Chain question .

Nixon

Renfrew > Boyers
Aug 5, 2013
West Sunbury Pa.
I just picked up a chain to sharpen that I’ve never run across . It’s a Stihl .404 ,full skip chisel 81 dl . The witness marks on are about 30 degrees . But the cutter top plate angle is around 10 degrees . I can’t see where the chain appears to have been sharpened before . Any ideas of what type stihl chain this is ? I’ve run across ripping chain that is done at 10 degrees . But it was semi chisel . TIA for any light you can shed on this chain .

Reactions: thomas1

Nixon

Renfrew > Boyers
Aug 5, 2013
West Sunbury Pa.
The only full skip 404 chain I can get from Stihl is square ground....which would explain that top plate angle.
Thanks . This is some pretty old stuff . the oil groove in the driver look like the chain that was made 20 ,or so years ago before they started doing the dimples . It’s Definitely round ground . I’m thinking about just grinding it to 15 degrees ,setting the rakers to about .025 seeing what the guy thinks of it .

Nixon

Renfrew > Boyers
Aug 5, 2013
West Sunbury Pa.
The only full skip 404 chain I can get from Stihl is square ground....which would explain that top plate angle.
You were right . I put the cutters under a lighted magnifying glass . On some of the gullets , you could see the straight line that would show it had been straight ground ,or filed . Weird someone would round file it to 10 degrees .