Chainsaws...Mills... I feel like times of old!

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
I've been wanting to build a wall gun holder, I'm too cheap to go buy one so I figured I'd mill some of the maple logs I've had for almost a year behind the barn. Good and dry and milled pretty easy, I think I have a air leak on the 066, gonna have to take a close look at that. It was fun to bolt the mill head back up and crack them logs open. I need more Sunday's like today!

Big Boss man telling me to pack it up!! Time to play football!

Reactions: 8 people

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Nice Frank! :cool:

That's some nice slabs of wood there - nice mill too. :)

You gonna put one firearm on each piece....??? Definitely can get pretty creative with whatcha got!

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
Fun getting into the milling isn't it ! And hey, your mill is on the wrong side of the bar !

I set mine up with the oil & fuel fillers facing up, I find it easier to refill the tanks right on the planks I'm cutting. Any particular reason you've got your power head on the low side of the log, rather than facing up ?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Fun getting into the milling isn't it ! And hey, your mill is on the wrong side of the bar !

I set mine up with the oil & fuel fillers facing up, I find it easier to refill the tanks right on the planks I'm cutting. Any particular reason you've got your power head on the low side of the log, rather than facing up ?
It's a Stihl.... :derplol:

And it's the only way the fuel filter reaches the bottom of the tank :bananaflash:

Reactions: 1 person

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana

Haha! Well the best reason I can think of is just plain laziness! It went on easier, the bar needed slide out so the Power head would fit up and I didn't feel like doing it. Easy fix was flip the PH and push from the other direction! It works either way I guess I didn't find it any harder to fuel it or run it.

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
Haha! Well the best reason I can think of is just plain laziness! It went on easier, the bar needed slide out so the Power head would fit up and I didn't feel like doing it. Easy fix was flip the PH and push from the other direction! It works either way I guess I didn't find it any harder to fuel it or run it.
Well there's an ideer I might try someday. I've been using mine with the PH up, running the throttle with the index finger of the left hand. I guess with it the other way 'round, it'd be with the right hand. Might work better too, assuming you have enough bar to prevent the powerhead from getting into the log. I'd been using 16 and 18" bars and doing 14" diameter logs. You run out of blade right quick on those ones !

EDIT -- And there might be the other advantage... getting the heat and noise from the engine on the bottom, might be less tiring to the ears your way. The 181 Husky with the extra-loud muffler I had been using was getting old to listen to after 4-5 hours a day !

Last edited:

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
Ya, I don't know if it is any better or not, wasn't even a thought process when I did it! Just knew I didn't feel like loosening up the bar clamps on the mill head and slide it out so the PH would fit up. Seemed easier to mount this way. I could foresee some problems if you had to mill close to the ground with the PH facing downward.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
Bout time you showed up Frank... Good to hear from ya!!!
I need one of those... Not sure what for...:dunno: Just need one...:rock2:

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
Bout time you showed up Frank... Good to hear from ya!!!
I need one of those... Not sure what for...:dunno: Just need one...:rock2:
Hey Matt! Ya it's been awhile since I last posted on any forum! I've been staying pretty busy at work, I think everyone is on a push to put up buildings this year before the election. The company I work for is having a break out year compared to the last several for sales. It has been a hectic year as far as work goes, I can't wait until the snow fly's! I've been working on a few things in the shop as well, though I haven't had the time to spend on some things like I would like to! That is why Milling the other day was a nice break from the daily grind! You need to buy one, it is always cool to open up a log and see what it looks like, everyone is different! :bananarock:

Reactions: 4 people

StihlKiwi

Oct 15, 2012
Land of the long white cloud
Ya, I don't know if it is any better or not, wasn't even a thought process when I did it! Just knew I didn't feel like loosening up the bar clamps on the mill head and slide it out so the PH would fit up. Seemed easier to mount this way. I could foresee some problems if you had to mill close to the ground with the PH facing downward.

Any problems with the exhaust location with the PH upside down like that? Might get the timber a bit hot on long slow cuts

Metals406

346 and 372 spikes coming soon. PM me for details.
Jan 9, 2012
NW Montana
Good to see ya posting Frank!

I was digging thru my drawer yesterday and ran into your addy, I thought, 'Wonder what ol Frank is up to?'.

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
Good to see ya posting Frank!

I was digging thru my drawer yesterday and ran into your addy, I thought, 'Wonder what ol Frank is up to?'.
Hey Nate! Just talking abotu you the other day, heard you had some roller tips for sale! I've been super busy this year, maybe busier than I can ever remember, I'm beat and I'm ready for the snow to fly. The steel erectors have been giving it to me all year so far! Good for the pocket book but bad for the mind and body! Here is some pictures of some of the projects that I've been apart of.
Here is a Fed-Ex facility in Des Moines IA:

Here is a big project we did up in Tunnel City, WI. Some of the columns on this project were 80+ feet.

Reactions: 2 people

Metals406

346 and 372 spikes coming soon. PM me for details.
Jan 9, 2012
NW Montana
Now that's some iron!! :wow:

I did have some roller stuff, but Eric has it all now. LOL