Garden Thread

Hank Chinaski

Jan 12, 2012
AR-can-Saw
Who here puts in a garden?

I've had around 8-9 small gardens in the last 11 years and plan on giving it a go again this year. I usually try different things and have pretty much refined my "lazy gardening" method to where I work hard putting it in and then don't work a lot to keep it up untill harvest time.

I'm a supporter of heavy mulch and usually mulch with around 8-12" of good clean hay and add mulch at least once during the season (cut grass etc).

This year, I'm going to do raised beds, with intensive gardening and heavy mulch. The raised beds will be spaced to mow between then and wide enough for 2-3 tiller widths inside.

I've worked very hard over the years to amend my soil naturally and organically, and have gone from a red sandstone and clay to a much nicer darker soil. I may have to add some when I go to the raised beds, and I really don't like doing it as you don't know what you're getting.

Here's some pics from a couple years ago:

and a small batch from one picking day:

Reactions: 3 people

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Awesome thread Hank. :thumbsup:

I don't have a garden at my house but my mom has a huge one. All of us help her with it. My parents have had a garden my whole life. There's a few gardens on the property actually and it's like a frikkin' farm at times, lol. Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, apples, pears, green peppers, red peppers, corn, potatoes, pumpkins, squash, carrots, leeks, garlic, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, asparagus, brussel sprouts, cabbage, lettuce, mint, rosemary, oregano, parsley, chives, marjoram, basil, thyme, savory, lavender, sage, catnip, dill, taragon, and there's probably another two dozen things I haven't listed yet. And not to mention all the perennials she plants every year along with all of the others she has to maintain....

She and my father loved gardening and doing things outside together. Before my dad got sick that's all they did was spend time out in the yard always doing something. 2011 was tough for my parents to get outside. With my dad being sick he didn't go much farther than the bedroom and my mom was busy with him and the inside of the house whenever she was home. I think for 2012 she's gonna do a bit less in the food gardens but she can't wait to start back up again. I gotta do a garden soon myself. I might do something in 2012 here at the house but if I don't get to it, it's because I'm busy helping my mom with hers. :)

Reactions: 1 person

StumpysCustoms

Pot-Bellied Pig!
Jan 10, 2012
A GARDEN THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????????????????????????
I leave for a couple of days & come back to a suzie homemakers gardening forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chucker,,,,,,, You gonna allow this in this site?????? What's next??? THe Martha Stuart home designs thread. You gotta be kiddin me.. I feel my testicals shriveling up as I type. Britt you done went to far bringin that stuff into this place.

Just kiddin, nice lookin veggies buddy!!!!!!!!!!:banana::banana:

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
A GARDEN THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????????????????????????
I leave for a couple of days & come back to a suzie homemakers gardening forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chucker,,,,,,, You gonna allow this in this site?????? What's next??? THe Martha Stuart home designs thread. You gotta be kiddin me.. I feel my testicals shriveling up as I type. Britt you done went to far bringin that stuff into this place.
Just kiddin, nice lookin veggies buddy!!!!!!!!!!:banana::banana:

Speaking of Martha Stewart, have you had a chance to check out the Knitting and Lifetime Movie Network Forum....??

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
One channel I wish could be deleted from tv history is lifetime! Jeanie loves it I can't stand it, just like watching soap operas. Stumpy just got touchy, he figured someone may give up his hippy lettuce!:evilgrin::evilgrin:

StumpysCustoms

Pot-Bellied Pig!
Jan 10, 2012
One channel I wish could be deleted from tv history is lifetime! Jeanie loves it I can't stand it, just like watching soap operas. Stumpy just got touchy, he figured someone may give up his hippy lettuce!:evilgrin::evilgrin:
THe only thing I can grow is dinglberrys:yougo:

Reactions: 4 people

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
My wife and I may try another garden this year. Last one we had was 2 years ago. She was pregnant with our second, and I ended up working about 60-70 hours a week all that summer, so most of it went to waste. She was too sick and miserable to mess with it during the day, I was to tired and it was dark when I got home to mess with it in the evening. I ended up bushhogging most of it that fall. Probably do a real small one this year. My oldest daughter (6) likes planting stuff and messing with it a little, the youngest will be 2 in a few more months, and Id say she'll have to help too lol.

the westspartan

Jan 12, 2012
Hey Hank,

Good job in doing it organically! Looks great, and great thread.

We are doing one again this year. In fact I am adding 6 large raised beds that are built in the Hugelkulture style (Old German gardening technique where you bury wood under the raised beds). We added 12 blueberry bushes , a bed of asparagus, and 3 beds of strawberries last year. We do all organic and raised beds.

