Quantcast

Huge dogs!!

CJ1

Reaction score
I did not even what to mention this on the other site but what is the deal with the huge felling dogs on some or most of the saws over there. The first thing I do with a new saw is pull the outer dog off so it does not chatch on my chaps. If I was out west and was dropping huge trees with deep bark channels I could see it but 99% of the huge dog users are small time firewood cutters. Maybe they need to sharpen their saw? Compensation for something too small elsewhere? Maybe!! Rant over. CJ

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I like a bigger dawg to hold the saw just a bit further away from the wood while I'm cutting. Don't care about the look of it. Wish the 562 had bigger dawgz as the muffler makes contact with the wood on the way down. I don't like that.

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Reaction score
The main reason I like the bigger ones is it gets the muffler and brake handle away from the wood a little bit when bucking. Some saws will really heat your hand up when bucking a big 40" log.

Work Saw Collector

WorkSaw....?? No. It's TwerkSaw.
Reaction score
Here is my 044 it has some crazy big spikes on it, not sure if they are staying or not. They are way bigger than the factory big spikes hard to tell in the pics.

You loose 3" of bar with these.

Attachments

• 001 (4).jpg
    001 (4).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Being a hobbyist I guess I have the novelty of not worrying about losing bar length. The only time I could have used a longer bar was when I'd have needed a 36" over the 18" I currently had. The dawgs certainly played no role in that cut :lol: I like the benefits of space from the log without having to hold the saw back. Tha gets tiring real quick. I guess the point that someone else added is the brake handle being kept back from hitting my hand.

Gink

Reaction score
I thought they looked cool when I first saw some, but then I got the displeasure of using a saw with them on and I quickly realized how much harder it made things. I think they are a PITA to use.

NORMZILLA44

Reaction score
For me they go on every saw. It is not a cool thing but a necessity. I buck large wood, it is nice cutting stumps too, you can handle the saw better, grab and walk it through. And a huge thing making undercuts it helps a bunch. Being able to bite in, and manuever the saw and angle it. The stock ones the saw keeps slipping off the tree.

CJ1

Reaction score
I thought they looked cool when I first saw some, but then I got the displeasure of using a saw with them on and I quickly realized how much harder it made things. I think they are a PITA to use.

Thats been my experience also. My dealer does not put the outer dogs on any saw I buy, he knows they will get thrown out. The only saw that I would have liked bigger ones on was my 385's and 390 so it would not bend the oil fill hole. CJ

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Reaction score
Those 5 pt pro safety are too big. I like their 4 point versions. If you ever back bar a felling cut or undercut and want to dig in the large ones are much better. I've not worried about loosing bar length. I have all kinds of bars to choose from to match the size wood I'm cutting. I usually don't use smaller than a 24" on anything 70cc and up.

NORMZILLA44

Reaction score
Yep Mike, and Mitch I agree right tool for the job. Some people think like the big bar thing, that they are for looks, but there is a real purpose. If somebody doesn't need em they don't need to use em, and probably a smaller saw and or bar size anyway.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
With all the 5 cubes I own, I just make sure one or two saws have them just incase I need them. They aren't always needed as stated and sometimes they do get in the way. I find I need them way less often than most might think. Having one or two saws with the big ole set on there comes in handy occasionally but most often the dual setup of the smaller ones work just fine for me....

the westspartan

Reaction score
I like them because they make me feel like a big man. Sometimes, if I am walking past a window, I pause to look at myself holding the saw and I flex my biceps. Whenever I put a new set on a saw I ask my wife to stand behind me and say things like, "Yeah baby, your a real logger" and "take your shirt off you dirty logger". When she does that I just keep working and then I go cut a cord of wood and dig them big ol' spikes in and just pull. Of course I have a video camera filming the whole thing.

But that is just me. Some guys don't like 'em and I am cool with that.

Latest posts