Funny pics/vids/stories small engine repair

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Its mowing season again and among others that do small engine repair, I have some good ones to tell and show. Everything from maggots under mower decks to insanely under maintained equipment. Lets see some pics and tell some stories:bananatype:

I've posted this one before. A vid of a customers deck and spindles. I had replaced the blades and bearing the spring earlier.

[video=youtube_share;v_EhqfCoEA8]http://youtu.be/v_EhqfCoEA8[/video]

Everyone has seen the briggs air filters. Can that be cleaned he asks:derplol:

Last edited:

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
I've unintentionally became the "small engine" guy at work. Seems everything they bring me has been "maintenance free" for the last 5 years. :/

The last one I did though, was a 272xp a friend bought when he was 13. Yep, 13. Full wrap western saw from out west he found and bought on his dads eBay account. He actually paid for his first truck with firewood he cut with it. Cuts wood all year long, 25-50 cords a year and logged his dads woods to build his dads house. Every single piece of wood in the house, save for the stair railing and treated deck, came from their woods and milled on a woodmizer mill. This saw has more hours on it than most of us will put on a saw in our lifetime.

He's 24 now, so that's 11 years of serious, hard use.

Would u believe he has never pulled the spark plug. Never pulled the air filter, just blew it off. I wish I had took pics, but it was one of the filthiest saw I've ever seen. Every fin plugged, every crack Absolutley full. All he ever did was fuel mix, bar oil and kept the chain sharp.

And another kicker, the piston had apparently been scored before he bought it, and showed evidence of being sanded down, but the ring evidently had been replaced.

If that's not impressive, I dunno what is...

A new slug, gaskets, seals, fuel line and carb kit, and hopefully he's good for another 11 years.

Reactions: 3 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
A customer brings in his tractor for service.

Won't start
Needs a complete going through, all belts replaced, blades, bearings, bushings, filters... you get the idea.
Deck isn't level
Two flat tires

There are mowers/tractors galore outside waiting to be worked on.

He asks me if we have chairs or if he should wait in the truck.

Reactions: 1 person

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
A customer brings in his tractor for service.

Won't start
Needs a complete going through, all belts replaced, blades, bearings, bushings, filters... you get the idea.
Deck isn't level
Two flat tires

There are mowers/tractors galore outside waiting to be worked on.

He asks me if we have chairs or if he should wait in the truck.
Lol. I've got that one too. The work order was no where near that lengthy though. It's always the customers that say "I'm in no hurry for it" that call two days later asking if its done.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
At least a couple times per season, someone asks why I can't just straighten the crank shaft with a sledge hammer......:eek:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Cust "I brought this in to you for a tuneup and you're telling me it needs a new engine?"

Me "Tuneups are for equipment that currently run and function properly, but need their regular maintenance. This machine did not run when you brought it in."

Cust "But it ran great until it stopped."

Me "......."

Cust "So that's the problem?"

Reactions: 2 people

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Bets thing I've ever heard from any mechanic is just about repeating what the customer said to them - "Yeah they always run their best right before they die." LOL

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
At least a couple times per season, someone asks why I can't just straighten the crank shaft with a sledge hammer......:eek:
Haaaa, you laugh but it's been done many-a-time before.... lol !

I once bashed a rock with my 1970 20 hp Johnson. Insurance paid for the parts (prop, seals, oil, water pump), except the output shaft -- NLA. I brought home from work my dial gauge, vise grips, a small piece of steel plate (to hold the dial gauge), and straightened the shaft by pounding on it with my axe, with a piece of hard rubber hose slipped over the shaft. Before straightening, about .125" runout. After straightening, about .001" runout. And the bonus -- I didn't have to pay the $100 deductible because I did the work myself !!!!!

Reactions: Steve NW WI

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Haaaa, you laugh but it's been done many-a-time before.... lol !

