Hello from the rocky mtns

shotgun

Proud Liberal
Jun 29, 2014
Motorcycle mechanic here, getting into Stihl saws. Love them! Got a MS 390 in 2010- replaced my tired Johnsored 2065. Wish I knew then what I have figured out now. I would have paid the extra $ and got the MS 360 instead.
The 390 has served well, and has just been freshly updated with rings and muffler mods and a new 20" ES bar and a carb kit. Meanwhile I went crazy on ebay and have bought: MS 200T(truck saw), MS 460 , MS 192T(it was cheap), MS 360 and a MS 260pro (hers). The 460 is all done with lots of help from the experience of people on the internet- it was a lot of fun. The 200 got a new piston and carb kit along with a bunch of cosmetics (you know what they look like when they come from those crazy tree climbers) and a new 16" bar and 63PS 55 chain it is such a cool and mighty little saw.
Have not touched the 260 or 360 yet, hoping to get some tips from guys on this site that may have some experience with them. The 260 looks like a brand new saw, and I am sure it will be fine for my wife as is- but I still want to improve it. Thats just the gearhead in me. The one I am looking really forward to tearing into is the 360. I am getting a list together for the cosmetic and maintenance stuff it needs for sure. Any help with what I might need to make it really scream is appreciated.
Looking forward to meeting some cool people on here !

shotgun

Proud Liberal
Jun 29, 2014
Yea, I was not too versed in Stihl when I got it. The guy at the dealer could have easily sold me a 360 if he would have just talked to me about it. Still ticks me off. I will say, it has been a great saw, super reliable and it cuts med sized pine trees just fine.;) It did not really need the rings, but since I was taking it apart for a detailed cleaning- what the heck. As soon as I get the 360 up and running I doubt I will ever use the 390 again. I will either sell it or store it up at the B.O. property. :cheers:

Reactions: Majorpayne

griffonks

Dec 28, 2013
Yea, I was not too versed in Stihl when I got it. The guy at the dealer could have easily sold me a 360 if he would have just talked to me about it. Still ticks me off. I will say, it has been a great saw, super reliable and it cuts med sized pine trees just fine.;) It did not really need the rings, but since I was taking it apart for a detailed cleaning- what the heck. As soon as I get the 360 up and running I doubt I will ever use the 390 again. I will either sell it or store it up at the B.O. property. :cheers:
How goes it? I'm wondering what part of the Rockies you are from, I'm in Bouder, Colorado. We have a couple members in Wy, and a new one in NM. Nobody that I know of in Montana.

Reactions: Termitebuffet

shotgun

Proud Liberal
Jun 29, 2014
I used to live in beautiful CO, seemed like they wanted to take away the guns before they legalized the weed. I am way to Republican for that state. So I fled to the free state of Wyoming where you can have loud pipes on your bike, carry your favorite 1911 wherever you go, ride your dirtbike wherever you want and they don't collect that ever increasing state income tax from you. Plus Law enforcement up here knows what the constitution is, and strictly adheres to it (example- they don't illegally detain thousands of people for hours and search them and their vehicles at rifle point). No 75.00 emissions test(diesel) so you can get your 400.00 plates(10yr old truck).
But back to this forum- there are just as many trees to cut up here and no one is hugging them. I really can not understand why this is the least populated state(but I am glad it is).

griffonks

Dec 28, 2013
I understand what you are saying. I am here because I have commitments, a business, elderly and sick parents.

But I'm also fighting for Colorado. Worked on one of the successful recalls, volunteering on Beauprez campaign.

I am the only registered Republican that I know of in my district, but if I leave who's gonna hang the signs and offer a different viewpoint?

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it here at Sawhawgz.

shotgun

Proud Liberal
Jun 29, 2014
Thanks very much, and keep the fight up ! Uprooting my life was tough I left behind all my family, friends and my business. Hope you don't ever have to go through that. The decision came much easier for me, as the business was failing(people would rather buy pot than fix their bikes-and employees would rather smoke pot than have a job), but when my neighbor was shot and killed along with his dog,cause the police thought a bad guy ran into his house and a block over another innocent home owner had his dog shot and killed by police because they kicked in the wrong door looking for a suspect. I knew my days or at least my dog's days were numbered, It was also very un-nerving to pull up to every intersection on my bike and smell and see the pot smoke pouring from half the cars around me, while the ever increasing number of drivers smoked weed and checked their facebook- I felt like a sitting duck everytime I rode my bike.
Thanks again for the welcome.

shotgun

Proud Liberal
Jun 29, 2014
Sounds like a classic case of CAD. Start with a farmboss, realize your mistake, buy a bunch of white handles. When you realize your latest mistakes you'll be buying a bunch of orange saws. From there it will progress into one of two distinct paths: vintage or latest/greatest. Your choice.

