty sure I can get him nailed though.

A new saw huh? Do you take ledger checks on a business account that was closed three years ago? :D

Reactions: 2 people

PB

Nov 5, 2012
TK, I have a check here for $2000 that my bank won't cash. If I send it to you, will you send me a new 562XP and whatever is left over you can keep? It's a legit check from the Bank of Nigeria.

Mountain Man

Oct 2, 2012

Not sure of laws in your State, but the cops can go after him for Fraud. Higher dollar amounts can get up towards felony stataus IIRC>

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
It's under a grand so it's out of felony status. There is a procedure to follow and I'm confident it will work out for me. In 5 minutes I was able to confirm his identity and address. Facebook works wonders :D

And I have him on video. And all the proper paperwork to proceed.

Mountain Man

Oct 2, 2012
It's under a grand so it's out of felony status. There is a procedure to follow and I'm confident it will work out for me. In 5 minutes I was able to confirm his identity and address. Facebook works wonders :D

And I have him on video. And all the proper paperwork to proceed.

Not to dig up old threads, But did you ever nail him ?

Reactions: 1 person

Mountain Man

Oct 2, 2012
The old adage, it costs money to make money, need one of those auto check readers that hits the account quickly. Or stop checks, and only Cash Debit or Credit.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Yep, soon enough when I upgrade my computer system entirely I'll be getting a check reader. I'm sick of this chit. I can see why dealerships end up charging more and more and more and more...... To make up for chit like this.

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Jan 13, 2012
Uranus...
A new saw huh? Do you take ledger checks on a business account that was closed three years ago? :D

Hey TK..............How about a two-party, out of state, bad check? If so, send me a nice new 390XPW along with a 32" B/C. If there's any problems, just contact my friend. He's a member of the nigerian royal family you know.:D