Hours on a pro saw?

ELECT6845

Jan 21, 2012
A friend claims that 200 hours is about all they get. So correct me if im wrong but if a saw is ran lets say 6 hours a day with lunch break and other down time then thats 30 hours a week. 4 weeks in a month so thats 120 hours a month so every 2-3 months they buy new saws depending on actual run time. I called BS, they should be getting 10 times that or more. I thought i read somewhere that 4000 hours was common. Please correct me if im wrong. OOO and check my math i never claimed to be smart. Lol

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I've got a couple of guys with ridiculous hours on their 372's..... but I see them for cleaning and maintenance fairly regularly as they get used hard. I've seen 2 or 3 other companies that can't seem to keep a saw on the truck long enough to get dirty. Guys can't seem to figure out how to get an air filter back on properly or make sure the gas has oil in it.....

Maintenance ;) Definitely more than 200 hours though.

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
Ive seen it mentioned before by a few people that 2000 hours is about the max. I actually would have guessed a little lower than that my self....but Im starting to think thats close for a stock saw. Im sure 2000 hours is with some good upkeep.....that a lot of people don't do.

TLandrum

Jan 11, 2012
east tn
i'd say in a years time i put around a 1000 hrs on my falling saw. that is about a 4 hrs a day average. really it is more like 8 -10 hrs a day but not getting to work due to waether at times will lower the total hrs. at the end of the year i usually go through the saw replace fuel lines filters and new rings.

Reactions: 1 person

Spike60

Jan 12, 2012
I've got a couple of guys with ridiculous hours on their 372's..... but I see them for cleaning and maintenance fairly regularly as they get used hard. I've seen 2 or 3 other companies that can't seem to keep a saw on the truck long enough to get dirty. Guys can't seem to figure out how to get an air filter back on properly or make sure the gas has oil in it.....

Maintenance ;) Definitely more than 200 hours though.
I've got some guys that never even look at the air filter. They're so packed with sawdust that you'd think they troweled it in.

Preventative maintenance is pretty rare with most guys. Most will run the saws until they have an issue, then bring it in. Hopefully, before any serious damage occurs. A lot of the tree service saws come in after some gravity induced trama. It's really amazing how much abuse a saw will take and keep running.

But guys that take care of their saws generally get 2-4 years out of them. Sometimes more. These are guys that I say have "good ears". They can hear when the saw is running different, and they bring it in to have it checked. They clean their air filters, pay attention to their fuel cans.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I've got some guys that never even look at the air filter. They're so packed with sawdust that you'd think they troweled it in.

Preventative maintenance is pretty rare with most guys. Most will run the saws until they have an issue, then bring it in. Hopefully, before any serious damage occurs. A lot of the tree service saws come in after some gravity induced trama. It's really amazing how much abuse a saw will take and keep running.

But guys that take care of their saws generally get 2-4 years out of them. Sometimes more. These are guys that I say have "good ears". They can hear when the saw is running different, and they bring it in to have it checked. They clean their air filters, pay attention to their fuel cans.
Ya you gotta love it when you drain the fuel tank and find leaves, dirt, even twigs in there :lol:

Then there's the saw that only needed the air filter cleaned to make it run.

Never a dull moment with most of them that's for sure.

Another guy has maybe 4 saws, runs 4-6 different bars amongst them, and has a box of 30-40 chains. Some are .058, some are .050, some safety, some not, and he asks me why I always replace that little wheel thingy and charge him for it when he comes in. I showed him one I took off and put it next to a brand new one. He never asked again.

