Chromebook

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Kind of liking the 3G option through Verizon but the processor sure sucks:angry:

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Good post Mitch. Gotta love this time of year. :)

These things look pretty awesome. Lotta buzz out there about them - and they're priced really well.

The wife needs a new MacBook, but before I jump right into another Mac I gotta play with one of these first. :yup:

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Good post Mitch. Gotta love this time of year. :)

These things look pretty awesome. Lotta buzz out there about them - and they're priced really well.

The wife needs a new MacBook, but before I jump right into another Mac I gotta play with one of these first. :yup:
Been reading on them all morning, seems to be a lot of nay sayers. Its seems people aren't taking it for what it is, a tablet on steroids. Even if this thing flops, and I don't believe it will, it paves the way for internet wireless integration.

I see reman units on the bay for 279 shipped.....for that I will be a test mule:rock2:

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Nah these won't go away. I've been a hardcore Apple fan since 2005 and I bought my first Mac in 06. These days Apple just isn't where they used to be. Unfortunately with Steve Jobs becoming ill and passing away I think Apple is going to continue to go in the chitty direction it's heading. Especially with Tim Cook running things.

Google and Android have really come a long ways the past few years and it's practically looking like Google is going to be the next Microsoft as far as the size of the company goes. I can see the Chromebook taking off rather well actually - look at how many nay sayers there were for the release of the first iPad, every speculator thought the iPad would flop in a matter of months.

The Chromebook looks badass, I'm sure there'll be a big big following for them as people get them in their hands.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
+1 Jason

I like the size as well. My wife uses a 10" net book and loves it. We take that laptop on our vacations. The only thing that ever concerns me with the net book is the traditional disk hard drive. They are to sensitive to impact and temp. Thought for a while now why the haven't gone with the solid state drive. The speed is there now and near indestructible. Add the cloud feature and well....

I can see lost connectivity being a real hurdle with all files being hosted in the cloud though.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Well after Court's lap top crashed, I finally decided to switch her to this system.

I sure was nervous about compatibility with all of her Excell spreedsheet files but from start to finish the transition took less that twenty minutes. Google Drive (previously docs) uploaded all her files to the cloud and switched them automatic in compatibility mode. Although everything is web based, Chrome being on all my devices, I can remote operate them. If I want to work on a video edit, just hop onto the PC through chrome and work on it from anywhere.

So far I couldn't be happier.

Also with the purchase of the chrome book you get 100 gig of storage for two years free.

After thought, build quality feels like it is a $249 machine.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Have you seen the price of the Pixel....!? :eek3:
NUTS!! Crazy awesome display though.

Tell ya what, with all the compatibility apps, you can do near anything. Set mine up with remote access through chrome. Can use my I5 powered Samsung from anywhere. Use my home puter as a slave to print through the cloud so I don't have to mess with tons of devices plugged into the chrome book. Pretty slick really.

After a month or so....gonna give a review on it. What works and what doesn't.