Quantcast

How do you advertise?

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
Being out in the sticks like we are and having limited funds has always made advertising
a difficult usually futile task. Where we are there's a Penny Saver, Yellow Pages, Craigslist
and direct mailings are the only low budget forms of advertising. I'm trying to come up with low budget
forms of advertising not only to bring in business, but to let people know we're here.
What all do you guys do for advertising? and what has and hasn't worked?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I don't advertise anymore. I sponsor local events like school stuff and police/fire deals. This year I let my rep use my co-op on a group buy of TV ads to try it out, but I'd never buy ads just for myself. Other than that, word of mouth. Word of mouth has completely driven me, best advertising of all. It is also very slow to grow.

I did radio. I did print. They didn't work. I haven't done direct mailings yet, and will probably wait til next year. If I'm gonna advertise and not know if its gonna work, I'm at least gonna have half paid by someone else LOL.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
Stihl requires dealers to pay 3500$ per year to buy in for advertising it covers TV ads, newspaper and
the dealer website. We'd like to get rid of it, but either you pay for it or you're not on the Stihl dealer
locator on the Stihl USA website. You have to sell alot of chainsaws and trimmers to profit 3500$
to recoup the investment. That leaves very little money to do anything else.

I like the idea of sponsoring local events, helps out the town and gets people to know your company.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I'm happy we don't have that advertising lock in. Do you get your name mentioned in the ads? Or are they blanket Stihl ads? The ads we are doing are local and specific with our names on them.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
I'm happy we don't have that advertising lock in. Do you get your name mentioned in the ads? Or are they blanket Stihl ads? The ads we are doing are local and specific with our names on them.

In the TV ads no, but the newspaper ads they list all 27 million dealers that buy in.

I just checked with the local junior baseball league and for 200$ get a 4x6'
sign in the outfield, name on team uniforms, full page ad in the programs.
Or for 200$ I get a 1/8 page b&w ad for a week in the Penny Saver, hmmm tough choice.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I want to look into sponsoring a local Little League team, but last I heard the town I grew up in is losing teams left and right. Then again, I should be looking in the town the business is in.....

Latest posts