Quantcast

How much do you keep around?

Jimmy in NC

Mill Monkey
Reaction score
I've just got done building my second 372 in a year. At this point I've got a bunch of parts laying around from collecting and the 375K's that I've used to build them. The question I have is how much do you keep around spare? Most of these parts are already allocated as I don't think I'll ever wear either of these out and if I do... I'll get more parts. Storage is a problem at my current location but I got to wondering... how much do you keep and how do you sort it?

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Reaction score
If I have a saw I usually end up with at least one parts saw of the same model. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes not.

DSS

Steps right, throws right. Swings both ways.
Reaction score
Canada; where men are men and Cjcocn is a midget
I went to the dollar store and got rectangular plastic tubs for loose parts. I built shelves in the shed out back and I've got all my parts saws and tubs of loose parts out there. I got saws hanging from bicycle hooks screwed into the rafters in the garage. Plus shelves. And its still taking over. I occasionally find a complete saw I forgot I had. I need another or a bigger shed. Its crazy.

I love it. :banana:

Al Smith

Reaction score
Northwestern Ohio in the middle of a giant corn fi
Yeah I have those damned saws stuff hither and yon myself along with 40 tons of other stuff .It's a lot easier to rebuilt a saw though than it is a 1940 Caterpillar D4 and they take up a lot less room .On the other hand you can't cut wood with a bulldozer nor can you grade a driveway with a chainsaw.

Cut4fun

Reaction score
I keep the parts around as long as I am using that series of saws. Like when I was into 500- 5000-490-590-325 saws I kept all parts etc around. same with 362xp-365-372-375, same with 066-660, 084 etc. When I sale all the runners off I then sale or trade all the parts too. :upsidedownbanana:

Right now into the 415-425-445-475-505 and have tons of stuff back. I have reached the end of that fun and real close to start selling them all off and find a new saw to go after. :dunno:

Jimmy in NC

Mill Monkey
Reaction score
Yeah I have those damned saws stuff hither and yon myself along with 40 tons of other stuff .It's a lot easier to rebuilt a saw though than it is a 1940 Caterpillar D4 and they take up a lot less room .On the other hand you can't cut wood with a bulldozer nor can you grade a driveway with a chainsaw.

Did a '57 420C Deere. Lots of fun.

Chity_Avatar

Mows his grass in 8 minutes.
Reaction score
On the other hand you can't cut wood with a bulldozer nor can you grade a driveway with a chainsaw.

Depends on the operator. I have seen guys that could process wood better with a dozer than they could ever run a saw and I have seen guys try and cut stones like they were making gravel for the driveway.

procarbine2k1

Reaction score
Not much, and I have been guilty of sending parts down the road that I later needed. I should keep more around than I do, but just try to focus on what I think is going to be hard to find or obsolete in a few years.

sefh3

Reaction score
I keep most all parts. You never know when a donor comes along and you can use those parts to make it a runner.

Jimmy in NC

Mill Monkey
Reaction score
I keep most all parts. You never know when a donor comes along and you can use those parts to make it a runner.
I'd love to... but I just can't. If I did that I'd be working in the yard and storing parts in my shop. With a small space it's not possible. Half the fun sometimes is the searching for parts though.. or kicking you are own ass for getting rid of what you need today just last week!!!

sefh3

Reaction score
Usually that is my luck. I sell trade the parts off then a donor comes in needing the parts I traded.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Usually that is my luck. I sell trade the parts off then a donor comes in needing the parts I traded.

So ya made used part prices on parts you now have to pay retail for :facepalm: Ain't that a kick in the nads.

workshop

Reaction score
No real organization, yet. I walk, or stumble, into my shop and start wading through chainsaws and boxes of parts. Some day I'll get ambitious and organize it all. But if I do that I might not be able to find anything.

Latest posts