I'd like to spend a day in your shop, you must see far more stuff than I do here. I've got a feeling one of these days im going to drive to ny and never return home lol

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
I know a stud faller out west that runs mostly modded 660's ..
He says he can wear out a 660 in a year. so figure roughly 30 Hrs a week run time X 50 weeks around 1500 hrs for him and the saw needs attention, Usually piston bearing etc... assuming it dosnt get smashed before then.
Good call, got a real good buddy, now in Oregon timber faller and they are moving put a lot on the ground. In some big wood too, and he is hard on saws. Ports em and does some work on his own saws. 66o's siad he gets 6 months to a year. Said about 6 months some are losing power, and rattling pretty good. But want to say some get a year, and never met anybody harder on saws, so that's pretty good. Also remebered he was going 6-7 days a week.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Honda GX390, 12HP electric start, low hours For Sale 2
Wigglesworth It's been 28 hours since I slept... Chainsawz 20
P Poulan 5020 PRO Chainsawz 1
D Are Poulan Pro Chainsaws A Good Brand To Buy? Chainsawz 26
SKEETER McCLUSKEY Stihl MS260 Pro For Sale 3
sawjunky23 Poulan Pro Project saw. Wanted 2
mcbob McCulloch Super Pro 125G with a bowbar Chainsawz 5
Adirondackstihl 036 PRO For Sale 18
P Poulan Pro PP5020AV $128.99 Chainsawz 2
man of stihl poulan pro 405 with a 70cc 455 top end For Sale 4
mortalitool Stihl 036 Pro Oil-pump hose Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 13
DefinitiveDave Pro Tip on case splitting Chainsawz 27
cbfarmall Looking for a smoked Poulan Pro 330/380 Wanted 16
P Poulan Pro on Sale at NT Chainsawz 56
Hoggwood Pro mac 850 Handle Bar Wanted 0
Chity_Avatar Poulan Pro 365 For Sale 1
Hinerman Stihl 260 pro ignition problems Chainsawz 16
B My Holy Grail Saw- Poulan Pro 655BP Finally! Chainsawz 5
Mac 6-10 Makita / Dolmar 6400-7900 Pro Safety Spikes Chainsawz 9
C who knows where I can find a 3/8 lo pro rim for a 024 AV Chainsawz 5
TK WANTED/NEEDED mcculloch super pro 10-10s oil cap Wanted 7
Chity_Avatar Thinking of trading off the Super Pro 125 For Sale 21
S Tebo Wanted to Buy: Stihl 028AV Super & 036 Pro Muffler Front Caps/Covers Wanted 5
Jordan3605 McCulloch Super Pro 40 For Sale 0
komatsuvarna Stihl 360 pro For Sale 1
Eccentric Poulan Pro 295 or 4620AVHD 'Conventional' Clutch Cover Assembly and 2-Piece Muffler. Wanted 18
Chity_Avatar New to me Super Pro 125 Chainsawz 43
I 036 036 Pro Chainsawz 4
SKEETER McCLUSKEY SOLD - MS260 pro - SOLD For Sale 1
Blazin Laser super pro bars Chainsawz 7
Troy G SOLD - Silvey Pro Sharp For Sale - SOLD For Sale 3
Wigglesworth Pro equipment maintenance Chainsawz 24
WoodChuck'r iPad Pro GeekHawgz! 1
jacob j. McCulloch Titan 70 or Pro Mac 72 Wanted 6
mweba Poulan Pro 505 For Sale 10
WoodChuck'r Is the MS280 a pro saw....?? Chainsawz 15
Wigglesworth Stihl MS260 Pro For Sale For Sale 0
cat-face timber Loaner saw Chainsawz 21
cat-face timber Husky 350 Project Saw Wanted 11
trx250r180 Three Saw Plan Chainsawz 78
maulhead Blue Makita Crankcase, For A 6400 - 7900 Type Saw Wanted 0
cat-face timber Tuning A Saw Chainsawz 10
Mike from Maine :update: On The Only Jms Saw Known To Be Still Running Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 164
cat-face timber Cft Saw Repair Chainsawz 62
M Ht 75 Stihl Pole Saw. Runs And I Deal No Power Chainsawz 6
stihl sawing Are you a saw worshipper Chainsawz 17
cat-face timber Saw build question Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 10
dieselfitter Saw comparison videos Chainsawz 7
N The latest thing in saw performance , saw owners going wild !! Chainsawz 21
cat-face timber How to start a saw Chainsawz 43