Got Kenwood TS930S today....awesome HF radio

nitehawk55

Jan 28, 2014
SW Ontario
I've had an old TS520 for some time and it works well but I couldn't pass on this one . Was owned by a Northern Telecom engineer and in going over the notes he kept on all the mods and repairs he did he really knew his stuff and the performance and condition of the radio shows it .

Hoping to get my HF ticket this coming fall/winter .

Reactions: 4 people

exSW

thinking of old guys’ balls
Oct 8, 2013
Out there
I've had an old TS520 for some time and it works well but I couldn't pass on this one . Was owned by a Northern Telecom engineer and in going over the notes he kept on all the mods and repairs he did he really knew his stuff and the performance and condition of the radio shows it .

Hoping to get my HF ticket this coming fall/winter .
Is that like a HAM here in the states?

Reactions: PRJ

nitehawk55

Jan 28, 2014
SW Ontario
I should add that this radio is probably close to 30 years old and is built like a tank . Made in Japan and weight is a good 40lb !

I was lucky to get it for $400 , a rig of this caliber today is over $10,000 :retarded2:

Reactions: 1 person

exSW

Oct 8, 2013
Out there
We had a short wave receiver in the kitchen when I was a kid.That thing took me all over the world and I never left the farm.

Reactions: 2 people

nitehawk55

Jan 28, 2014
SW Ontario
We had a short wave receiver in the kitchen when I was a kid.That thing took me all over the world and I never left the farm.
Being a SWL'er is a lot of fun . Internet has changed that but I like the challenge of pulling week signals from strange lands out of the air :D

I've got to get back into listening to code again too , was pretty good with it at one time and it will cut through static way better than voice .

Reactions: PRJ

exSW

Oct 8, 2013
Out there
Being a SWL'er is a lot of fun . Internet has changed that but I like the challenge of pulling week signals from strange lands out of the air :D

I've got to get back into listening to code again too , was pretty good with it at one time and it will cut through static way better than voice .
I remember that.At five or six I couldn't figure out what the heck it was.There's a handful of guys(and girl) here on the RR that were Tower Operators that can still do it.

Reactions: 3 people

PRJ

I hold an Extra Class Amateur Radio License. Callsign N6WRV. Haven't been on the air for several months. Need to tune up my HF antenna. Also rusty with code.

I've owned a Kenwood TS-440SAT for years. It is modified to operate on the Mars bands. I used to participate in the Army Mars program. SSB and AMTOR in HF. Some metropolitan areas have MARS VHF nets. Mars is a great way to improve one's operating skills.

Have mobile 2-m in my pickup truck.

Reactions: 1 person