We are also in the process of building a passive-solar/ compost heated greenhouse. It's being built out of standing dead timber and scavenged sliding glass door panels.

FarmerBoy

Jan 14, 2012
one payment away from living in a box
Some of you Guys sound about like me. Me and the wife put in a garden every year then just get to busy (or lazy) to take good care of the thing. We usually just end up with some tomatoes and peppers and make some salsa I would love to can a winter's worth of veggies but just can't see that ever happening

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Can't wait to put our garden in this year. It will be entirely dedicated to crops that can be made into baby food and probably some tomato plants for the wife. We are probably going to look through the Johnny's catalog today and pick out some seeds. Last year was our first at the new house so this year we will have a better idea of what will grow well and where/when to plant them.

Oh, and TK, I knit. Srsly. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thomas1 Garden Tractorz And Tim's Other Weird Shit, Too. Hawgz Back 40 1740
DefinitiveDave The Official "YES THIS IS THE BEG FOR T-SHIRTS" thread Hawgz Back 40 7
cat-face timber CFT Stihl saws build thread Chainsawz 14
Mike from Miami The :official: metal detector thread Hawgz Garage 7
nk14zp OIL THREAD Hawgz Back 40 71
DSS The official Sawhawgz fleshlight thread OFFICIAL Hawgz Back 40 54
Sawbonz Let There Be Light Flashlight Thread Hawgz Back 40 19
Mike from Miami Wall socket discussion thread Hawgz Back 40 17
Mike from Miami The :time: thread The Razorback Lounge 332
dieselfitter Workhop Thread Hawgz Garage 151
stihl sawing The Official Girls T1 Dated Thread. The Razorback Lounge 36
Mike from Maine The Triple Poast Thread The Razorback Lounge 20
bigbadbob The Positive Thread The Razorback Lounge 64
treeslayer2003 Fallen brothers thread The Razorback Lounge 15
exSW Robertes wife deserves her own birthday thread (and then some) The Razorback Lounge 21
Sprintcar The Official Happy Thanksgiving & GFY and Your Company Thread The Razorback Lounge 7
Fifelaker The official DSS birthday and bbq thread The Razorback Lounge 50
rocketnorton new [& old] loggin thread & pics Hawgz Back 40 13
Paincow Stihl MS390 appreciation thread Chainsawz 6
DSS Sawhawgz © Counting Thread The Razorback Lounge 1016
stihl sawing The official T1's love for KFC thread. The Razorback Lounge 271
Majorpayne The Official Delicate Asshole Thread The Razorback Lounge 278
N The " It's about time McBob was banned thread" The Razorback Lounge 36
DSS The official happy birthday SS thread, for the 3744th time The Razorback Lounge 50
stihl sawing The new Happy Birthday The Wendells thread. The Razorback Lounge 30
RandyMac The McCulloch Chainsaw Thread, continued. Chainsawz 703
Eccentric The SH Homelite Thread....Mark II Chainsawz 502
DSS The all new and improved Good Morning thread The Razorback Lounge 52915
jacob j. The new WTF and gender neutral chainsaw GFY thread The Razorback Lounge 41996
exSW Husqvarna Thread Three Chainsawz 3085
Jimmy in NC Poge's complain about other people thread The Razorback Lounge 75
mikeypizano The Official Motivate The Big Giant Head to Lose Weight Thread! The Razorback Lounge 63
Genius The Thread That The Cow Can Subscribe To The Razorback Lounge 1485
Mike from Maine In this thread: We will plot the glorious and triumphant return of the GOAT to arborisistsite.com Hawgz Back 40 58
jimdad07 Barn build thread Hawgz Back 40 391
Mike from Maine The ms362c-m Thread Chainsawz 19
Fifelaker The "Happy Birthday Barneyrb" thread. The Razorback Lounge 18
mcbob The All Things Aussie Thread: Rest In Peace Mcbob Chainsawz 2310
Paincow 10 Word Thread The Razorback Lounge 80
trx250r180 The stroke Mike from Maine's ego thread Hawgz Back 40 193
Termitebuffet The Widowmaker Backwards Build thread Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 133
Genius The real official official happy birthday SS thread. The Razorback Lounge 0
thomas1 the official for real happy birthday SS thread The Razorback Lounge 28
DSS the official for real happy birthday SS thread The Razorback Lounge 72
thomas1 Satan's rigging thread Hawgz Back 40 108
mikeypizano The Official MikeyPizano isn't dead (yet) thread... The Razorback Lounge 24
nk14zp OIL THREAD!!! Chainsawz 180
cat-face timber Reverse thread question Chainsawz 25
Termitebuffet Big Red Build Thread Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 142
Paincow Official Mikey Pizano's birthday was yesterday thread The Razorback Lounge 6