Garden Tractorz And Tim's Other Weird Shit, Too.

dieselfitter

Aspiring impressionist
Oct 12, 2013
Hugo, MN
They are all pretty good. If I'm not mistaken, the most of the Case are hydraulic drive instead of hydrostatic. The difference? Hydraulic drive is a plain old hydraulic pump driving a hydraulic motor. It makes very little torque and is very touchy, hard to regulate wheel speed with changing loads. My brother had one. Everyone who operated it complained how touchy it was.
I have a friend who likes fixing up and re-powering those old well built mowers. He re-powered a Snapper with a 1.1 litre Perkins 403C-11(about 30hp) engine I gave him in trade. He even put a turbo on it, has an exhaust stack, turned up the fuel and watches it make smoke pulling a load.
Another one he put some Yamaha racing 4 wheeler engine/drive train and suspension under the mower. He geared it down, it still does 60mph in 2nd or 3rd gear. I think he working on some wheelie bars for that one. Him and his friends get together with their mowers and ride them on the roadside from one bar to another in the summer.
Some day I would like to find a nice old well built garden tractor, cheap, with all the attachments and re-power/restore it. Not likely to happen though. It is pretty low on the list.
The Onan engine parts are kinda spendy. I would look for one that has room for a bigger engine in the engine compartment. To re-power it with a little diesel is cool.

Reactions: 6 people

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
Weird Uncle Willie's basement
Personally I'd shy away from Ohnan. Our employee had one in his mower and his engine chit the bed, he is struggling to find parts.

If you go Kohler, you can find parts all day long for em

Reactions: 5 people

Jimmy in NC

Mill Monkey
Aug 27, 2013
Where tobacco is a vegtable
Personally I'd shy away from Ohnan. Our employee had one in his mower and his engine chit the bed, he is struggling to find parts.

If you go Kohler, you can find parts all day long for em
Gotta know where to look. In have a few Onans on Gravely tractors and love them. Search Gravely 8182-t on YouTube and you'll find mine.

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Staff member
Oct 22, 2012
Fredericksburg, Va
T1 local dealer has a 330 john deere diesel lawn tractor for sale with lift 3k

Pedal Tractor Logging
I was 3 hours away from a guy giving me a 455. His mower deck was shot and he was about to go get a zero turn. He couldn't find a new deck anywhere. Luckily his buddy, that he hadn't talked to in years, just happened to have the exact deck he needed and dropped it off the day I was supposed to pick the tractor up. :facepalm:

Reactions: 4 people

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
Weird Uncle Willie's basement
I pull my Ingersoll in our local lawnmower pulls. I pull in the lawn stock class.

There isn't a single mower in my class that can touch this mower.

Most of the guys I'm pulling against have hydrostatics, where the Ingersoll has a hydraulic pump.

The next time I pull I'm going to jump up a class to see how it does against tractors that are slightly modified

Reactions: 3 people

Termitebuffet

For Meals
Jun 7, 2012
Midgetville Norf Kakalacki
I was 3 hours away from a guy giving me a 455. His mower deck was shot and he was about to go get a zero turn. He couldn't find a new deck anywhere. Luckily his buddy, that he hadn't talked to in years, just happened to have the exact deck he needed and dropped it off the day I was supposed to pick the tractor up. :facepalm:
Geez you got my luck

Pedal Tractor Logging

Reactions: 2 people
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
r2d Hawgz Back 40 15
Hank Chinaski Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 66