Cuttin fellin not getting hurt while doing the aforementioned

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
So I cut a couple more maples off dads property this morning. Darn things went perfect. Ill admit we roped one down, better safe than sorry. But I just know if I post a couple pics all my errors will be pointed out.

Reactions: 1 person

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
Looks pretty good. Possibly a little high on the stump shot. You ever watch jashar92 videos on YouTube? He's super slick at falling.

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Staff member
Oct 22, 2012
Fredericksburg, Va
It looks like you were trying to use an open face, but something's missing. Is that how you usually do it?

jimdad07

Aug 27, 2013
Upstate NY, way upstate
Not too bad TK. The hinge is a touch high but not bad. When I started out dropping trees I started on red oak trees and boy did I learn quick about barber chairing when I cut a couple of hinges too high. A strait grained tree doesn't forgive when it comes to hinges. Good looking wood too! Glad everything went to plan. Also you had a nice back cut.

jimdad07

Aug 27, 2013
Upstate NY, way upstate
How much higher than the bottom of the face cut should the back cut be? And should there be any angle to it or simply parallel to the ground?

My personal preference is for trees over 12" or so to put a nice flat back cut with no larger than 1.5" to 2" hinge. The reason I like a flat back cut is more for wedging a tree over. For most trees under 12" I'll some times cheat and go farmer style, with an angled back cut.

mdavlee

Jan 10, 2012
Less than 2" is preferred for most trees. Always level on the back cut on anything bigger than 3". I also use a Humboldt face cut instead of the conventional.

jimdad07

Aug 27, 2013
Upstate NY, way upstate
Less than 2" meaning less than 2" above the bottom of the face cut, not less than 2" thick? That would make sense to me.

From the top of the back cut down to where the tree "hinges" over. If you look at your pics it'll be the triangle shaped piece that the tree swings down on. That little triangle piece will keep the tree from kicking backwards and sliding off the stump backwards. The Humbolt face cut is pretty cool, that's a cut that I believe gets used a lot for veneer trees (hope I'm right about that). Another cool one that I like to practice in the woods is a Dutchman cut, if you do it right you can make a tree fall opposite of the lean. That's one you ought to check out on YouTube, that is probably my personal favorite for tricky trees. There is a lot of good cutting techniques out there, the right way is whatever way brings the tree down safely and in the right spot. I don't do it for a living but I like cutting trees down at every opportunity. The biggest I have taken down were two cottonwood trees with 4' diameter trunks. Those were fun and scary at the same time. I left stains in my drawers when the second one didn't want to go over and the holding wood was rotten.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
So you're saying the height of the back cut should more ideally be at the red line

And the thickness of the hinge is decent...
I see the tree start to go, and by the time I react I've cut a tad further.

What happens if you're a little lower than the bottom of the face cut?

wendell

The artist formerly known as "The Madison Hammer"
Jul 10, 2012
IA
A good rule of thumb is the hinge should be 10% of the diameter of the tree.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
And if the tree don't go when you get that 10% set then it's time to use alternative methods of persuasion, be it wedges, pushing, rope, etc.....

I know better than to cut through a hinge of course.

mdavlee

Jan 10, 2012
That would be better at that height. Depending on the tree species and what you're trying to do a 1" hinge can be enough.

trx250r180

The Junk Peddler
Staff member
May 7, 2013
if you have a leaner the coos triangle ,will help prevent tree chairing up ,reg humbolt face ,then nip the 2 sides so have a triangle shape ,then do a standard back cut in line with the face cut ,don't go higher like your pics ,iv'e had those maples want to split on me before

coos cut 027.jpg

jimdad07

Aug 27, 2013
Upstate NY, way upstate
Nuts how many different ways a tree can be cut down. Don't know how the other guys feel but I wedge a lot of trees over now if they're big enough, that's how I keep from cutting too far into the hinge. Seems to add some control too. Of course I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Reactions: 2 people

mdavlee

Jan 10, 2012
On small trees make the back cut first and put a wedge in and snug it up. Put the face in then and then finish driving the wedge in.

Reactions: 2 people