Generators

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Staff member
Oct 22, 2012
Fredericksburg, Va
As I sit here, in the dark, I find myself wondering what type of generator I should be looking for. Propane or diesel, used is preferred. Automatic transfer switch and the ability to run the whole house.

@ckelp what should I be on the lookout for?

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
Weird Uncle Willie's basement
I can give you a number from a "salesman"

Genius's way to deal with this salesman:

When he comes to you let him give you his speel that he is on his way home from a "show" and that he cant cross state lines without getting huge tax repercussions. His equipment is highly renowned and they even sponsor a Nascar car!!! His truckload of equipment sells for dang near 50k if you were to buy it retail.

After a little bit of negotiatiation you should be able to buy his truckload of equipment for around $4k or less. This truck will include a 6500kw diesel generator, a 7500kw gas generator, a gas powered air compressor and a gas powered trash pump.

My 7500kw generator powers my whole house in the summer. Running my AC, oven and microwave.

czed

Orders his shit fire from Amazon
Aug 30, 2014
Prioritize
My 4000 watt runs the whole house except
The furnace i don't use anyway.
One element hooked up on the electric water tank
110 volt water pump
Led light's tv and infared heaters if needed
I do rotate between hot water tank and fridge
2000 sq ft
Been through dozens of outages
No big deal.

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Staff member
Oct 22, 2012
Fredericksburg, Va
Probably a 100 amps and that will put you at 25kw. I do know pay attention to fuel burn per hour when you are looking. Propane units can suck fuel bigly.

Depending on your electric heat size it could pull 80 by itself.
That’s the range I was thinking of.

500 gallon propane tank is already there for the heat. I’m thinking propane is more stable for the limited usage.

Magnumitis

Stands to poop.
Oct 30, 2013
He could do like a buddy of mine, he's got a 65hp tractor with a PTO genset. He hooks up the tractor, drives it over, hooks a plug up to his house, hooks the tractor up to a large diesel tank, and the restarts the tractor. It will run for at least a week generating 150 amps.
I've thought about this also, but it'll be hell on anything with a circuit board. Not a clean sine wave and the tractor throttle has no governor for load.