Quantcast

How about a bike?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I'd love to have another motorcycle. I've had two. They were both old Junkers not worth anything really. First generationish jap sport bikes.

Not anymore, no longer my taste. I'm thinking this

Even when I wasn't a fan of this style of bike, the vrod always caught my eye. So nothing soon, as we're more focused on buying a house, but after we get that under our belts and we're comfortable with that, I'd really like to look at getting a bike.

Anyone know what's up with different types of suspension? I want something comfy to ride, if I hit a bump I don't want to worry about how the ol junk is gonna take the hit.

And I'm either interested in a Harley or a victory, not much else. There was another Harley, a 103cube model, sporty type but capable of a rear seat for the missus. Can't remember the model. They have so many different models that look alike, what the heck are the differences and how do I tell?

Mrs. J

Reaction score
That's odd. I was just thinking today about how nice it would be to have our bike back. Shhh don't tell Jer. We had a Honda shadow 1100. Fun times before kiddos :)

jrepairsk70e

any name [cept shithead]
Reaction score
from what I can remember ............hmmm....the ones with the big knobs on the tires ,go alot better ,...in the mud ....so no knobs = no fun .... ok thats all I kno about that !!!:thumbsup::dance:

de_dubya

Reaction score
I'm no expert but have lots of Harley friends :)

There are basically only five styles (families) of Harleys. Sportster, Glydes (think it is spelled w/ a "y") Road Kings, Softails, and the V-rod. Haven't heard much on the V-rod as the folks I know are old-school dedicated... a true motorcylt is air-cooled only type thinkers, and hardly consider the V-rod.

Of the others Softails ride the best, and have the least vibration (and they have solid motor mounts) the engine on them is internally ballanced, where other (except the V-rod) engines are not but are rubber mounted, and will shake your fillings out.

The V-rod was a joint venture w/ Porshe and it is apparently a screamer, it should rife fairly well as well as the marklet is the mainstream cruisers

dw

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I'm no expert but have lots of Harley friends :)

There are basically only five styles (families) of Harleys. Sportster, Glydes (think it is spelled w/ a "y") Road Kings, Softails, and the V-rod. Haven't heard much on the V-rod as the folks I know are old-school dedicated... a true motorcylt is air-cooled only type thinkers, and hardly consider the V-rod.

Of the others Softails ride the best, and have the least vibration (and they have solid motor mounts) the engine on them is internally ballanced, where other (except the V-rod) engines are not but are rubber mounted, and will shake your fillings out.

The V-rod was a joint venture w/ Porshe and it is apparently a screamer, it should rife fairly well as well as the marklet is the mainstream cruisers

dw

Thanks for the info. I was particularly drawn to the VRod as I love the way it looks. Mean and modern yet it's still a Harley cruiser. Not gonna lie, I like the idea of a higher revving engine, it makes its power at nearly twice the revs as the standard Harleys - and the Porsche venture is pretty cool. What type of suspension does the VRod have? I can't seem to tell. Probably some sort of sportster or softtail? I would imagine the glydes and road king types are really plush touring types.

As far as the air vs. liquid matter - I understand the liquid adds a chunk of weight to the bike vs. air cooled, but is it better for slower riding and idling? Hoping maybe it would stay cooler on the legs in the case of stopped up traffic or something.

I have no objections to something more old school oriented but the vrod just catches me and the price is decent. I'd like to stay in the sub 17k range (I figure a MSRP of $15k-ish plus whatever taxes, accessories, gear etc).

de_dubya

Reaction score
The glydes, sportster and vR0d are all similar in design for suspension swing arm w/ dual shocks as you see on the pic, one per side. The softail has a swingarm I guess, but it is well hidden, at first glance it looks morelike an old hardtail (rigid) frame bike. The shock is hidden, and the rear frame section pivots differently... Notice the arc behind the engine and that the rear frame section meets the arc at top and bottom. This is where the fram pivots.

