Quantcast

Hedge trimmers

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I don't have any hedges at the moment but will probably soon. Not that it will be a big deal for me, the amount I'd use a hedge trimmer would be minimal and would go for the manual type or electric over gas powered. But here's my question about electric/gas trimmers - how do you go about sharpening them? Is there a special easy way to do it? I recently separated the blades on one, and hand filed all three sides of each cutter on a 30" setup. It took a ridiculous amount of time, wasn't easy, and left me with a feeling of carpal tunnel syndrome. Is there a special tool or jog for it? How can a local guy charge $22 to do it?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I don't think I have a surface grinder....

I tried a stone in a die grinder, only did one cutter as the results were less than acceptable.

stihlbro

Reaction score
I think some of the chain sharpeners have attachments to sharpen hedge trimmers. I have used the chain saw file method, but the last time I used a stone in the Dremel. Just follow the factory contours.........much easier. I guess you could use a 4inch grinder as long as you don't get the blade hot.

I bet youtube has some videos, thanks TK, no I have something to do!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
It wasn't precise or quality looking when I tried anything but the hand file. A lot of material has to be removed (people cut twigs and woody growth with these things, not just trimming the thin stuff LOL). You see how far bar the curvature of the damage is from cutting the woody growth when you get started. Removing that much without a guide or a stop while maintaining all angles would be very tricky. I'm open to it, there has to be a faster way.

stihlbro

Reaction score
J-Thomas.com, I know use to have a adapter for hedge trimmer blades, the site is new and I can't find it. I dug around for one of their old catalogs but could not find it. I even googled it.......I'll look more later.

I see what you are saying on resharpening damaged blades. Time wise it maybe be cheaper to renew the blades.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I've got to check in with the local guy that specifically does sharpening and see how he does it for $22 - is it worth it? Does he do a decent job? We'll see. Depends on the trimmer as to whether the blades should be sharpened or replaced, I know the trimmer I sharpened whacked blades at $65/ea, so it was $130 just for the blades. There's gotta be a trick like a reel mower, those are a snap to sharpen IMO. However, the guy that sharpens hedge trimmers for $22 charges $40 for a reel mower. Reel mowers take at most 10-20 minutes to sharpen. If it takes longer then the reel is junk.

stihlbro

Reaction score
Thru my research on the net, some sharpen places charge $20 per foot for hedge trimmers, of course there is shipping and disassemble and re assemble.

I did find the stihl usg grinder shows a attachment for hedge trimmers.http://http://m.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/instructionmanuals/USG_Manual.pdf

I watched a few videos on YouTube that used angle grinders with sanding disc, 4 inch grinder, files, and some were done on the trimmer and off.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Now that is an interesting tool! I looked up the USG in mediacat and it shows a hedgetrimmer, circular saw, and scratcher chain. I saw also something about square.....

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some more info on the USG, I'm in the market for a new grinder this year for my regular round chain anyway.....

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
Have you tried a flap disk wheel?

That's what we use to sharpen mower blades on a 4" angle grinder works as quick
as the bench mount blade grinders but doesn't blue the hell out of the blade.

I get them for about 5$ at the local auto parts.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Haven't tried that. Fairly new to dealing with hedge trimmers on the sharpening end of things. How precise and straight do these things have to be? I mean they look precise and straight when new, I'd imagine with two blades shearing theyd have to be pretty precise.

Latest posts