Gun Refinishing

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
Weird Uncle Willie's basement
What do yall think a pre remmington- Marlin lever .44mag in stainless is worth?
Absolutly

I had a pre-Marlin 1894 45/70. It was built by Wild West Guns. Granted it wasn't stock by any means, but it ruined me from any modern lever gun made. I completely agree with what 10 Finger'ed ssys.

I am in the market for a 44 mag right now for Eli.

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
am i missin some thing on the 44? even in a rifle its pretty slow even by straight wall standards. load it up?

Kevin is correct. We are in a "shotgun" only zone, I believe it was last year they opened it up to straight wall cases in rifles. We have a minimum case size and a maximum case size that is allowed. (45/70 has to long of a case, so we can't use it)

I started using a 450 Bushmaster this year and I can't speak highly enough about that round.

One of my buddies from TX was up here hunting this fall and he brought a 44mag. Yes, I was less than impressed with that round at distances that were 75+ yards, at 100 yards that round had zero ass behind it.
But, I still would like a 44mag for Eli. It has very minimal felt recoil in a rifle which is important to me for a child. I have one deer stand in my woods where the only possible shots to take are under 40 yards, which the 44mag should be GTG if placed right.

I was originally planning on getting Eli a 357, but after seeing how disapointing a 44 is at 75, I believe a 357 would struggle even at the distances where I would have Eli sit. I was also worried about the felt recoil of a 44, which is why I was looking at 357's, but after him shooting a 44 he is more than capable.

shotgun

Proud Liberal
Jun 29, 2014
Kevin is correct. We are in a "shotgun" only zone, I believe it was last year they opened it up to straight wall cases in rifles. We have a minimum case size and a maximum case size that is allowed. (45/70 has to long of a case, so we can't use it)

I started using a 450 Bushmaster this year and I can't speak highly enough about that round.

One of my buddies from TX was up here hunting this fall and he brought a 44mag. Yes, I was less than impressed with that round at distances that were 75+ yards, at 100 yards that round had zero ass behind it.
But, I still would like a 44mag for Eli. It has very minimal felt recoil in a rifle which is important to me for a child. I have one deer stand in my woods where the only possible shots to take are under 40 yards, which the 44mag should be GTG if placed right.

I was originally planning on getting Eli a 357, but after seeing how disapointing a 44 is at 75, I believe a 357 would struggle even at the distances where I would have Eli sit. I was also worried about the felt recoil of a 44, which is why I was looking at 357's, but after him shooting a 44 he is more than capable.
So you like the 450? I have always wondered about it, I went with the Beowulf- recoil is pretty stout have not decided if I like it yet. I worked up a load for my friend's 44 marlin with 225ftx- measured 1750ish at the muzzle, calculated over 850lbs/ft @100yds. Damn accurate, I would think that would put a hurting on little deers

shotgun

Proud Liberal
Jun 29, 2014
Better anyway. I'm close to getting the 21 together, lacking sights. And after our conversation yesterday, I started looking and 10mm uppers that'll fit right on the 21 frame. Just need a few mags then.
I got about 200 ebay bucks to use up before Feb 1st, was thinking about getting a can of duracoat for some raw 80%er's. Think I can get by with some purple scotchbrite pads and brake clean?

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
So you like the 450? I have always wondered about it, I went with the Beowulf- recoil is pretty stout have not decided if I like it yet. I worked up a load for my friend's 44 marlin with 225ftx- measured 1750ish at the muzzle, calculated over 850lbs/ft @100yds. Damn accurate, I would think that would put a hurting on little deers

Yea, I love the 450. Deer don't move. I've never had deer drop like they do with the 450.

The 458 is out here because it's necked

Fifelaker

I can almost see Genius' mushroom cloud from here.
Jul 31, 2013
Fife lake,Mi
Don't sell a 357 short. I took a deer years ago with one that was about 75 yards out. It was quarting away, I missed by a few inches. 158 gr. Swc entered the left cheek, blew that joint to pieces, came out re-entered, raised hell with the guts, broke the right front shoulder and was stuck under the skin. That deer ran 125 yards or so on two legs before it died.