I hear these are the best riding of the air-colled Harleys. I don't know anyone that has ridden a V-Rod vs. any other models.

The water-cooled does make riding in traffic nicer as the airflow to cool the cylinder isn't there, and the A/C harleys are good at overheating the back cylinder when travelling at low speed (rush hour).

I like the V-Rod myself, and if I were to have a bike I'd be hard pressed ot pick a single one... kinda like saws. Funny don't even have a bike because my MAD (Motorcycle... you know the rest) won't let me settle for just one :)

dw

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I did see that the suspension on the softtails was a little more hidden which is cool. I like the looks of the fatboy too :D

This guy brings in about $17k as it sits though, pushing muh budget lol, or at least my perceived/estimated budget. Hope it gets higher!

de_dubya

Reaction score
Just but 'em both, ride 'em for a bit then whichever you don't like, give it to me. Heck, I'll even come pick it up so you won't need to deliver, just 'cause I'm a nice guy and all.

dw

HEAVYFUEL

Reaction score
The nightster & the 883 iron Harleys seem to be gettin pretty popular.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Just but 'em both, ride 'em for a bit then whichever you don't like, give it to me. Heck, I'll even come pick it up so you won't need to deliver, just 'cause I'm a nice guy and all.

dw

If I could I would buy everyone a bike :D

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
Don't have my DM license but I had my permit for a couple years....

I'd frikkin' love to own a Harley V-Rod. It'll prolly never happen though - I'm too busy and I'll prolly never get around to another hobby to spend money and time on.....

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
The nightster & the 883 iron Harleys seem to be gettin pretty popular.

I gotta look a little harder at the rest of the lineup honestly. Gonna be hard to take my attention away from the vrod, but there are many options that look very appealing! Ill have to test a few to make the right choice. The biggest part will be the suspension.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Don't have my DM license but I had my permit for a couple years....

I'd frikkin' love to own a Harley V-Rod. It'll prolly never happen though - I'm too busy and I'll prolly never get around to another hobby to spend money and time on.....

It's definitely tough to wrap my head around it, I think I'd enjoy it more than a snowmobile. And I LOVE my sled, but can only ride it 2 maybe 3 months a year - if I have the time, probably only on a weekend. A bike I can either joyride or commute, for probably 6 months out of the year.

Gotta make time for the things you want, or else you're buried in needs!

de_dubya

Reaction score
...Gotta make time for the things you want, or else you're buried in needs!

Big AMEN to that. I have such a hard time justifying time for the wants when there are so many needs.

Want a boat, bike, and hotrod Mustang (not in that order or maybe so)... only use the three during warm months, nice weather.... ATV, chainsaw, hunting take up the cooler months.... How many hobbies are too many?

Here lately I keep thinking it be neat to have model train and do it up w/ a logging theme, mill yards rail cars of logs, logging trucks, mini Stihls felling the little fake trees... Yea like I have time or space for that one.

The ATV hasn't seen a trail this year, and the saws haven't been through a tank of gas each because of friggin school. Counting the days until Jul 17 when I am finished w/ this mess

dw

komatsuvarna

Reaction score
If i were to go Harley, it would probably be a V rod. Dad has a soft tail springer that looks alright and rides great, but its just not really my style. I had a couple street bikes before we had kids. Favorite one was an 05 GSXR 750, bought it new. We rode it for a year and wifey got pregnant and i sold it before i killed myself. Probably a wise decision on my end, i rode rm 125s then cr250s and my last dirt bike was a rmz 450. I didnt have much brains and i wasnt scared of any of them....i have the scars to prove it too lol.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
A friend of ours has a victory and he loves it, I wouldn't mind one of those I guess. Just somethin about that vrod :D

Maybe ill ask to test drive it first, see how that victory compares.

komatsuvarna

Reaction score
Shoooot, id just go ahead and get one if I were you. That way you could ride it a few times before December 21st.:laughing::laughing:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Is that the day the world ends? Who knew :p

Latest posts