Funny you mention that I did find myself eyeing an 056 the other day :jesterlaugh:

shotgun

Proud Liberal
Jun 29, 2014
Probably ended up in the dumpster or my neighbors scrap pile. It needed a P/C, carb, brake band, drum, lines,
wires, air filter housing, starter and a bunch of little stuff. finally found someone at some tractor place that could even access parts to get pricing and the bill was over 500 and he wasn't even sure he could still get it all and that was 4yrs ago. so I threw in the towel. Got the 1127 it always started(still on the original rope) and always cut wood. When the 2065 ran(went through about 20 ropes in ten years) it was pretty torquey , but even when it was at its best there is no comparison to my MS 460(that is what made me a Stihl fan). I do miss the 2065, Dad picked it up at a garage sale for 200 bucks- he always finds the coolest stuff.

jon1212

Purveyor of Sarcasm and Tasty Doughnuts
Sep 16, 2012
Spanish Fork, UT
I really try not to think about that:cry2:
Those tears look familiar. Have you ever spent any time in Ohio?

Welcome to the site. I hope it doesn't bother you that one of the moderators here is a total prick.

I've got an MS 390 from right at the changeover from the 039. I too bought it out of ignorance brand new, and I agree about it being dependable, and a good firewood cutter. Mine has been compensated for it's obesity with a trip to 140 Cuddle Lane (Mastermind's) for a woods port, and muffler mod.

wendell

The artist formerly known as "The Madison Hammer"
Jul 10, 2012
IA
Motorcycle mechanic here, getting into Stihl saws. Love them! Got a MS 390 in 2010- replaced my tired Johnsored 2065. Wish I knew then what I have figured out now. I would have paid the extra $ and got the MS 360 instead.
The 390 has served well, and has just been freshly updated with rings and muffler mods and a new 20" ES bar and a carb kit. Meanwhile I went crazy on ebay and have bought: MS 200T(truck saw), MS 460 , MS 192T(it was cheap), MS 360 and a MS 260pro (hers). The 460 is all done with lots of help from the experience of people on the internet- it was a lot of fun. The 200 got a new piston and carb kit along with a bunch of cosmetics (you know what they look like when they come from those crazy tree climbers) and a new 16" bar and 63PS 55 chain it is such a cool and mighty little saw.
Have not touched the 260 or 360 yet, hoping to get some tips from guys on this site that may have some experience with them. The 260 looks like a brand new saw, and I am sure it will be fine for my wife as is- but I still want to improve it. Thats just the gearhead in me. The one I am looking really forward to tearing into is the 360. I am getting a list together for the cosmetic and maintenance stuff it needs for sure. Any help with what I might need to make it really scream is appreciated.
Looking forward to meeting some cool people on here !
I used to live in beautiful CO, seemed like they wanted to take away the guns before they legalized the weed. I am way to Republican for that state. So I fled to the free state of Wyoming where you can have loud pipes on your bike, carry your favorite 1911 wherever you go, ride your dirtbike wherever you want and they don't collect that ever increasing state income tax from you. Plus Law enforcement up here knows what the constitution is, and strictly adheres to it (example- they don't illegally detain thousands of people for hours and search them and their vehicles at rifle point). No 75.00 emissions test(diesel) so you can get your 400.00 plates(10yr old truck).
But back to this forum- there are just as many trees to cut up here and no one is hugging them. I really can not understand why this is the least populated state(but I am glad it is).
Thanks very much, and keep the fight up ! Uprooting my life was tough I left behind all my family, friends and my business. Hope you don't ever have to go through that. The decision came much easier for me, as the business was failing(people would rather buy pot than fix their bikes-and employees would rather smoke pot than have a job), but when my neighbor was shot and killed along with his dog,cause the police thought a bad guy ran into his house and a block over another innocent home owner had his dog shot and killed by police because they kicked in the wrong door looking for a suspect. I knew my days or at least my dog's days were numbered, It was also very un-nerving to pull up to every intersection on my bike and smell and see the pot smoke pouring from half the cars around me, while the ever increasing number of drivers smoked weed and checked their facebook- I felt like a sitting duck everytime I rode my bike.
Thanks again for the welcome.
Probably ended up in the dumpster or my neighbors scrap pile. It needed a P/C, carb, brake band, drum, lines,
wires, air filter housing, starter and a bunch of little stuff. finally found someone at some tractor place that could even access parts to get pricing and the bill was over 500 and he wasn't even sure he could still get it all and that was 4yrs ago. so I threw in the towel. Got the 1127 it always started(still on the original rope) and always cut wood. When the 2065 ran(went through about 20 ropes in ten years) it was pretty torquey , but even when it was at its best there is no comparison to my MS 460(that is what made me a Stihl fan). I do miss the 2065, Dad picked it up at a garage sale for 200 bucks- he always finds the coolest stuff.
Sweet Jesus, Aaron's cousin has joined the forum!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bigbadbob New Memberz Area 8
H New Memberz Area 19
wiscosully New Memberz Area 19
Bigfun27 Chainsawz 6
Hoggwood New Memberz Area 13