Fun with mil surps...Mosin this time

weimedog

Jan 10, 2012
While many go for hi tech big bucks...I had to change directions as all here in NYS can understand. So decided historical with a twist might be fun...a pic then the narative:

scoutmosinprog.jpg

So the narative. Love messing with old Mil-Surps ( Military Surplus) histrical firearms for a long time. Mausers and Garands are cool, my 1896 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser the coolest for me. Never was a Mosin Nagant fan because..they were really old tech. They have their roots actually from the Hiram Berdan designed rifle influenced from our civil war....the replacement was a Russian design..all this you can find online. Long story short..its roots date back to 1891. Old. With a rimmed cartridge. 7.62x54r. Longest serving non-black powder round ever in military history...more stuff you can find online. Facinating history.

I finally broke down and got one....as a curiosity and because NYS sucks. And now wonder why I didn't sooner.
They are relatively cheap $150 to $200 for a good sample...I like the 1930 era hex receiver ones...MORE research you can do online...and the AMMO is cheap. Corrosive 7.62x54r around $200 dollar for 880rnds in sealed tins. SO if you are for real and really like to shoot. Not a bad way to go.

This one is an experiment. Wanted to keep the 1930's-1940's look by using the wood stock. But also wanted a shorter and lighter gun with better than iron sight optics. So I got a War Time (1940's) era mosin (For $100bucks)..they (The 1940's era ones) are typically really rough, this one is. And built a proof of concept gun. Used cheap chinese optics..NC Star scout scope. A weaver 3/8 to piccatinny adapter to mount the scope where the cheek weld from the wood stock would work with the glass.

scoutmosinmount.jpg

An ebayed 1944 carbine stock ($25 and unnecessary btw).....and sent it to my gun smith. He cut the barrel from 28 something inches to 21. Pinned the scope mount rail adapter. Then we blended the old and new wood to keep the look and used the bands from the 44 carbine. All said and done might have $300 dollars into this gun. And its goal was to be cheap to shoot while being unique...but still useful as a farm / deer hunting /coyote hunting/ tractor riding/ pickup "Fugly gun". Did it work??

Took it out and sighted in the thing and the picture shows the results (All shots off hand or kneeling....practical what u wud do in the field). The black dots covered the holes as i sighted in the scope. The red dots were fired from the kneeling position. Two shots at 50,75,100yards as I walked back, and finally 125 yards (The three ones in the middle)

mosinprgsitein.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
Those old rifles are pretty cool. A friend has one that's in decent shape.

Reactions: 1 person

Chity_Avatar

Mows his grass in 8 minutes.
Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
I have am old Garand that I got through a shooting program several years ago. I shot the required match, filled out the paperwork and they sent me a very nice M1 with a match barrel. Pretty decent rifle but I don't shoot it very often.
I did the CMP thing for a wile. Never got a rifle though. I have a chance to pick up am M1 carbine locally.

stihl sawing

death venom dispenser
Jan 12, 2012
Arkysaw
I was gonna post a pic of my two I bought several years ago for 50 bucks each, but it won't let me post pics now.:sadtears: The hackers done got to this place too?

weimedog

Jan 10, 2012
I documented the Mosin 300 yard shooting experience with a youtube video taken by a cell phone cam....don't laugh please....just a goofy old fart having fun :bananacorn:

(But it does give an indication of what the real world capabilities are of that rig)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xESrHCmhO3o

Last edited:

Chity_Avatar

Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
Can't complain about that. Those Noisy Maggots were intended to shoot minute of man and that's exactly what you are getting. Every single one of your shots would have caused the person on the other end to not go home under their own power. I liked to shoot bowling pins at 200 yards with my SKS. Had a junk 4x scope on it and with the cheap steel cased wolf crap it would go 10 for 10 on the pins. Find yourself some surplus steel cored 7.62x54 and you will put holes through both ends of that water tank. In fact, it would go through both ends of 4 of them if they were lined up. Not bad stuff to have on hand really.

Reactions: 2 people

weimedog

Jan 10, 2012
Can't complain about that. Those Noisy Maggots were intended to shoot minute of man and that's exactly what you are getting. .
Yup...and that's without anything for stability but putting my ass on my foot (kneeling position) I think this week i will put it on the bags to see if its the 2 moa vs "mom" gun I think it is...:) I think I could beat 7inches at the 300 yards with that rig & ammo... AND I for one appeciate those who can shoot without artificial stability....therefore put my efforts it that endevor..:pirate:

Chity_Avatar

Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
Yup...and that's without anything for stability but putting my ass on my foot (kneeling position) I think this week i will put it on the bags to see if its the 2 moa vs "mom" gun I think it is...:) I think I could beat 7inches at the 300 yards with that rig & ammo... AND I for one appeciate those who can shoot without artificial stability....therefore put my efforts it that endevor..:pirate:
In that case, stop sitting on your foot and stand up. Off hand is where my respect is but I have never been able to do it over 100yds.

weimedog

Jan 10, 2012
In that case, stop sitting on your foot and stand up. Off hand is where my respect is but I have never been able to do it over 100yds.
Actually..I do. Kneeling has taken over where sitting used to be as the old belly makes sitting position uncomfortable. I respect those who work on the basics reguardless and avoid the artificial gun holding rigs that take the shooter out of the equation and make it about the gun...althought appreciate a nice firearm! Its like chainsaws. Its all good. :celebrate:

RandyMac

Stiff Member
Jan 16, 2012
41°36′26″N 122°50′31″W
Most Mosins with a good bore will put 5 in 3-4 inches at a 100 yards, some will do much better. If you want a accurate Mosin, look for anything the Finns got their hands on, they had regs that only rifles that were 2" MOA or less were issued.

Reactions: 5 people

RandyMac

Stiff Member
Jan 16, 2012
41°36′26″N 122°50′31″W
The M44 carbines are clubs, they weight about the same as the 91/30 rifle, they do have an impressive muzzle blast and fireball. There are nearly endless variations, they were in production a very long time and in use for even longer. The best all around model is the common 91/30 rifle, look for the hex receiver and of course bore condition. Ammo also varies greatly, the Russian surplus is the best, avoid the brass cased stuff, it is crap, the Czech ammo is very hot and can stick in a dirty chamber. All surplus is corrosive, some very much so, use sudsing ammonia and hot water to clean, oil afterwards like you own a petroleum company.

Reactions: 3 people

weimedog

Jan 10, 2012
Picked up that cut down Mosin after putting time on it with that Steel Cased Gander Mountain ammo from Russia....figured I would sight it in with Privi Partisan Non Corrosive Brass Cased 150 grain soft point boat tail for this hunting season. Took two shoots (aprox 100-110 yards), kneeling position again....saw where it was hitting and just cleaned the bore, put the box in the case with the gun ready to go hunting.....here a pic of those two shots from a cold bore. (Moment of Man Mosin )

huntready.jpg

Last edited: