Getting closer to real lumber

Chity_Avatar

Mows his grass in 8 minutes.
Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
Last weekend was Two Idiots Logging LLC and this weekend it was One Idiot Milling INC. It kind of sucks that I brought the logs to where I work because once I am there, I seam to be fair game for everyone to come and bother with all the work related crap that I already deal with 6 days a week. At least this way the milling mess is left there and I don't have to clean it up. I only got to mill for a couple hours total between interruptions but I got one of the logs slabbed so I can start getting 2x4's out of it. I wanted to get the first top cuts done on the other two logs but the one and only 36", 3/8", .063" chain I have broke about two feet from the end of the last cut in the first log. More on that chain in a bit. I will get another couple of 1.25" slabs out of the remaining piece of the first log and use it for whatever I can. First log was the biggest in diameter at 31" and they are all 16.5' long. All I had was the cell phone so I am sorry if the pics are kind of crappy.

A pair of 660's and the world famous 440.

The milling

And then the chain broke. I have no complaints about this chain other than it broke. It is a Windsor skip chain and I am impressed how it held an edge. This wood is soft but I would guess that this chain held an edge as well as any Stihl chain I have here.

The bark on this "cottonwood" is a royal pain in the ass when it comes to milling. It catches everything. On the other hand, it does make a nice wedge.

Reactions: 5 people

DSS

Steps right, throws right. Swings both ways.
Jan 10, 2012
Canada; where men are men and Cjcocn is a midget
Very nice. I gotta get off my ass and get set up to do some milling too.

You could replace all those stihls with one good Husky and you wouldn't have to carry around three saws, plus you'd have a cool avatar too. Win win. :bananawhip:

Reactions: 6 people

Chity_Avatar

Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
Very nice. I gotta get off my ass and get set up to do some milling too.

You could replace all those stihls with one good Husky and you wouldn't have to carry around three saws, plus you'd have a cool avatar too. Win win. :bananawhip:
The 440 is going to be used to rip the lumber from the 4" slabs and I wasn't sure if I would make it that far to need it so I bought it. The extra 660 was brought as a rescue saw and I'm glad I did because the chain broke and I finished the cut with the other 660. I also wanted to see if the "mystery ported 660" would outrun the stock 660 on the mill and it did, like the stock one was tied to a stump, lol. I need to get the full wrap off the ported saw so it is a bit handier on the mill.

Reactions: 1 person
Cottonwood has it's uses .One nice thing about it is most generally it doesn't split out as it dries .Makes things like outrigger pads for bucket trucks nice .They are light .Something like oak never gets any lighter .

It could be used in place of poplar for wood work etc .It is of the poplar family .Not real good firewood although it does give off heat like any wood .

Reactions: 2 people

Chity_Avatar

Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
Cottonwood has it's uses .One nice thing about it is most generally it doesn't split out as it dries .Makes things like outrigger pads for bucket trucks nice .They are light .Something like oak never gets any lighter .

It could be used in place of poplar for wood work etc .It is of the poplar family .Not real good firewood although it does give off heat like any wood .
It's going to be used for some light framing for a shed here at the house. It will be over built to make up for the poor choice of wood for the task. I would love to do some 2x6's but the 16 foot long 4" thick slabs are all I want to deal with one my own to have to move around and be able to stand up on edge to rip the lumber out of.

Reactions: 1 person

trx250r180

The Junk Peddler
Staff member
May 7, 2013
you need some full comp ripping chain ,my boards looked like yours when i used skip chisel ,even grinding the cutters at 10 degrees ,the ripping chain costs a little more ,i bought 2 of them ,and they have lasted me a while now ,my lumber looks as smooth or smoother than a bandsaw now ,you may rig up a bottle to gravity feed to the tip of the bar too ,cuts down a lot of heat on the bar and chain ,that may be why your chain broke ,getting too hot ,also a tip i saw bobl do tip the starting end of the log higher ,and mill downhill

Reactions: 3 people

Chity_Avatar

Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
you need some full comp ripping chain ,my boards looked like yours when i used skip chisel ,even grinding the cutters at 10 degrees ,the ripping chain costs a little more ,i bought 2 of them ,and they have lasted me a while now ,my lumber looks as smooth or smoother than a bandsaw now ,you may rig up a bottle to gravity feed to the tip of the bar too ,cuts down a lot of heat on the bar and chain ,that may be why your chain broke ,getting too hot ,also a tip i saw bobl do tip the starting end of the log higher ,and mill downhill
I usually use normal Stihl RS but this skip chain is the only chain I have to fit this bar. I also usually file them to 10 degrees but this chain was brand new. First time I sharpen them I go to 20 degrees and the second time I go to 10 degrees. As far as milling down hill.....again, this is how I usually do it but I haven't finished bringing my stuff from home to where I mill now. I had the log set up down hill but not as much as I usually do.

Reactions: 4 people
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H getting my saw closer to making chips again Chainsawz 8
wendell Getting logged out Site Info, Tech Support, & Suggestion Box 25
Warped5 Anyone having issues getting to the OPE forum? Chainsawz 5
young new phones, which one you getting. note 4, moto x, moto g, z3...etc GeekHawgz! 21
M Yay for me. Getting another Jeep cherokee. Auto Talk 23
M Getting a 404 sometimes when trying to log in through a thread? Site Info, Tech Support, & Suggestion Box 0
Windthrow Snow is getting old here... and deep. The Razorback Lounge 8
T problems getting husq. parts... Chainsawz 18
Magnumitis Who's getting frozen precipitation right now? The Razorback Lounge 3503
B Notifications off, still getting them Site Info, Tech Support, & Suggestion Box 8
TK Cuttin fellin not getting hurt while doing the aforementioned Chainsawz 66
jimdad07 Getting into Orange Chainsawz 13
WoodChuck'r Finally getting some chit done around here...!! Hawgz Back 40 14
J Getting up to speed on the snow Auto Talk 5
Crane A closer look at the Remington 754 Gear Drive Chainsawz 128
P Closer to ethanol free gas.. Hawgz Garage 6
EvilRoySlade 390xp real nice condition Wanted 10
Genius The real official official happy birthday SS thread. The Razorback Lounge 0
thomas1 the official for real happy birthday SS thread The Razorback Lounge 28
DSS the official for real happy birthday SS thread The Razorback Lounge 72
cjcocn The REAL cjcocn pic thread The Razorback Lounge 222
W Husqvarna / Huztl Built working for real and my review after some time on the saw Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 5
P ECHO, ECHO, ECHO, ECHO, . . . . 'Real' differences? Chainsawz 14
R What's the real differance Chainsawz 20
Mrs. J Using a REAL computer today!!! The Razorback Lounge 8