Quantcast
  • If you are having problems logging in please use the CONTACT US in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Complete production run from the 1100-2101. First part of 1973-untill 1990

NORMZILLA44

Reaction score
You know I am in love with the big husky can not lie. The 2101 is or may be the best saw I have had my hands on. With my favorite too the 660 of course. To me its almost an even split. Yeah the 2101 is a little heavier than some, but I am going to start running es light bars on all my saws. The weight is not unbearable, and not much more noticeable than my 660. But I have done much thinking and comparison, and got some good ideas from a friend here. And will call on help in the future. You take the first run of 1100's in 1973, and compare to the end 2101 in 1990 close to mine. There was minimal changes, at best. With the same bore, and stroke yet RPM different the 1100-2100 8,500 actually the 2100 is listed at 8,500 and the 1100 at 8000. The bigger change I saw was carb model. And limited or unlimited. So with minimal changes and a long run like that. I will say heck of a saw, but really could be the same, so why the thin ring piston? And what truely governs what you set the rpm on that saw, other than the governor to me. Does not make sense with bore, and stroke and cylinder the same. RPM going from 8k to what mine is 10,500.

komatsuvarna

Reaction score
I know nothing about them. Never run one, and don't know that Ive seen one. I got a 2100 coming in the mail though. I don't need another saw, but I wanted another project...so I got one :). I plan to make this one a nice ole saw, and it will stay stock......more than likely :evilgrin:.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Over time I think the difference in rpm can be attributed to technology. Manufacturing tolerances, materials usage, cylinder coatings, etc will allow for different power bands. That's my thinking anyway, no facts to base that on, just makes sense to me.

NORMZILLA44

Reaction score
I agree Jason bring that 99cc bastard back. Some guys may not want the weight, but does not bother me I will run the 2101, and 660 side by side and the 2101 does not feel bad in comparison paper says more, but to the feel it is livable. The 298 was a good runner I hear same cc they dropped some wight though. And 10,500 rpm 2101 compared to the 660 13k. The 2101 makes you smile all day. Even my buddy John who's favorite saw are 066-660 066-660 LOL! All he will run, and he now has a like for the husky. Durand run it a couple weeks side by side with the 395 in big wood, and it will show worth and gain you some love. You won't want to get rid of the 395 but you will see what I mean. I agree with all ya on the port timing, and other things mentioned. Funny thing I noticed on the entire run, the bore and stroke always remained the same, even with higher rpm's. And same for the 298.

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Reaction score
If you don't add a decomp then you probably will want to buy another starter if you try to get more compression out of it. Those are the hardest saw to pull over I believe. Feels about like a mac 125 without the decomp in. The 298 had a plastic starter and they kept breaking is what I was told.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I don't remember the saw but leeha had one at the Maine gtg that he had to have someone stand on the saw so he could pull the rope or else it would get yanked out. The thing was unreal :lol: If she had any stat counter on it I bet the starts/stops would be minimal and idle time would be through the roof!

NORMZILLA44

Reaction score
Wow, that 298 sounds fun to start Mike, the 288's I have run have bitten me a time or two. TK I wonder what saw it was sounds fun LOL! Speaking of decomp and snap back, I was cutting yesterday, and the new kid at work I had him restart the 660 for me, well try I heard the snap, and I cringed poor kid, he will learn. I then schooled him on drop starting.

Spike60

Reaction score
Good thread Norm.

Interesting family of saws, and I don't see many of them come in the shop. Only one I have is the 85cc 285CD. 52mm jug vs the 56mm of the 99cc models. It's a good runner with a real nice sound.

There are also a couple of 77cc saws with a smaller stroke that I assume are related. But truthfully, I really don't know very much about them.

A buddy of mine recently got a nice 298 that I haven't seen yet, but I'm anxious to give it a run.

NORMZILLA44

Reaction score
Thanks Spike. To some they may seem old, or outdated. But from the day I first ran it, I fell in love. A real well built line. Was a clean 298 here recntly on C-list, but same thing stopped me the cash flow. The 65-77 they say were some of the best ever built saws for sure. And you all know my love for the 288:banana:

MacLaren

Reaction score
The 77's were good runner's for sure. So was the 65. Ive ran a 77, and she was stout.

komatsuvarna

Reaction score
Here ya go Norm...

[video=youtube;3vt8jV1ByoI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3vt8jV1ByoI[/video]

I just got that saw the other day. I jerked the crank rope out of it on the first day and the first couple cranks, and just today got around to trying it out. Ill tell ya one thing, when you start pulling that rope, you better be 100% committed, if you aint it'll let ya know :yup: Its tuned pretty fat in that video...probably too fat, Ill get to mess with it some more sometime. Its got a nice piston and cylinder on it, pulled the cylinder earlier to check the bottom end out and its in nice clean shape too! Bearing are smooth and tight so thats a big +. I got a NOS case that I will be swapping this stuff into sometime. I also got a NOS fuel tank and top covers :D. If I can scrounge up a new or mint recoil cover, clutch cover, and a air filter cover, Ill have a really nice 2100 CD. I dunno what Ill do with it though :derplol:.

NORMZILLA44

Reaction score
Nice buddy, was going to rep ya but says I did earlier. Nice saw, get that carb tuned like you say, and run it a bit in big wood along side the 395. I think it will grow on you.

Spike60

Reaction score
The 77's were good runner's for sure. So was the 65. Ive ran a 77, and she was stout.

I've got an L-77 project that I'm getting ready to do soon. Probably ought to document it with a few pics since it's not as common as most saws.

MacLaren

Reaction score
I've got an L-77 project that I'm getting ready to do soon. Probably ought to document it with a few pics since it's not as common as most saws.

That would be awesome! Thnx Bob.

Out in Amish MB855 Smokin' big ol doinks

komatsuvarna

Reaction score
I haven't got to run it no more than them couple of cuts. It seems like its got plenty of torque. That chain was a chain I set the rakers with a FOP gauge and got them way too aggressive.....some my other saws wouldn't hardly turn it! That 2100 turned it fairly well, and it even had a 8 pin on it. I think she'll look good with a 7 pin, 36'' full comp square ground if I ever get her done.

Latest posts