Dead battery on my 2002 GMC pickup

PRJ

The battery on my 2002 GMC pickup was dead this morning such that the electric door locks wouldn't even unlock. The battery in it is less than a year old, so I connected it to a battery charger and seems to be taking a charge.

Since a dead battery has never happened on this truck before, I disconnected the B+ wire from the alternator and connected an ammeter between the B+ wire and the B+ terminal on the alternator and measured a current draw of 0.04 milliamps. I'm thinking that the current draw at the B+ post should be zero.

Do you guys think that I could have a defective alternator where the internal diodes are bad????

nitehawk55

Jan 28, 2014
SW Ontario
Always some parasitic draw on the battery , I would say yours is normal .

If the battery has gone dead after only one year I would suspect one of the cells has shorted out or your charging system isn't working .

8433jeff

Capt. Sunshine
Jul 31, 2013
Southern Minnesota
Without unhooking the negative terminal, you are still sending current to the computer clock and radio. And a year is more than enough time to draw it down.

Once you get down to around 9-10 volts I'm told the computer will start tripping relays and stuff, hastening the current draw.

Reactions: 1 person

nitehawk55

Jan 28, 2014
SW Ontario
Without unhooking the negative terminal, you are still sending current to the computer clock and radio. And a year is more than enough time to draw it down.

Once you get down to around 9-10 volts I'm told the computer will start tripping relays and stuff, hastening the current draw.
The truck didn't sit for a year , the battery was only 1 year old .