Cleaning yer stove.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
I don't get too nitpicky with cleaning the stove out, but every now and again the lower flu area gets compacted with sawdust over the heating season.

I really need to vacuum my stove out. Never got to it this year before I fired it for the first time. I've always used a shopvac to be honest. Just get a long enough hose and have the canister out the window.

Anyone have one of those 'ash vacuums'.....??? Tractor Supply has a small one for $100 I've considered looking into but I'm wondering if an ash vac is even necessary.......

Troy G

Jan 10, 2012
I just use the shop vac and have to clean the filter several times before the job is done. I have been burning since October 3 and did not get a chance to give it a good cleaning. Hope we get a warmer day so I can get it done before the stove is running 24/7 full tilt.

motomedik

Feb 26, 2012
Dang it- I clicked into this here thread thinking you were comin' over to clean MY stoves. We have three- They all be needing some cleanin'!!:hurryup:

In all seriousness, we haven't cleaned 'em 'cause we been BURNING them, been too wet and chilly to let them not have fire in them mostly usually!!

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Shovel and ash bucket, shop vac to clean the outside and blower motor.

For the cost I can't justify those ash vacs.
Same here. I hose off my shop vac filter after it is done. If I was really concerned, or if I had a shop-vac that I wasn't actively trying to destroy, I would buy a drywall dust filter.

Reactions: 1 person