Quantcast

Enlighten me to the joys and pleasures of narrow kerf cutting

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
I've been selling a butt load of 95vp chain and just started stocking the micro light Oregon bars.

As I've never really run any Husky's with .325 chain I've never run any of this narrow kerf
chain or bars.

So has any one had enough experience with this stuff to see a benefit
over "wide kerf" cutting?

This stuff seems really common on saws like the 350's I see, does the narrower kerf
allow these saws to run 20" bars?

Being the knuckle dragging Stihl tech I am, once in a while I need help figuring out
the sophisticated workings of the Swedish Orange Menace.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I sell tons of NK chain. That's what Husky has been putting on saws for a while unless specifically ordered in the .058 variant. When I order any saw that comes with .050 it comes with NK.

All box store available saws are NK except the Rancher.

As far as the benefits go, I can't tell you. I'd honestly have to weigh the bar and chain combos to see the difference, but I'm not that picky. I haven't measured the difference in kerf width yet, been "planning" on it for months now lol. The only standard kerf bar from Husky is the RSN type, all laminate .050 .325 bars to my knowledge are NK labeled.

There, I think all that still doesn't answer your question.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
In a woods setting, would the more narrow kerf chain possibly not last as long....???

I could be totally dead wrong but just think about the weed eater trimmer string. The thicker stuff doesn't cut through 'as well' as the thinner string does, but it does last longer per tank of fuel. Maybe it's a matter of robustness and not performance....??

Logical enough theory, I guess one would have to take note of how many times they sharpen/grind/replace the thinner chain in comparison to the wider chain. Then again maybe it's alreay known which one lasts longer in which case the need to take note is unnecessary....

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
easier on files, not as much tooth to sharpen.....

If I get a chance I'll see how I sent dad's 346 home with him. If it has the NK chain on it I can do some timed differences. Can't do much for life of the cutter though, don't have a lot to cut and to blow through 2 chains would take me forever lol.

rburg

Reaction score
My 346 and 350 both came with 95vp and it seemed to work fine. The 350 currently has a 20" nk b/c combo and I like that setup on the 350 for both reach and cutting in a pile of tops where you often encounter good ole dirty wood. On the 346 I use RS or LPX ,both of which I like.

t

Latest posts