Quantcast

Google Chrome F'd up my computer!!!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
It's the only thing I can think of that's changed since I started having problems. I downloaded the browswer and worked slick at first. Everything loaded faster and I like a lot of the features on it, but very shortly after I started using it this computer has gotten slow as hell and been having problems. Hell, I can't even load a homepage when I open Chrome now. The mouse will flick back and forth with that little "wait" or "thinking" symbol occassionally have had some other weird issues as well. The only thing I've done differently on this computer pre and post issues is install Chrome and use that...... What gives?

GetToTheChoppa

Reaction score
A few questions and some thoughts
is the problem in Chrome only, or is it affecting the entire system? Does IE work fine?
What OS? Win7 or XP?

Here are the first things that pop into my mind:
try to uninstall and reinstall chrome again, should be the easiest and quickest solution.
it's possible you already had a failing drive, and you had bad sectors on the drive. When you installed Chrome, it installed fine but now the drive is failing and Chrome is just the last thing you installed.
Right click on my computer, select manage, go to event viewer, windows logs, system. (this is on win 7, similar on XP) look at the Source tab and scroll down, if you see any events in there that said "Disk" your drive has failed and you better back up quick.
Try and run a checkdisk even if there is no error, in my computer right click on your c:\ drive and click properties. go to the tools tab, select "Check Now" and make sure that both check boxes are checked, you will be prompted for a reboot. this will run a checkdisk on your next boot, it can take HOURS depending on your drive size. This will tell you if you have bad sectors or system errors.
You could also have spyware/malware, what antivirus are you running?
Generally speaking, these are usually the things that i suspect first, before the app has any issues. The app usually installs fine, but there is likely an underlying problem causing the app to behave poorly. hope that helps, good luck!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
A few questions and some thoughts
is the problem in Chrome only, or is it affecting the entire system? Does IE work fine?
What OS? Win7 or XP?

Here are the first things that pop into my mind:
try to uninstall and reinstall chrome again, should be the easiest and quickest solution.
it's possible you already had a failing drive, and you had bad sectors on the drive. When you installed Chrome, it installed fine but now the drive is failing and Chrome is just the last thing you installed.
Right click on my computer, select manage, go to event viewer, windows logs, system. (this is on win 7, similar on XP) look at the Source tab and scroll down, if you see any events in there that said "Disk" your drive has failed and you better back up quick.
Try and run a checkdisk even if there is no error, in my computer right click on your c:\ drive and click properties. go to the tools tab, select "Check Now" and make sure that both check boxes are checked, you will be prompted for a reboot. this will run a checkdisk on your next boot, it can take HOURS depending on your drive size. This will tell you if you have bad sectors or system errors.
You could also have spyware/malware, what antivirus are you running?
Generally speaking, these are usually the things that i suspect first, before the app has any issues. The app usually installs fine, but there is likely an underlying problem causing the app to behave poorly. hope that helps, good luck!

Win7. IE works fine. The rest of the computer seems to have slowed. Chrome wouldn't even open a webpage so I uninstalled it, haven't tried reinstalling yet. I will try and work my dumbass through your tutorial and hopefully I don't screw anything up :lol: The comp is an HP, almost a year old, Win7Pro SP1, AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 64-bit OS. That's all that was listed that I can find if that helps with anything. If i have time I'll try to do your suggestions this weekend. Worst case scenario I may try to wipe everything and start with a clean slate..... Will that help or do I need to do something about sectors or disk events? Oh I have Mcafee AV and it's always updated and this that and the other thing. I have the AV and Spyware protection stuff. Not to say I can't still get that crap.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\DR7.

OK I got two of these on September 29, 2011. These are the only 2. There are thousands of other log entries though.

Lots of DistributedCOM errors.

Last edited:

mweba

Reaction score
Back up your computer asap. This is what happened when two of my hard drives went down. Also started having boot up issues so I just left it on all the time.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Anything that's critical I have backed up on my memory stick. I may lose some browser favs or little things but the criticals get backed up every night at closing time. What's the solution? Format and have another go at it or am I looking at hardware replacement? That would suck as the computer ain't that old....

mweba

Reaction score
If you are backed up, just continue to use it. Can try loading Chrome again, I would. Did you run a drive test?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Not yet I'll try this weekend. I had to get out of there, long day at the shop. Probably Sunday.