Home audio/theater stuff

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Staff member
Oct 22, 2012
Fredericksburg, Va
You have my interest, carry on.
fucknut
Living room will have the main TV. It's wide open, though, so no place to put the rear surround speakers. Probably go with in ceiling for those. Kitchen, master bedroom, outside for additional zones.

No high speed, wired internet in my area. I'm stuck using a Verizon hotspot, so no streaming services.

Hopefully get a media server set up, too.

Will you sit on the sofa watching fishing shows with your new reel in hand?
Yes.

Is much easier to wire up before the sheetrock goes in .
I ran speaker wire for what I couldn't get to from the attic/trusses. Still have to do the stuff in those areas.

rocketnorton

Raisin Hater
Sep 29, 2013
surrey bc can
a good honest salesman in 70s said get speakers ya like, then get what ya need to drive em the way ya want to hear em.
lotta ppl were preoccupied w/power, then gettin speakers to handle some or all of it...
speakers first has always worked for me since. still got in the house a set of 70s sansui 3 way, 5 speakers & horn in box, bout 30-40lb apiece.
bose n technics in chop, 100w 5.1 power. spend more time out there.

8433jeff

Capt. Sunshine
Jul 31, 2013
Southern Minnesota
Living room will have the main TV. It's wide open, though, so no place to put the rear surround speakers. Probably go with in ceiling for those. Kitchen, master bedroom, outside for additional zones.

No high speed, wired internet in my area. I'm stuck using a Verizon hotspot, so no streaming services.

Hopefully get a media server set up, too.

Yes.

I ran speaker wire for what I couldn't get to from the attic/trusses. Still have to do the stuff in those areas.
KFC corporate OK with these changes?

Hoggwood

Jun 20, 2014
Okanagan , BC
My dad was into hi-fi in the 70's. I grew up on a large collection of vinyl and reel-to-reel. I've inherited the bug. Older integrated 2-channel amps (NAD, Rotel....entry level for the serious) can often be picked up super cheap. They are built like old saws. Heavy, warm, rich sounding and organic. Awesome. Spend as much on speakers as you can afford. Provided your ears aren't shot. PSB and B&W make some killer new set-ups for home theatre. Compact and mild to large and wild. I've always run Rotel amps. Their chassis are bulletproof. Rotel and B&W make a nice fit. Gotta save up the bux if you want high end home theatre. But, you (usually) get what you pay for. My $0.02.

Hoggwood

Jun 20, 2014
Okanagan , BC
Rotel is still top drawer for entry-level. Their modern designs still retain the minimalistic approach they were famous for. Less, better is superior to more, worse. I have two amps from the 80's that still kill it on some Mordaunt Shorts. Thousands of hours. I also run a 2nd generation 5.1 (2010 ish) x 75W channel. Those are some clean, stable watts.

I always dealt with the folks at the Hi-Fi Centre. Downtown on Seymour (still?) Only place where you could sit and listen to a 2-channel system worth $50k and they wouldn't bat an eye. Kind of like getting a free afternoon in a super car even though you could never afford to own one. They used to sell really nice used stuff too. Picked up an old school Nakamichi zx-7 deck years ago. Almost the holy grail of affordable decks.

DefinitiveDave

I do want to see skinny guys in speedos
Oct 24, 2013
Still building my living room theater/listening rig, mains are a pair of doubled Dahlquists with Dahlly Subs, three Rotel Monoblock conversions, Rotel modern era preamp processor, Nakmichi dragon cassette deck.
A few more decent amps and speakers for other rooms, still looking for a center channel and in ceiling directional surrounds, Klipsch has some nice offerings, but I am so lazy...
Dave

stihl sawing

death venom dispenser
Jan 12, 2012
Arkysaw
Yamaha RX-A3070 should be in today. :thumbsup:
You gonna get a couple Klipsch corner horns? I knew a guy that had a set, good gawd they sounded good. I had walnut advents. My receiver was a kenwood and I don't remember the model. it was a quad unit. I still have all of it except the speakers. pioneer reel to reel, cassette and turntable, even an 8 track player.