Chairitayyyy

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I've been a supporter of various charities for a while now, and was curious as to what other folks are a part of. I don't do much, can't really afford to give a lot but I try to give some. I feel better giving to a charity that I can research a little and know what their goals are and how they use their donations. It just plain feels good to help people that need it and appreciate it.

Anyway, recently a local man was involved in a motorcycle accident. This has left him paralyzed, unemployed, and unable to do much of anything for himself. He has a long road ahead of him and needs help with most things right now. His close friends are putting on a pig roast benefit this Saturday and are doing raffles and fundraisers to donate to his family to help pay for his medical bills and care. I have thrown a 455Rancher into the mix of raffles. Ticket prices are $10/ea or 3 for $25. I'm hoping to generate some funds for the guy, there are supposed to be at least 200 people showing up that have confirmed, who knows how many people will come that don't RSVP. I'm probably going to bring a couple other things with me in the truck and if folks are interested in a raffle like that then I may throw something else into the mix. Wish I could do more, he is a really nice guy.

So what do you guys do? Participate and donate time? Funds? Goods?

Reactions: 2 people

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Donating a few facecords of wood to the local church is always a good idea. I'm giving about 5-10 facecords this fall. It's not "charity" per se, but it's definitely donating and giving to the community. I'm not a churchgoer but the local churches always have connections to those who are in need of help. Providing families with heat for winter is a god send for some. Some of the things we take for granted are the things we need the most, and I'm definitely in favor of helping others out.....

Reactions: 5 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I couldn't be happier with the results after tonight.

The 455 generated a ton of raffle ticket sales to begin with. Then the winner of the 455 stood up and auctioned it off for the crowd, and the winning bid was $600. So all in all the 455 brought in well over $600 for a great cause, and will go down in history as one of the most expensive Ranchers ever sold.

We also sold a 372xp on site for cash money to which we decided before the event that all saw sales from now til the end of the month will have profits donated to this fund.

Tonight was a very heart felt night. Wish I could do this more often.

Reactions: 5 people

nwpalumberjack

Jan 13, 2012
NW Pennsylvania
Donating a few facecords of wood to the local church is always a good idea. I'm giving about 5-10 facecords this fall. It's not "charity" per se, but it's definitely donating and giving to the community. I'm not a churchgoer but the local churches always have connections to those who are in need of help. Providing families with heat for winter is a god send for some. Some of the things we take for granted are the things we need the most, and I'm definitely in favor of helping others out.....
Asked a Homeless Man what he wanted prayer for, I figured he would say a house, food or money. He said to keep warm.

Reactions: 2 people

J.Walker

Jan 17, 2012
Doing a twin lead Boxelder in a driveway area this weekend.
It's a freebee job for the sheriffs daughter.

If i'm not getting paid, I'm getting pictures!

Reactions: 3 people

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Good topic TK. I don't give as much to charity as I wish I could. I was thinking of organizing some sort of charity day where people with chainsaws, trucks, splitters, trailers would rendezvous for an afternoon of firewood work and donate it all to an organization that helps the needy. Up here in Maine, a couple cords of wood will go a long way for a family short on cash. I don't have much cash to spare, but do have time to cut some wood.

Reactions: 1 person

de_dubya

Oct 28, 2012
Mt Washington, KY
My problem is more I don't trust the charity, or I don't support all their actions. United Way for instance, where I work the company really presses people to contribute, in fact if you are in management it is nearly required. Problem is U/W supports organizations I do not such as planned parenthood. The classic come back is "You can designated where you money goes." Now if I do that, it only frees up money from others to go to the places I do not support.

Secondly, I want to know my money is going to the cause, not on administrative costs, and CEO salaries. Even the Red Cross pays the CEO an oddly high amount for a "non-profit" organization.... Red Cross pays their CEO $500K plus bonus and U/W $1.2M --> http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_charities_salaries.htm

I give to the WHAS Crusade for Children, all the money goes to the kids, no fees are paid to anyone. Not only do I give at the "roadblocks" I have walked door to door, and stood in between cars with the "boot in hand" in one of the busiest intersections in Louisville KY (Weird feeling standing there as cars whiz by on the green).

I would rather donate my time by helping someone cut wood, clean a park, build a wheelchair ramp to their house etc. Not only am I "giving" at the end of the day I can feel the soreness, and look at an accomplishment that won't get lost in a shuffle of paperwork and admin costs.

dw

Reactions: 1 person

Troy G

Jan 10, 2012
Breast Cancer, CNIB, Heart and Stroke, Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Ducks Unlimited, our church, and numerous local fund raisers.

All the tree work I do for other people ends up costing me money, does that count as well?

Dh 1984

Banned
Oct 14, 2012
Union county Tn
i always give to Shriner's every time i see one of the fellers out collecting money for the little kids. The kids every Penney that is taking in i went and visited them one time and i donated 400 bucks when i seen one in bad shape from his dad that beat him almost to death.

So i give every time i see a jar or one of the Old timers out collecting money.