I once bashed a rock with my 1970 20 hp Johnson. Insurance paid for the parts (prop, seals, oil, water pump), except the output shaft -- NLA. I brought home from work my dial gauge, vise grips, a small piece of steel plate (to hold the dial gauge), and straightened the shaft by pounding on it with my axe, with a piece of hard rubber hose slipped over the shaft. Before straightening, about .125" runout. After straightening, about .001" runout. And the bonus -- I didn't have to pay the $100 deductible because I did the work myself !!!!!
Oh I've done it, although not with a sledge hammer. Just not for a customer:upsidedownbanana:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
[SUB][/SUB]
MTD makes the best blades, those will go a couple more seasons:grim:
Thos are AYP/Husky blades.... :kermit:

On another note I had this frikkin tard stop in today. He only talked about wine and some website I could only imagine involved pigs and the fact he looked at them. Guy was a damn basketcase if you asked me. Had a wicked thick NY accent too. :screwy:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Funny Thing About My Snowthrower Chainsawz 18
J Posting a pic in correct orientation ie selling a car and pics are upside down ,,somesideways ?? GeekHawgz! 46
Steve NW WI New shooting spot pics Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 54
Fifelaker Interesting pics Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 3
rocketnorton new [& old] loggin thread & pics Hawgz Back 40 13
rocketnorton Bike pics Hawgz Back 40 1181
stihl023/5 Buckley old engine show pics. The Razorback Lounge 53
Steve NW WI Spring cuttin pics Hawgz Back 40 38
Majorpayne Tapatalk pics Site Info, Tech Support, & Suggestion Box 2
DefinitiveDave unhumble friday morning saw brag with pics Chainsawz 16
DefinitiveDave 660 Big Bore Plating Issue or Straight Gassed? You decide - yeah there are pics Chainsawz 15
Steve NW WI Steve's splitter pics Hawgz Back 40 16
Poncho Pics/video of Caledonia chainsaw races 8/17/2014 Chainsawz 2
rocketnorton bike pics... vintage in the valley '14 The Razorback Lounge 36
cat-face timber Post pics in PMs Site Info, Tech Support, & Suggestion Box 9
Art Vandelay August pics. Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 1
rocketnorton for those that like flyin & planes... b-25 pics... Hawgz Back 40 28
Black Dog Chainsaw This weekends CAD haul... With pics! Chainsawz 31
rocketnorton squamish days logger sports pics Hawgz Back 40 20
Art Vandelay Late July pics, the boys of summer are out!! Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 3
Art Vandelay Mid July pics. Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 9
Art Vandelay Latest pics. Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 10
Art Vandelay 5-25-14 pics Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 2
Art Vandelay Latest and Greatest Pics. Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 5
Art Vandelay Covert Illuminator pics and a few others. Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 2
Art Vandelay A few pics from over the weekend. Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 7
DefinitiveDave been busy dammmnitt, a few pretty pics or somesuch Chainsawz 10
Art Vandelay 3-16-14 pics Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 4
DiggersDad Is There An Official "You Suck" Thread? (with pics) Chainsawz 136
nhlogga Clark 667 pics Hawgz Back 40 4
G your splitter pics Hawgz Back 40 38
Art Vandelay Latest pics. Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 8
Art Vandelay Happy happy happy new year pics. Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 7
Art Vandelay Pics on the pond. Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 10
Art Vandelay Trail cam pics galore. Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 16
stihl sawing Why can't I post pics? Site Info, Tech Support, & Suggestion Box 29
Z7extreme My chainsaw dyno build with pics and vids of how I built it and how it works. Chainsawz 18
Steve NW WI Interfaith Caregivers charity cut pics GTG'z & Eventz 11
N Timber falling vids and pics. Hawgz Back 40 959
trx250r180 pics of the new 461c Chainsawz 1
trx250r180 661 pics Chainsawz 1
Cut4fun Smart Phone pics WARNING! GeekHawgz! 1
thomas1 Bucketsmeller's girlfriend pics... Chainsawz 23
stihl023/5 Sig pics? Site Info, Tech Support, & Suggestion Box 31
Adirondackstihl RPSC Derby Pics 2013 Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 10
T Some pics from logging last year Hawgz Back 40 1
J Winter Cutting Pics Hawgz Back 40 3
WoodChuck'r I think I just discovered an awesome vids and pics thread..... The Razorback Lounge 106
parrisw ARGG Can't post pics Site Info, Tech Support, & Suggestion Box 61
naked arborist Tried evrything to upload vids GeekHawgz! 3