Got Myself A Wheel Horse this Weekend!

the westspartan

Jan 12, 2012
So I have wanted one of these for a long time as I have heard that they are bulletproof and strong. On our small piece of wooded property we have no room to operate anything larger. Anyway I figured it would be fun and useful, and I could use it to drag logs around. I looked up the I.D. number on it and it turns out that it is a 1981 GT-2500(it has a different hood, from an early 1970s model). It has the 8 speed transmission and an 11H.P. B&S horizontal shaft motor. It starts right up and runs flawlessly. I need a couple front tires for it and the drive belt seems like it is too long or a little stretched out, if you let off the clutch to fast, the clutch idler pulley slips too far back when it engages and the clutch gets stuck engaged. Other than that it is in great functional shape and really good cosmetic and structural shape. Here are a few pictures.

Reactions: 1 person

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Sweet!! Those are AWESOME tractors. I've been wanting one for quite a while now, something bigger though - that's a nice setup dude for sure. Now go put that pig to work! :bananawhip:

Did you end up picking it up that night I talked to you.....???

the westspartan

Jan 12, 2012
We went and looked at it that night, then I got it Saturday. I wish it had the Kohler motor in it but, it seems that one would bolt right in if it ever came along, that being said the little B&S motor is strong and doesn't smoke at all. This is on the long Wheel Horse frame from what I understand so it should be pretty stout.

the westspartan

Jan 12, 2012
Is it me, or does that tractor have a distinct Massey-Ferguson look to it ? Looks good for such an old machine !
As dumb as it sounds the look of it is what got me when I was driving down the road. I love the way the old Massey-Fergusons look. This one actually has a hood from an older model on it. The correct hood has the exact same shape but with different stickers. This model is the 25th anniversary model that came with a 1 ounce bar of silver, seriously! Somehow the bar of silver didn't come with mine:banghead:

I like the older stickers this one has so I will probably just leave it alone cosmeticly. I would like to restore it, but it is going to be a work tractor not a show tractor.

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
When I was a kid the neighbor across the street had an old snowmachine, a Ski-Dadler, made by Massey Ferguson. Looked almost the same as your tractor, except twice as big, with skis and a track. We were all little, even 3 of the biggest kids couldn't pull it over.... then Big John (owner) would come over and give it a whip, the sled backed up about a foot when he pulled the cord ! We didn't call him Big John for nothing ! Then one summer I made the oops of running across his freshly poured garage cement floor...... oops .... !

Reactions: 1 person
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BloodOnTheIce Got myself a new (to me) ride today. Auto Talk 9
Nixon Just got a call from my Daughter . The Razorback Lounge 34
stihl sawing How Many Sawz Ya Got Chainsawz 204
neil Free Anouncement. I got banned for a day on Chainsaw Repair. Chainsawz 29
N Got Kenwood TS930S today....awesome HF radio GeekHawgz! 14
jughead got this lil saw for sale The Razorback Lounge 8
Modifiedmark I got ten Stihl dealers within 35 miles of my place Chainsawz 38
echoshawn Think I got ✖✖✖✖ed!!!! 610EVL.... No spark... grrr Chainsawz 29
SKEETER McCLUSKEY anybody got any bright ideas? The Razorback Lounge 46
Whitedogone Anyboby got one of these? Hawgz Garage 8
Dh 1984 Findaly got a wood splitter Hawgz Back 40 172
C whos got the best price/value on 13" or 15" guide bar and chain for my 024 stihl ??? Chainsawz 18
stihl023/5 Got a couple good gas cans today Hawgz Garage 27
G Got the splitter put back together Hawgz Back 40 2
Modifiedmark I got a confession to make. Chainsawz 44
Termitebuffet Partner .....I got ???? Chainsawz 35
young woohoo! got me some sweet looking boxes from the ups man!!!!!!!!!!!!! GeekHawgz! 40
Black Dog Chainsaw Anyone got a good source for bulk Decomp plugs? Chainsawz 13
Sprintcar Lookie what I got today. Chainsawz 15
N Newbie to Husky got 365 runnin lean problem Chainsawz 6
RandyMac I just got a boat Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 12
H got a 026 last week what do you think? Chainsawz 9
MasterMech Got a 362XP Special on the bench.... Options? Chainsawz 11
Black Dog Chainsaw got my CAD fix for the week... Chainsawz 13
rocketnorton got me a wild thing Chainsawz 5
Wigglesworth The one that got away..... Chainsawz 30
K Got any redneck log trailer/forwarder ideas? Hawgz Back 40 33
Mountain Man Spike 60, got any of these in stock ? Chainsawz 28
K I got a package in the mail today The Razorback Lounge 24
H 2 H Just about got burned .... Chainsawz 41
C anybody got a picture of how the oil system works on a poulan super 25?? Chainsawz 4
Laird Anyone got a sawmill? Hawgz Back 40 12
young whats a guy got to do to........ Site Info, Tech Support, & Suggestion Box 21
BloodOnTheIce Yup Stihl's got mowers now.... Hawgz Back 40 5
BloodOnTheIce I got me a pile of Stihls this week Chainsawz 21
young I got robbed............ Chainsawz 20
Brian13 Got room for a wanna be? New Memberz Area 11
rms61moparman I got a little tipsy and woke up here New Memberz Area 9
echoshawn Killing myself with cheap saws lately! Chainsawz 18
CBird I can't help myself!!! Chainsawz 8
cat-face timber 88 FORD 8 hole Wheel Question Auto Talk 13
Majorpayne CBN wheel For Sale 9
Termitebuffet Wheel Chock For Sale / Or medium sized boat anchor For Sale 29
N Looking for 394 fly wheel and 395 carb Wanted 2